The Student Room Group

Alton Sterling is the 558th person to be killed by US police in 2016

Scroll to see replies

Why do people assume if a policeman kills someone, that person was innocent and non-violent?

Why won't the same people address the fact 90% of block people are killed by other black people in America due to gang related incidents?
Original post by Truths
I'm trying my best not to be pedantic here but OP is right there... and it just says.

Besides the generalisation, the other problem is that you used the term in context of police brutality, something I have yet to see BLM do earnestly.

I honestly think that they exacerbate police brutality. Sure, there are racist policemen. Sure they are psychotic policemen. However, the fact that there are tons of black police officers, some even in high positions, completely discredits their idea that the police are somehow systematically racist.

Quite frankly, I think BLM does more bad than good as it stirs up race tensions and distracts away from serious issues within the African American community, the most significant seeming to be the utterly massive problem of shattered families.
Original post by Manchester_123
Why do people assume if a policeman kills someone, that person was innocent and non-violent?

Why won't the same people address the fact 90% of block people are killed by other black people in America due to gang related incidents?

No one is saying he was innocent. People are upset because based on the video there was no real reason for him to be shot so many times. People suspect racist sentiments were involved . For me, no matter what race he was, there was no reason for him to be killed like that.

That is a different case because black on black violence is not due to racist sentiments.
But wasn't the guy killed just because he was selling cd's? Surely they could have just arrested him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrawbAri
No one is saying he was innocent. People are upset because based on the video there was no real reason for him to be shot so many times. People suspect racist sentiments were involved . For me, no matter what race he was, there was no reason for him to be killed like that.

That is a different case because black on black violence is not due to racist sentiments.

Everytime a white person kills a black person: RACIST

Everytime a black person kills a white person: NOT RACIST

That's your logic and why left wing idiots like you are becoming more and more irrelevant
Original post by Jawsomesauce35
But wasn't the guy killed just because he was selling cd's? Surely they could have just arrested him

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently he had a gun and threatened somebody.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/alton-sterling-article-1.2700893
Original post by Manchester_123
Everytime a white person kills a black person: RACIST

Everytime a black person kills a white person: NOT RACIST

That's your logic and why left wing idiots like you are becoming more and more irrelevant

Calm down dear.

I don't remember mentioning that in my post so I don't know where you got that from. Throwing around unwarranted insults makes you seem like a troll as well.
You asked about black on black violence not black on white.
And no not every white on black incident is due to racism. Not sure how you inferred that from my post.
Reply 27
Original post by TercioOfParma
I honestly think that they exacerbate police brutality. Sure, there are racist policemen. Sure they are psychotic policemen. However, the fact that there are tons of black police officers, some even in high positions, completely discredits their idea that the police are somehow systematically racist.

That's precisely the problem and what BLM is fighting against.

Quite frankly, I think BLM does more bad than good as it stirs up race tensions and distracts away from serious issues within the African American community, the most significant seeming to be the utterly massive problem of shattered families.

Policing also has a role to play in "shattered families"
Reply 28

There is a 99% chance the police officers made that up to cover their asses.
Original post by Truths
That's precisely the problem and what BLM is fighting against.

Policing also has a role to play in "shattered families"

Lets not beat around the bush, BLM has only increased the racial tensions. Also, the blacks being killed by the police are not the leading reason for shattered families, black on black murders are far far worse, as are drug issues and endemic poverty, as well as African american culture to a lesser extent.

Original post by Truths
There is a 99% chance the police officers made that up to cover their asses.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. We'll never know for certain.
Lets not beat around the bush, BLM has only increased the racial tensions. Also, the blacks being killed by the police are not the leading reason for shattered families, black on black murders are far far worse, as are drug issues and endemic poverty, as well as African american culture to a lesser extent.

Now now what are you doing? You cant post comments like that, you have to post definitive comments based on what probably biased witnesses have said and what can be seen on grainy camera footage, waiting for official reports or waiting for all facts to come to light is a silly thing to do,
There's a new video showing he does have a gun in his pocket at the time of the shooting.

Not hard to imagine the officers saw a hand going for the gun and panicked.
BLM have not achieved any positive changes whatsoever.

Anyway, before I'll jump on my high horse, I'll wait until we know what he'd done.
Reply 33
Lets not beat around the bush, BLM has only increased the racial tensions.

According to who? I doubt you've ever stepped foot in America. Of course there is going to be more tension, before social media and cameraphones police officers were being held to account by the public as they are today. The tension is not the problem. The systematic racism is.

Also, the blacks being killed by the police are not the leading reason for shattered families,

Never said it was. But the war on drugs has taken 100,000s of black men away from their families and behind bars.

Although the whole "decline of the nuclear family in the black community" spiel is an over exaggerated card. There are economic impacts, but thats where it ends. People try to link it to crime, they are incorrect.

black on black murders are far far worse,

I'm sorry to break it to you but "black on black crime" is also a fallacy.
"From 1980 through 2008, 84 percent of white victims were killed by whites and 93 percent of black victims were killed by blacks."

http://www.politifact.com/florida/article/2015/may/21/updated-look-statistics-black-black-murders/
as are drug issues and endemic poverty,

You can thank the FBI for playing the part introducing crack cocaine into the black community. And endemic poverty on redlining.

What we do know is that until we hear a 911 dispatcher call to verify such, it is alleged and not "apparent"
Yes his kids just lost a father, and a wife lost her husband, but this pisses me off to see #ripaltonsterling. Everyone just assumes this was a racist attack and don't even research the event. This guy is a convicted felon, spent 5 years in prison, owner of an illegal firearm, sex offender, in possession of drugs, is a blood gang member. The police got a call saying he was carrying a gun, so when they have him restrained and he reaches for his pocket... Would you also be willing to just assume this report is false? I'm not saying it's right, but police officers have to make split second decisions that many of you can't do
Reply 35
Original post by Alextaylor6
Yes his kids just lost a father, and a wife lost her husband, but this pisses me off to see #ripaltonsterling. Everyone just assumes this was a racist attack and don't even research the event. This guy is a convicted felon, spent 5 years in prison, owner of an illegal firearm, sex offender, in possession of drugs, is a blood gang member. The police got a call saying he was carrying a gun, so when they have him restrained and he reaches for his pocket... Would you also be willing to just assume this report is false? I'm not saying it's right, but police officers have to make split second decisions that many of you can't do

Where are you getting this information from?
Reply 37

If this is legit, it doesn't look good for his case. But at the same time every citizen is legally entitled to due process, felon or not. Smearing him doesn't really erase what transpired on tape.
Original post by Truths
If this is legit, it doesn't look good for his case. But at the same time every citizen is legally entitled to due process, felon or not. Smearing him doesn't really erase what transpired on tape.

Yep I agree, I'm just saying that I don't like how this is being viewed as a disgusting cold blooded murder and racial attack, there is much more to it
Reply 39
Original post by Alextaylor6
Yep I agree, I'm just saying that I don't like how this is being viewed as a disgusting cold blooded murder and racial attack, there is much more to it

It can still be a cold blooded murder regardless of his rap sheet. Those wore after all crimes he committed almost 10 years ago. What actually matter is what what happened at the scene of the event. As for racism, his criminal record doesn't make the officers any less racist, to determine that we must investigate their history. But as per usual it is the black victims dirty laundry that is publicised first and foremost...

Quick Reply