The Student Room Group

Does the UKCAT really test IQ/intelligence ?

Just out of curiosity, also how do some people manage to do so much better the next year..?
I don't think it's meant to - it's an aptitude test (I believe)
Original post by bulkybros100
Just out of curiosity, also how do some people manage to do so much better the next year..?

I've only done it once but I really don't think its a test of intelligence, it's more about how much you practise and seems like a test of timekeeping if I'm being honest.
Reply 3
I've heard it is
Reply 4
It is a test of intelligence clearly, because the more intelligent you are the better you are able to perform, but thats not to say that the format isnt designed in such a way that you can prepare and improve your score. If you had a test population of x number of people who knew nothing about it, and they each had the same amount of time to prepare, then it would give you a good representation of their respective intelligence. Unfortunately that's not the situation with admissions in reality, even though it can be argued that it is
Reply 5
Hahaha, what. The UKCAT tests diddly squiddle. It calls itself a clinical aptitude test, but no there is no known correlation between UKCAT score and medical school results, or effectiveness as a doctor. It is a completely random test used as an arbitrary tool to allow medical schools to differentiate between an abundance of overqualified candidates. A hoop-jumping exercise of the purest form
if it was an IQ test it would be able to give you an IQ score. it doesn't give you an IQ score so it isn't an IQ test.
There is no test that effectivately measures intellegience.
Reply 8
if it was 'diddly squiddle' you could pull any person off the street to score in the same range. People dont appreciate it because it doesnt reflect how intelligent they think they are themselves! its a reasonable estimate when applied to a population, and thats all theyre looking for
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bulkybros100

It can give a vague idea to tell whether someone is smart or not, but nothing more really. Just a way of filtering out to the last 500+ people to be interviewed out of thousands of applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending