The Student Room Group

You get to start L6 from the beginning again. What do you do differently?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
That's why you apply for a maths degree so you get another 3 years of it - Woooo

Fair enough. I like maths, but not THAT much haha
Reply 21
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Maths and Further Maths it was all about constant work and past papers to be honest. I was just constantly doing them, especially in the earlier parts of the year, and did all the papers for every module multiple times. Hence high UMS in those. In the other two subjects, I didn't work quite as hard, but I made sure I understood exactly what was required of me by looking at the syllabuses and mark schemes and, again, past papers (though not so much in English). In English doing practice essays throughout the year, making detailed notes and memorising loads of quotes saw me through; in Physics just working from the textbook and doing questions, and also spending a lot of time thinking on the concepts to try to understand them fully as they were quite challenging.

Thanks - Is it worth doing Maths papers from other exam boards at the beginning of L6, so you don't use up papers from your board? I was already planning on doing tons of practice papers for the earlier modules in L6 (don't have to do any of the exams until U6, although I think I can choose to do 3 AS modules early, because our school has a linear system).
Reply 22
Original post by TheReader
Do IB.

TBH I can't really - unless I go to a much worse school...
Original post by petrus123
Wow, it wounds like you worked really hard.

Thankfully, I won't have to take any external exams next year (in L6) unless I do 3 Maths AS modules early (doing FM but my school uses a linear system)!

Ah right I see yeh the new alevels mean a lot of people can relax for the first year aha and yeh I entered some crazy non stop study mode from like 3 months before the exams and I kinda enjoyed it cause going into the exams feeling confident really makes a difference in your performance. You can never do too much revision I'd say :smile: - good luck for next year x
Reply 24
Maths and Further Maths it was all about constant work and past papers to be honest. I was just constantly doing them, especially in the earlier parts of the year, and did all the papers for every module multiple times. Hence high UMS in those. In the other two subjects, I didn't work quite as hard, but I made sure I understood exactly what was required of me by looking at the syllabuses and mark schemes and, again, past papers (though not so much in English). In English doing practice essays throughout the year, making detailed notes and memorising loads of quotes saw me through; in Physics just working from the textbook and doing questions, and also spending a lot of time thinking on the concepts to try to understand them fully as they were quite challenging.

Did you do STEP?
Reply 25
Thanks - Is it worth doing Maths papers from other exam boards at the beginning of L6, so you don't use up papers from your board? I was already planning on doing tons of practice papers for the earlier modules in L6 (don't have to do any of the exams until U6, although I think I can choose to do 3 AS modules early, because our school has a linear system).

I would just leave the papers till a bit later and do questions from exercise books earlier on.
Original post by willgyel
Fair enough. I like maths, but not THAT much haha

True I mean I may end up hating maths in a few months time - apparently proofs just mess with people's minds lol * send help *
Reply 27
Original post by fefssdf
Ah right I see yeh the new alevels mean a lot of people can relax for the first year aha and yeh I entered some crazy non stop study mode from like 3 months before the exams and I kinda enjoyed it cause going into the exams feeling confident really makes a difference in your performance. You can never do too much revision I'd say :smile: - good luck for next year x

Thanks :smile: Our school has done all of the exams (more or less) linearly, even the old modular ones. But I'll still have to work really hard to get good grades - we have internal exams some time around Easter that strongly affect our predicted grades, which are obviously really important...
Reply 28
Original post by B_9710
Did you do STEP?

Yeah, only STEP I, chickened out of entering for the others.
Original post by TheReader
Do IB.

I would have almost certainly done IB if you didn't have to learn a language. Having 6 subjects would have allowed me to pursue more of my interests. Also my sister did IB and it seemed like there was a nice sense of "community" with the 10 other IB students. They were definitely closer than the rest of us A level students.
Reply 30
I would just leave the papers till a bit later and do questions from exercise books earlier on.

OK - and what about other exam boards - yay or nay?
Original post by fefssdf
True I mean I may end up hating maths in a few months time - apparently proofs just mess with people's minds lol * send help *

haha hopefully not. Everyone has modules they don't like at uni, so just power through :smile:
Reply 32
OK - and what about other exam boards - yay or nay?

Might be worth doing some of their questions but I wouldn't dedicate a lot of time to them. Perhaps if you feel you've exhausted your board's papers and exercise questions.
Thanks :smile: Our school has done all of the exams (more or less) linearly, even the old modular ones. But I'll still have to work really hard to get good grades - we have internal exams some time around Easter that strongly affect our predicted grades, which are obviously really important...

Yeh I hhibk this is the issue now cause teachers will be making predictions based on mocks rather than AS exams and it's easy to just think it's only a mock and then people will be left with low predictions and won't get their uni offers but Then the likelihood is that they'll do a lot better in the real exams so idk I think the predictions will become pretty unreliable - at the moment they're already bad I mean I know mine aren't gonna be correct for at least 2 subjects - probably even all 3 tbh and the fact unis use them to make decisions means they have a lot of weighting - hopefully you get the predictions you want :smile:
Reply 34
Yeah, only STEP I, chickened out of entering for the others.

Ha. What'd you get?
Reply 35
Original post by B_9710
Ha. What'd you get?

Scraped a 1.
Reply 36
Might be worth doing some of their questions but I wouldn't dedicate a lot of time to them. Perhaps if you feel you've exhausted your board's papers and exercise questions.

OK - so use other boards for questions by topic, and save most practice papers for the end. Sounds good :smile:
Reply 37
Scraped a 1.

Nice. One last question. Where you studying at now?
Reply 38
Original post by B_9710
Nice. One last question. Where you studying at now?

Warwick :smile:
Reply 39
Warwick :smile:

That's where I'm probably looking at going.

Quick Reply

Latest