The Student Room Group

Alton Sterling is the 558th person to be killed by US police in 2016

Scroll to see replies

And how many policeman have been injured or killed on duty in the last year?

A lot of these videos seem like "police brutality" and trigger happy cops, but when you see a few videos next to it on youtube of a drug dealer shooting a cop and his partner dead you can realize how these incidents can escalate.
Alton Sterling, who had two previous convictions for violent crimes, was armed with gun at the time of the altercation. When wrestling him to the ground, one of the officers saw this and audibly shouted "he's got a gun!" A few seconds later (out of clear view) we hear the gunshots from the police.

While the presently available video shows him pinned for a time, it cannot be seen that both of his arms are fully restrained the whole time. We also don't have a clear view of Sterling at the moment of his shooting.

Until there's more evidence, it would be premature to say he was 'murdered.' He may well have never reached for his gun, but we aren't able to see this. People are once again jumping to conclusions with only limited information.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
My first reaction to it was that it was murder but the fact he was armed and resisted arrest have made me doubt my first reaction and if he did reach for a]the gun which has been said then I support the police but we have to wait to hopefully see an angle with his right hand.
Original post by surina16
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36721584

For anyone who hasn't already heard about the tragic murder of Alton Sterling.

Video footage: https://twitter.com/iKeepItTooReal/status/750517889632010240

Guardian's count on number of people killed by police in the USA: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/series/counted-us-police-killings

So where are the threads for the other 557? It's a simple fact that if your being arrested, especially as a black in America, one of the stupidest things to do is try to resist arrest. It's also interesting that these videos are always"started" just before anything happens, there is never the cause involved, but then it's a lot harder to call them pigs if you also show them doing their job

Posted from TSR Mobile
RIGHT SO WE HAVE ANOTHER ONE:

https://twitter.com/SeveralChains/status/750902003140685824?s=09

Killed in front of his girlfriend and 4 year old daughter (whose words at the end are actually heartbreaking).
Not a threat at all yet murdered by the police.
Reply 45
Original post by Jammy Duel
So where are the threads for the other 557? It's a simple fact that if your being arrested, especially as a black in America, one of the stupidest things to do is try to resist arrest. It's also interesting that these videos are always"started" just before anything happens, there is never the cause involved, but then it's a lot harder to call them pigs if you also show them doing their job

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you also noticed the big protests occur when someone with a long rap sheet is shot?

Also the majority majority are white people killed by police and the highest rate of killings is against the Native American population but silence on those killings.

#nativeamericanlivesmatter
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
Have you also noticed the big protests occur when someone with a long rap sheet is shot?

Also the majority majority are white people killed by police and the highest rate of killings is against the Native American population but silence on those killings.

#nativeamericanlivesmatter

The fact that these killings happen at all show there is a big problem with the American police force.

Also white police on white killings aren't racially motivated there's a high chance this one was.

Also black people are allowed to be frustrated and protest. Because no one else starts protests for the killings of their own race doesn't mean black people shouldn't have to get upset about it when it happens to them
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri
The fact that these killings happen at all show there is a big problem with the American police force.

Also white police on white killings aren't racially motivated there's a high chance this one was.

Also black people are allowed to be frustrated and protest. Because no one else starts protests for the killings of their own race doesn't mean black people shouldn't have to get upset about it when it happens to them

Black person killed-racially motivated
Hispanic killed- possibly racially motivated
White person killed- nah, they were a bad person

And engaging in protests that will almost certainly turn violent doesn't exactly help the cause now, does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoever trys to defend the police is a disgusting human being, there is a video ffs.

The man is on the ****ing floor 2 police 1 of him. Surely the police are trained to easily arrest him, rather than kill?
Black person killed-racially motivated
Hispanic killed- possibly racially motivated
White person killed- nah, they were a bad person

And engaging in protests that will almost certainly turn violent doesn't exactly help the cause now, does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't condone police killings or any type of killings but why would a white police man killing another white person be racially motivated?

And I didn't say every time a black person is killed by police it is racially motivated it's just that in this case it is likely because of the video though if any information comes out that Alton was in anyway threatening the life of the police man then I'll repeal my stance.

I'm not a supporter of the BLM movement because of their violence but black people are still allowed to be upset on social media.
Why should I care what happens to some criminal in a country far away?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Whoever trys to defend the police is a disgusting human being, there is a video ffs.

The man is on the ****ing floor 2 police 1 of him. Surely the police are trained to easily arrest him, rather than kill?

I raise you Charles Dozsa, look him up, rather interesting arrest and either the Australian police in the 80s were truly pathetic or it's not as easy to arrest someone who is resisting as you think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrawbAri
I don't condone police killings or any type of killings but why would a white police man killing another white person be racially motivated?

And I didn't say every time a black person is killed by police it is racially motivated it's just that in this case it is likely because of the video though if any information comes out that Alton was in anyway threatening the life of the police man then I'll repeal my stance.

I'm not a supporter of the BLM movement because of their violence but black people are still allowed to be upset on social media.

Resisting arrest in the possession of an illegally carried firearm is hardly safe for the officers is it, and there is no footage to prove that the claim was false

And not all police officers are white

Posted from TSR Mobile
Resisting arrest in the possession of an illegally carried firearm is hardly safe for the officers is it, and there is no footage to prove that the claim was false

Posted from TSR Mobile

From the video he was pinned down and incapacitated. He could have been tased if need be. The use of force should be proportionate to the risk.

Also he was in an open carry state.

And yes I'm aware of that.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36732908

I wonder how you guys will justify this one. :erm:
Reply 55
Original post by remiremi
And how many policeman have been injured or killed on duty in the last year?

Not as often as you think. According the the bureau of labour statistics, law enforcements don't even rank in the top 10 of most dangerous jobs in America.
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cfoi.htm
Even log workers and fisher men rank higher. The killings of the police officers has been at a record low in these past few years, and the majority of police that are killed, are killed in car accidents.
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the problem. The fact it is especially black people who need to be careful. Why should they be especially careful? We should all be seen a equals in the eyes of the law..
Reply 57
Original post by + polarity -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36732908

I wonder how you guys will justify this one. :erm:

Wow that's sad. Look how desensitised she is to the whole thing. This is something black people have to get used to being subject to in America.
Reply 58

Posted from TSR Mobile

The cops were not going to be aware that his gun was obtained legally at the time of arrest anyway. He's defence will most likely bring up Sterlings criminal past and his illegal weapon to smear him and paint the picture retrospectively that the cops may have genuinely feared for their lives. But practically speaking, they had none of that information when they tried to arrest him, and there is no justification to be trigger happy at the sight of a gun in an Open Carry State.
What the cops did was negligence and homocide at the very least. So they definitely need to be fired.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by misslovinggrace
This is the problem. The fact it is especially black people who need to be careful. Why should they be especially careful? We should all be seen a equals in the eyes of the law..

Everybody should be careful though, and being black means your stupidity gets plastered all over the media

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending