The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Will this be enough money for uni?

I'm going to money in September and currently have about £2000 from. The way my summer is going though i'll probably only have about £1500 of personal money left. My student loan will be £8000 and the accommodation is £95 per week. I'm moving to Aberystwyth so it's not that expensive there. If i don't manage to get a part time job will i have enough to live fairly comfortably?
You should be okay, just don't go spending all of your money on nights out and take away. You don't have to draw up a huge budget plan, just keep a sensible head.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Wait, are you talking about living off this money for 3 years or what?
Also, what is this student loan you're speaking of :/

I am a polish soon-to-be student (hopefully) and I too will have around £1500 when I come, plus £1000 from EU bursary and thats it, which means I will have to find a part time job ASAP or starve lol. I guess this student loan is only for UK ppl and not for EU ppl?
(edited 7 years ago)
Around 5-6k a year will go on rent/bills so the rest should be enough for food and other expenses

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sophieacain
You should be okay, just don't go spending all of your money on nights out and take away. You don't have to draw up a huge budget plan, just keep a sensible head.

Hey I've seen you post on a few threads so I'm taking you're a student there, so it would be easier to ask you. How does the accommodation £400 off work? As I had an unconditional offer on my UNIS was I automatically given it when I chose Aberystwyth?

Also is it taken off weekly? And how will I know if I have the Aberystwyth bursary?

Thank you :colondollar:
The way the Bursary works for accommodation is that £400 gets taken off the total amount, and then the termly rates get recalculated. Lets say your accommodation is £95 a week, which is £3712.80 total. Minus £400 from it gives you is £3311.49 (the uni doesn't know how to do maths). For the first term it will cost £1125.91, and for the 2nd and 3rd terms it will cost £1092.79

This is for last years prices - It looks like it's sneaked up by £10 or so, but that's negatable
Also don't forget the £100 deposit - but you do get this back at the end of the year
Original post by asrash
Wait, are you talking about living off this money for 3 years or what?
Also, what is this student loan you're speaking of :/

I am a polish soon-to-be student (hopefully) and I too will have around £1500 when I come, plus £1000 from EU bursary and thats it, which means I will have to find a part time job ASAP or starve lol. I guess this student loan is only for UK ppl and not for EU ppl?

The loan is for UK and EU students providing that the EU soon to be uni student has lived in the UK for a minimum of 5 years before starting their uni course.
Original post by Lauren56724
Hey I've seen you post on a few threads so I'm taking you're a student there, so it would be easier to ask you. How does the accommodation £400 off work? As I had an unconditional offer on my UNIS was I automatically given it when I chose Aberystwyth?

Also is it taken off weekly? And how will I know if I have the Aberystwyth bursary?

Thank you :colondollar:

Yeah I've just finished my first year. I got £400 off my first year accommodation as well. You get it if you put Aber down as your first choice. It is automatically taken off at the start of the year. I chose to pay my accommodation in three parts over the entire year (so once a term), I just paid £133 per payment than those who didn't put Aber as their first choice. I'm not sure about the bursary as I do not have one, I think you will be emailed about it to your aber.ac.uk account if you have access to that yet, it will also be on your Student Record.

Quick Reply

Latest