The Student Room Group

Books to read as a 'beginner'

I'm 16 years old and have not really read any books. I read the entire Hunger Games triology and all the books in A series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket but nothing else.

I'd like to get into reading but don't know where to start. I'm preferably looking for very popular books which a lot of people know about around my age group.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BTAnonymous
x

A few suggestions:
Harry Potter
The Divergent series (should be good if you liked The Hunger Games)
The Twilight series
The Fault in Our Stars

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Harry Potter is a good suggestion, a lot of people will have read those. Perhaps Twilight also.

I suppose the problem wiith your age group is that they're not very likely to read at all (same goes for my age group and I'm 4 years older).

Reading isn't really a skill as such, just read what you think you'll enjoy. I read various things of different genres - today I finished a Stephen King horror novel, then started reading a German novel and then took out a history book; The only one of those that'll be popular is the Stephen King one (but even then it's not the most famous) but that shouldn't matter when choosing a book.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a good place to start. It's a literary masterpiece and a step up from The Hunger Games books.
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is awesome.
Original post by Quantex
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a good place to start. It's a literary masterpiece and a step up from The Hunger Games books.

OMG
:rofl:

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by Quantex

That book was great.
Reply 7
Hatchet is an ABSOLUTE MUST. I was exactly in your position in that age and someone recommended Hatchet. It's 5 book series, but very small each about 100 pages and they are absolutely amazing. They opened up so much. From that point I didn't stop reading.

After that The Hobbit.
Original post by Quantex

Sounds like an interesting book... I'll look into it :clap2:
Reply 9
The Cherub series was pretty good
IMO it largely depends on what genres you like, it'd be good to read from a variety of them so you can get an idea, but just as a suggestion perhaps read books in a genre similar to the film genres you like?
I definitely agree with Harry Potter and the other suggestions above. Here are a few more:
All of John Green's Books
The Gallagher Girls books by Ally Carter
The Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness
The Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices Series by Cassandra Clare
The Gone books by Michael Grant
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Noughts and Crosses books by Malorie Blackman
All of Neil Gaiman's books
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

You could also try a few modern classics:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
1984 by George Orwell

I hope you find something you enjoy! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone remember the tiger who came to tea? image.jpg
Original post by 1998RF
Does anyone remember the tiger who came to tea? image.jpg

Of course! Did you ever read We're Going On a Bear Hunt? I used to love that one so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooh, feeling really nostalgic now! Did anyone read the Hairy Maclary books? I always loved the different descriptions of the dogs... Muffin McLay like a bundle of hay, Bottomly Pots covered in spots and of course Schnitzel von Krumm with the very low tum :tongue:
Reply 17
Animal Farm by George Orwell: simple, short, but not for 5 year olds...I think
Original post by Matrix123
Of course! Did you ever read We're Going On a Bear Hunt? I used to love that one so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those were the days!
Original post by 1998RF
Those were the days!

:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest