The Student Room Group

You get to start L6 from the beginning again. What do you do differently?

Scroll to see replies

i would have done science a-levels
instead of maths, it, economics and philosophy; i would have done further maths, maths, physics and computer science
Re think and choose my alevel courses, at the time I forced myself to do courses because I wanted to do history at university but it turned out the alevel courses I picked (ict, sociology, classics and modern history) weren't best suited to me. Modern history wasn't to my kind of history as I prefer studying wars etc like I did at GCSE level..but we studied communist Russia and the breakdown of Ireland so it wasn't to my taste..boring infact .a2 however was more interesting for me but I just couldn't see myself passing it and I dropped it 2 weeks before my exam. Classics, I loved it but I went around revising it wrong, I would've made flash cards for the roman architecture part compared to just making notes.

Although I had mitigating circumstances last year by having 2 surgeries etc I wished I attended college more than I did, half of the time I physically couldnt but the times where I was like 'I don't feel like it' I wish I literally forced myself to go in..so I wouldn't procrastinate as much and so I wouldn't be as far behind...

I just wish I prioritised my subjects more: ICT where little revision was needed didn't need to be a priority whereas classics needed to be but I went about it the wrong way... vice versa :frown:

Everything really. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Why do you say that? I enjoyed the sciences, but have settled on Maths, FM, Econ, Philosophy (so not dissimilar).
Reply 43
Original post by CaitlinN15
Re think and choose my alevel courses, at the time I forced myself to do courses because I wanted to do history at university but it turned out the alevel courses I picked (ict, sociology, classics and modern history) weren't best suited to me. Modern history wasn't to my kind of history as I prefer studying wars etc like I did at GCSE level..but we studied communist Russia and the breakdown of Ireland so it wasn't to my taste..boring infact .a2 however was more interesting for me but I just couldn't see myself passing it and I dropped it 2 weeks before my exam. Classics, I loved it but I went around revising it wrong, I would've made flash cards for the roman architecture part compared to just making notes.

Although I had mitigating circumstances last year by having 2 surgeries etc I wished I attended college more than I did, half of the time I physically couldnt but the times where I was like 'I don't feel like it' I wish I literally forced myself to go in..so I wouldn't procrastinate as much and so I wouldn't be as far behind...

I just wish I prioritised my subjects more: ICT where little revision was needed didn't need to be a priority whereas classics needed to be but I went about it the wrong way... vice versa :frown:

Everything really. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha you've probably done really well anyway :smile:
Original post by petrus123
Why do you say that? I enjoyed the sciences, but have settled on Maths, FM, Econ, Philosophy (so not dissimilar).

when i did maths i found out i am 10x better at logic/science based subjects than essay/writing subjects.
Reply 45
Oh, OK. That makes sense. Why didn't you switch then?
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm curious as to what people here would do differently if they could start L6 and all their A-level courses again.
Not have a nervous breakdown and as a result getting told I'm not welcome to return for A2.
Reply 47
Original post by Tootles
Not have a nervous breakdown and as a result getting told I'm not welcome to return for A2.

As a result of having a nervous breakdown? Or as a result of that affecting exam performance. Either way, that's really tough :frown:
As a result of having a nervous breakdown? Or as a result of that affecting exam performance. Either way, that's really tough :frown:
It made me do poorly in exams and I acted up a little too, was suffering with very bad depression and basically fell to pieces after the meatgrinder they called "school" - I even left school with PTSD, things were so bad.

None of that was known about at the time, though, which is why they got away with it.
If I could restart this year, I'd choose different subjects. I'd really think about what I wanted to do when I went to University and do A Levels that were more related to that field - I want to do a tech degree now, but thought I wanted to do a humanities degree when starting college.
I'd also be a bit more open and I'd attend college more than I did (something like 60% attendance), although I do have reasons why I couldn't go.
Haha you've probably done really well anyway :smile:

I haven't, not this year, thanks anyway.. my teacher forgot to give me half of the material for sociology, and I had surgery 2 weeks before my first exam so... my circumstances aren't the best this year. But thanks anyway, hope you do okay too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
I haven't, not this year, thanks anyway.. my teacher forgot to give me half of the material for sociology, and I had surgery 2 weeks before my first exam so... my circumstances aren't the best this year. But thanks anyway, hope you do okay too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh :frown: Are you retaking the year, or do you have other plans?
Oh :frown: Are you retaking the year, or do you have other plans?

It does depend, if my firm uni decide they'll take me regardless then that's fine but if I don't, I've got a job lined up at a chemist and I get an MVQ in dispensing so that'll be a good gap year job and I'll just resit my alevels :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
It does depend, if my firm uni decide they'll take me regardless then that's fine but if I don't, I've got a job lined up at a chemist and I get an MVQ in dispensing so that'll be a good gap year job and I'll just resit my alevels :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least you've got something lined up :smile:
I wouldnt change school. Besides that, would definitely do everything the same
Its one of the few regrets I have in my short life
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest