The Student Room Group

Brexit: The Fairy tale told by UKIP

I don't think you understand the modern world. Let me explain my world to you. I guess its spread the love time....

Once upon a time some companies came into existence: Easyjet, Ryan Air, FlyBe, Monarch and one or two others. They enabled people, like myself to go anywhere in Europe, work and come home week-ends (or Friday Night, Monday Morning). Now there are millions of people like me all over europe doing this. British people are amongst the biggest group who work in the EU and come home week-ends. We use the right of free movement more than most.

Now just when we were settled in and quite comfy, along came a big bad troll called UKIP and they said "this EU is really naughty, you can work in the USA or India or Africa but not the EU"....

We replied to the big bad troll "But UKIP you cant get Ryan air to India or the USA" But the big bad troll would not listen to reason. He said, "you all have to stop. We cant have people flying all over Europe working. Everyone must go to their own countries and stay there."

And you know what children, as hard as it to believe, people actually voted for this.

And now they wonder why millions of us are in tears.

UKIPers are beyond belief, but alas they do exist, they are not a fairy tale, there are actual people who believe we all have to live in our own countries and thats that.

Hug a UKIPer , perhaps they will snap out of it

They do love a conspiracy theory so perhaps...

Conspiracy theory:
Big bad American companies - Google, Amazon and Starbucks.
They do not want to pay their taxes.
The EU want them to pay taxes
They try and destroy the EU...
They get their mates: Murdoch, Daily Mail and Spoons
to break the UK away with Johnson and Gove thrown in.
Now the EU and UK all fight to have lower and lower taxes and the pound
tanks and the American carpet baggers take all the money.

The end.
The UKIP voice says: The Vote is ended, you cant vote again children its time for beddie bys
No more votes for you children.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yawn! Morning?
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
Yawn! Morning?

Someone liked my above post if you didn't...
Yet, here's the reality:

FTSE 100 (multinational financial institutions in London) is at its highest levels since August 2015.
FTSE 250 (big corporations in the UK) is still a bit sluggish but has been rising ever since Brexit. It has went from -13.65% to -8.56%.
FTSE 350 (big and medium sized corporations in the UK) is at its highest level since August 2015.

Barack Obama:
Pre-Brexit = "Britain will be at the back of the trade queue"
Post-Brexit = "Britain will remain an indispensable trading partner with the US"

Pound to Dollar
"While the downward pressure on the pound has increased in response to some adverse post-referendum developments, we have long argued that a substantially lower exchange rate would be an important factor helping to limit the economic damage of a vote to leave the European Union,” says Jonathan Loynes at Capital Economics. Loynes opines that the Pound’s weakness has been widely presented as a negative development. This is certainly a perception propagated by the media. We ourselves are guilty of presenting a stronger currency as a better outcome, the repetitive use of the words ‘stronger’ and ‘weaker’ when describing currency moves confirm an inherently bias. The message from Loynes is that we should not panic about the Pound as the single biggest factor behind the pound’s fall has been a substantial shift in expectations for UK interest rates,” says Loynes.

International Community
If Britain were to go into a period of economic recession, it would have global ramifications on major international market economies which is against the will of the entire international community. Since we've voted to leave, we've had assurances from many countries arguing that a free trade deal with the UK post-Brexit, especially from Canada and Australia, is possible and will be made a priority. Given that the UK is also a major trading partner with the EU, should the European Union close its doors to the UK the consequences would be grave for both sides, especially for Germany with whom Britain is a major trading partner.

Where will big business go?
Large corporations who operate in Europe are only going to entertain relocation in two locations: Germany and France, as these are seen as major economies with access to the EU. However, corporation tax is higher in France and Germany than it is in London, as too is the top rate of income tax and capital gains tax. London is one of the biggest financial powers in the world and the city of London is loved by bankers and entrepreneurs because of its diverse, eccentric and business friendly persona.

Summary
The UK will enter a period of economic turbulence, especially when we don't know who the next leader is, the future of Scotland, when Article 50 will be triggered and whether there'll be a second General Election. However, hysteria is not what we need at this point and scaremongering is never welcomed even on a good day. Britain has voted to leave the EU, get over it. What we need to do now is work together to ensure the best outcome post-Brexit.
Reply 4
Original post by jake4198
Yet, here's the reality:

FTSE 100 (multinational financial institutions in London) is at its highest levels since August 2015..

Using the dollar as the benchmark currency (eg what you could have got if you invested in the USA instead) the FTSE is probably about 8% down and could easily be 20% down before too long

You have to remember a pound is worth a lot less now - so for the FTSE to be up in REAL terms is a bit of a tall order.

I'm afraid you have fallen for more UKIP lies. FTSE up that would be another UKIP fairy tale

Using words like "hysteria" is not helpful to people who are facing the sack.
(edited 7 years ago)
I love it how I guessed correctly who posted this without even reading the OP.
What is stopping you from going to any EU Country?
Reply 7
Original post by Iknowbest
What is stopping you from going to any EU Country?

BREXIT!
Original post by FredOrJohn
BREXIT!

WOW... really.. you can no longer travel to Europe? You had your passport confiscated or something?
Yet, here's the reality:

FTSE 100 (multinational financial institutions in London) is at its highest levels since August 2015.
FTSE 250 (big corporations in the UK) is still a bit sluggish but has been rising ever since Brexit. It has went from -13.65% to -8.56%.

Just more nonsense.

FTSE 250 companies make 50% of their earnings inside of the UK vs FTSE 100 companies that make 20% of their earnings in the UK.

Is it any surprise that the 250 is still down in an already depressed stock market? No.

Furthermore, they are rebounding because Carney announced an Interest rate cut last week. Add into that, if you actually look at the FTSE 250 and 100, the companies (IE property) that are most exposed to the UK were the worst affected by Brexit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
WOW... really.. you can no longer travel to Europe? You had your passport confiscated or something?

Will be soon (see the words on the very top line "EUROPEAN UNION")

Thanks for nothing BRexit
Yet, here's the reality:

Where will big business go?
Large corporations who operate in Europe are only going to entertain relocation in two locations: Germany and France, as these are seen as major economies with access to the EU. However, corporation tax is higher in France and Germany than it is in London, as too is the top rate of income tax and capital gains tax. London is one of the biggest financial powers in the world and the city of London is loved by bankers and entrepreneurs because of its diverse, eccentric and business friendly persona.

Do you actually have any facts?

Financial institutions have already started looking to move. The entire regulatory process will take 6-12 months.

" M&G, Columbia Threadneedle, Legg Mason, Fidelity International and T Rowe Price have all outlined intentions to either move staff out of the UK capital, increase staff numbers in the EU, or set up fund ranges in neighbouring EU countries in fear of being locked out of European fundraising."

"Fidelity International, which opened its office in London in 1973 and manages £190bn of assets, has announced it will move 100 staff to Ireland but said the shift was planned before the UK referendum result. It already employs 65 staff in Dublin"

https://next.ft.com/content/a3a92744-3a52-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7

https://next.ft.com/content/080f6a48-3fa0-11e6-9f2c-36b487ebd80a

Stop lying.

There is going to be a recession. There will be major cuts. There have already been job losses.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
I don't think you understand the modern world. Let me explain my world to you. I guess its spread the love time....

Once upon a time some companies came into existence: Easyjet, Ryan Air, FlyBe, Monarch and one or two others. They enabled people, like myself to go anywhere in Europe, work and come home week-ends (or Friday Night, Monday Morning). Now there are millions of people like me all over europe doing this. British people are amongst the biggest group who work in the EU and come home week-ends. We use the right of free movement more than most.

Now just when we were settled in and quite comfy, along came a big bad troll called UKIP and they said "this EU is really naughty, you can work in the USA or India or Africa but not the EU"....

We replied to the big bad troll "But UKIP you cant get Ryan air to India or the USA" But the big bad troll would not listen to reason. He said, "you all have to stop. We cant have people flying all over Europe working. Everyone must go to their own countries and stay there."

And you know what children, as hard as it to believe, people actually voted for this.

UKIPers are beyond belief, but alas they do exist, they are not a fairy tale, there are actual people who believe we all have to live in our own countries and thats that.

Conspiracy theory:

The end.
The UKIP voice says: The Vote is ended, you cant vote again children its time for beddie bys

Let it go John

Spoiler

Original post by DorianGrayism
Do you actually have any facts?

Financial institutions have already started looking to move. The entire regulatory process will take 6-12 months.

" M&G, Columbia Threadneedle, Legg Mason, Fidelity International and T Rowe Price have all outlined intentions to either move staff out of the UK capital, increase staff numbers in the EU, or set up fund ranges in neighbouring EU countries in fear of being locked out of European fundraising."

"Fidelity International, which opened its office in London in 1973 and manages £190bn of assets, has announced it will move 100 staff to Ireland but said the shift was planned before the UK referendum result. It already employs 65 staff in Dublin"

https://next.ft.com/content/a3a92744-3a52-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7

https://next.ft.com/content/080f6a48-3fa0-11e6-9f2c-36b487ebd80a

Stop lying.

There is going to be a recession. There will be major cuts. There have already been job losses.

All news articles from today. I think you need to run back to the Guardian.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3664539/British-banks-thrive-Europe-Loophole-allow-lenders-doing-business-reforms-set-introduced-2018.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/osborne-pleads-with-big-banks-to-stay-in-u-k-1467895836

http://uk.businessinsider.com/r-investment-banks-tell-uks-osborne-they-will-help-london-after-brexit-vote-2016-7

Conspiracy theory:

The end.

if you believe exiting an organisation called the European Union will stop travel to a continent called Europe then I hope your passport is confiscated as you are clearly a danger to yourself & others.

Actually all of the quotes were from the FT not the Guardian......

Hahaha. Nothing you have written even contradicts what I said.

For your first article, they will just close the loophole once it is used.

" ‘In principle it might work, but it’s not as simple as that Mifid only covers a certain amount of products in certain ways,’ he said. "

How about you reply to the fact that financial institutions are already shifting jobs outside the UK and there will be a recession and cuts later this year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Wonderful story, totally agree with it. Even if we do leave us remainers a will never stop protesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Conspiracy theory:

The end.

You speak of Great Britain as though she were a business but she is not. She is my home and one that my ancestors played a big part in building. Destroying my culture, racial identity and turning Britain into something it has never been just so you can work here is not right.

If the British people want to retain who they are that is more important than you getting to work here.

50 - 60 years ago the country was basically 100% white. There are now four cities were white Brits are the minority and there are many more where that will follow. Not allowing this to happen must take precedent over anything else.

Either way. It doesn't matter as what you think is irrelevant. We are out and that is it. Democracy isn't going to be overturned because one idiot like you is complaining so deal with it.
Reply 18

You are being obtuse.
Will be soon (see the words on the very top line "EUROPEAN UNION":wink:

Thanks for nothing BRexit

So you have struggled to get to none EU Countries in the past I take it? Brexit is not going to stop people traveling..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending