The Student Room Group

Unis that don't use the UKCAT test

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mliela
I don't think you realise how different university is to school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does university being different to school have an impact on how far I would be willing to travel?
Original post by daisie
How does university being different to school have an impact on how far I would be willing to travel?

Because university, especially medicine, is a lot more full on and labour intensive. Especially in the clinical years.

It's up to you if you want to stay at home. But think about it a bit more. Do some research in to the universities near you, find out if you meet their requirements. But for now don't limit yourself to just those ones, look in to all the medical schools. You may find you like the sound of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisie
Thank you for your help! So is the BMAT harder then?

The problem with the BMAT is that you take it after having applied to your uni, so it's risky..
Original post by cookiemonster15
The problem with the BMAT is that you take it after having applied to your uni, so it's risky..

Exactly. At least with UKCAT once you have your score you can choose the unis which suit your score best. Also you have to bear in mind that the lower the recruitment threshold the more applications they will get. For example, there are unis like Southampton I think which don't interview so everyone applies for them and so the success rate in getting into them in lower than for other unis.
Original post by UKCATrocks
Exactly. At least with UKCAT once you have your score you can choose the unis which suit your score best. Also you have to bear in mind that the lower the recruitment threshold the more applications they will get. For example, there are unis like Southampton I think which don't interview so everyone applies for them and so the success rate in getting into them in lower than for other unis.

Just FYI Southampton no longer accept anyone without interviewing them. Been that way for the past 3 years or so :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dont commute is the best advice i can give you. 3rd, 4th and 5th year of medicine, at least from my experience, involve a lot of travel no matter where you are based. Give yourself a break in 1st and 2nd year! UKCAT isnt the hardest thing in the world if you put in a few hours, BMAT relies more on your actual knowledge, but that being said neither one of them properly distinguishes who will be a better doctor. Only go to a BMAT uni if the course suits you. You would be better placed choosing a university that has a course which genuinely appeals to you (they are all different) that is in a place you can live happily for 2 years minimum (In 3rd year plus youre gunna be travelling all the time between hospitals and GPs and everything else anyway, and you dont get as much time to sample the local delights!)
Hello @daisie,

Well, a lot of people find the BMAT harder, but it tests some different things to the UKCAT.The thing is, many students apply to Medical Schools strategically. You sit the UKCAT between the 1st July and 5th October. The BMAT is taken on the 2nd November and lasts for two hours. Unlike the computerised UKCAT, the BMAT is a pen-and-paper test.

Therefore, to apply strategically, many applicants apply to 2 or 3 UKCAT universities and 2 or 1 BMAT universities respectively.This is so that if you didn't do as well in your UKCAT in July/October, you've got the BMAT in November as a backup.

Have a browse of the following pages to learn more about each test:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/ukcat/
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/bmat/

You can also visit the official UKCAT and BMAT websites.

We hope you find the above useful!

The Medic Portal
Reply 27
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hello @daisie,

Well, a lot of people find the BMAT harder, but it tests some different things to the UKCAT.The thing is, many students apply to Medical Schools strategically. You sit the UKCAT between the 1st July and 5th October. The BMAT is taken on the 2nd November and lasts for two hours. Unlike the computerised UKCAT, the BMAT is a pen-and-paper test.

Therefore, to apply strategically, many applicants apply to 2 or 3 UKCAT universities and 2 or 1 BMAT universities respectively.This is so that if you didn't do as well in your UKCAT in July/October, you've got the BMAT in November as a backup.

Have a browse of the following pages to learn more about each test:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/ukcat/
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/bmat/

You can also visit the official UKCAT and BMAT websites.

We hope you find the above useful!

The Medic Portal

Thank you!☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending