The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
"Homophobia is the hatred or fear of homosexuals - that is, lesbians and gay men - sometimes leading to acts of violence and expressions of hostility. Homophobia is not confined to any one segment of society, and can be found in people from all walks of life." I have no hatred towards gay people but you are saying not agreeing with it makes me a homophobe, using that does not agreeing with some of the teachings of Islam make me islamophobic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 81
Also I don't want to sound bigoted but I honestly don't know what people mean by you can't help that you are gay, how can you be born gay. I'm not taking the piss I honestly want to know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by King_ajk
Also I don't want to sound bigoted but I honestly don't know what people mean by you can't help that you are gay, how can you be born gay. I'm not taking the piss I honestly want to know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe there are environmental factors. But if you are straight I would ask the question: can you choose to be gay? Could you suddenly decide to be sexually attracted to the same sex?
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic? today i was talking to this gay male on the train and we were talking about how he came out to his family and how they reacted. he asked me my view and i said i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. but i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality because that is being a *****y person, i would not treat someone differently because they are gay i see everyone equal. he said fair enough and then i asked if he thought i was homophobic or bigoted he said no as everyone is entitled to their opinions and im not mistreating homosexuals. but this lady overheard and started shouting about how i was homophobic everyone on the carriage heard and looked, made me feel like **** for having an opinion. on my way home i am homophobic ,i see homophobic people as bully and i dont think i am one . i wanna know if others feel the same way as the lady. btw im an atheist,not religious before anyone says im a sheep for following old books

I agree with what the man on the train said to you. You can think whatever you want and are entitled to your own opinion as long as you don't harm anyone. He asked you for your views and you just gave them to him, hopefully in a polite manner, I don't see what you did wrong. I think it would have been worse to lie to him.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Maybe there are environmental factors. But if you are straight I would ask the question: can you choose to be gay? Could you suddenly decide to be sexually attracted to the same sex?

Yes, get a sex change.
Reply 85
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

Fair enough but I have come across arguments like people are born gay , how does that work? I'm curious 🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Yes, get a sex change.

Well played
Reply 87
Original post by niv1234
I agree with what the man on the train said to you. You can think whatever you want and are entitled to your own opinion as long as you don't harm anyone. He asked you for your views and you just gave them to him, hopefully in a polite manner, I don't see what you did wrong. I think it would have been worse to lie to him.

Of course I was polite, we talked for ages about his life it was nice and peaceful then the lady interrupted and turned it like I hated him which I of course didn't. He even gave me his number just incase I wanted to ask anymore questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough but I have come across arguments like people are born gay , how does that work? I'm curious 🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no proven theory on it, it's all speculation. It seems likely it's natural, however for example no "gay gene" has been found. I personally think it's environmental, but that's just an opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know as I'm not gay. But I guess its just the same as you would presumably say you were born straight as in you've only ever felt attraction to a certain gender for your whole life. Personally I've never felt any sort of attraction to anyone and I don't think I ever will and yes I do think I was born this way. I'm happy with it and wouldn't have it any other way and I think it would be the same for gay people.
Reply 90
Original post by niv1234
I don't know as I'm not gay. But I guess its just the same as you would presumably say you were born straight as in you've only ever felt attraction to a certain gender for your whole life. Personally I've never felt any sort of attraction to anyone and I don't think I ever will and yes I do think I was born this way. I'm happy with it and wouldn't have it any other way and I think it would be the same for gay people.

Is there a term for not being sexually attracted to anyone ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course I was polite, we talked for ages about his life it was nice and peaceful then the lady interrupted and turned it like I hated him which I of course didn't. He even gave me his number just incase I wanted to ask anymore questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then I don't see anything wrong with what you did. Everybody has their own opinion, I think that that lady was in the wrong here.
Sexuality is so clearly a choice, I don't see why people get so aggressive when others disagree with that choice.

You can't use the argument of a gay person saying "If you offered me the choice any day, I'd choose not to be gay" because it's not like that. For example, say you sit some exams and fail them because you did not work hard enough. Afterwards, of course you would say if you had the choice you'd want to pass them, but that's clearly not the case, as you chose to not work harder. Indirect choices are still choices.

I'm still of the opinion that it's worse to force an opinion on someone else than it is to have an opinion that many disagree with.
Reply 93

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not sure that that argument holds up. If that were the case surely the only factors would be genetic, but there are plenty of identical twins who do not share the same sexuality. I think it must be quite a complex and nuanced thing. Perhaps "born gay" is not so accurate, but I think the point is that preferences will be fairly fixed from quite a young age, and there is no reason to think the individual themselves can have a tangible purposeful impact on their own sexuality.
I don't think it makes you homophobic for having an opinion or disagreeing with being gay. As long as there is not hate towards them.

For an example, if I were to disagree that batman is weaker than superman, does that make me batmophobic? Because I disagree with that statement?

No of course not lol

But if I were to hate on batman and talk sh*t about him, then It makes me batmophobic.

It's probably a bad analogy but you get my point XD

batman will totally kick superman ass
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Sexuality is so clearly a choice, I don't see why people get so aggressive when others disagree with that choice.

You can't use the argument of a gay person saying "If you offered me the choice any day, I'd choose not to be gay" because it's not like that. For example, say you sit some exams and fail them because you did not work hard enough. Afterwards, of course you would say if you had the choice you'd want to pass them, but that's clearly not the case, as you chose to not work harder. Indirect choices are still choices.

I'm still of the opinion that it's worse to force an opinion on someone else than it is to have an opinion that many disagree with.

Could you (presumably as a straight person) choose to become sexually aroused by a member of the same sex right now?
Is there a term for not being sexually attracted to anyone ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

asexual fam
Original post by ByEeek
So if everyone is equal and can do as they please, what have you against homosexuality? It doesn't affect you. You are not involved. It is no concern of yours. So why the anguish? Homosexuality isn't a choice. It is just how some people are. You can believe it to be wrong, but it doesn't work like that. It isn't a lifestyle choice just as you don't choose to be heterosexual.

To think about how it feels, flip the argument around and imagine that heterosexuality was the taboo combination and that homosexuality were the norm. How would you feel if people voiced the sort of opinion you just have.

Live and let live. No one did any harm by being gay.

Strange, here you are claiming to be a defender of homosexuality but elsewhere you are a champion of Islam claiming it is peaceful and tolerant. Surely the support of both is mutually exclusive?
How is the OP homophobic? He was asked a question based on his opinions on a topic and he was honest about it! So, OP should have lied and pretended he liked homosexuality just to avoid being labeled homophobic? Not everyone likes homosexuality or has to like homosexuality. Its not part of the law, Its against the law to inflect harm on someone for their sexuality or use gay slurs but it isn't against the law for having an opinion that against the majority or minority. How does having a different opinion on homosexuality personally affecting anyone's life? Its like saying you have a negative opinion on a specific actress/actor therefore you're affecting my daily life because of your negative opinion, and have hatred stored in your heart because of that opinion.
Original post by Manchester_123
Strange, here you are claiming to be a defender of homosexuality but elsewhere you are a champion of Islam claiming it is peaceful and tolerant. Surely the support of both is mutually exclusive?

I am a defender against people like yourself who make sweeping statements.

Latest