The Student Room Group

What is tsr view on interracial adoption?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hoping4thebest
I think the race doesn't matter. What matters is that the child will grow up in a stable, loving family who aim to reflect God's love for us.

^This
You shouldn't be thinking about other people's opinions on the matter. What really counts here is how YOU and the person you are adopting with feel about adopting a child together. So what if you are of different races? As the godawful social media butterflies say...

Love wins
Original post by Mactotaur
What about barren couples?

I still oppose it btw, it's better to spend your money on yourself than someone else's progeny.
For me, I don't really seem to care. I'll admit its uncommon for a black lady to adopt a white child but as long as they're a "match" for each other I don't see the problem. I saw a youtube video of a black single mom who adopted a white toddler because she called her mommy and then a youtube video of a white woman with two adopted black kids. As long as the adopted parents are going to take care of their children, I don't care. What annoys me when a couple adopts some kid from third world country and brag how "great' they are for doing it. They don't care for the child, they just enjoy boasting their ego and feeling good.
If I adopt it would most likely be my race, mainly because they are the least to be picked.

But of course, adopting is a beautiful thing to do regardless of race.
I don't see why it would make any difference. Culture, however, may bring up some serious issues.
This is kind of like asking for our views on two blue-eyed parents adopting a brown-eyed child.

It's irrelevant.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I still oppose it btw, it's better to spend your money on yourself than someone else's progeny.

That's quite a backwards view isn't it?

I'd rather have a child grow up in a supportive environment than a care home where neglect of a child is probable. The child shouldn't have to suffer for their parents either breeding like rabbits, not using adequate protection or a serious miscalculation of one's adequacy to be a parent.
I don't see whats wrong with it as long as they are willing to and are able to take good care of the children.
Interracial adoption? Wheres the problem? lol
Original post by jamestg
That's quite a backwards view isn't it?

I'd rather have a child grow up in a supportive environment than a care home where neglect of a child is probable. The child shouldn't have to suffer for their parents either breeding like rabbits, not using adequate protection or a serious miscalculation of one's adequacy to be a parent.

It's a human view.

It's not about punishing anyone, it's about now wasting your personal resources on something which is not a part of you.
Original post by Blue_Mason
It is a bit of a sensitive topic, but I am not really sure on the topic

What part of it is sensitive? Adoption or being interracial?

I'm mixed-race, I have 4 kids of my own and 2 adopted ones.

Both the adopted children are White.
1st: He is 9 and came to live with us 8 months ago. His parents both died in a car crash and his father was my ex-wife's brother. Other than a major difference in attitude towards education, he gets on just fine. In fact he has improved a lot since coming by and has far better confidence.

2nd: She will be 5 later this month and we had her with us for 6 months now. No clue who the father is, the mother decided to abandon her for a new life in America with some rich bloke she met off the internet, she is my MiL's niece. We took her in, gave her shelter, food and care. She is doing very well thanks though there are plenty more work to be done to get her up to the same standard as per my own youngest that is just a few days younger than her as she is behind in almost every area.

Their race was never something I pondered upon. The only thing is sometimes I do get some funny looks and some nosy ones does ask if they are my partner's and they always look stunned when I ask them back in return what if they aren't.
Original post by Alfissti
What part of it is sensitive? Adoption or being interracial?

I'm mixed-race, I have 4 kids of my own and 2 adopted ones.

Both the adopted children are White.
1st: He is 9 and came to live with us 8 months ago. His parents both died in a car crash and his father was my ex-wife's brother. Other than a major difference in attitude towards education, he gets on just fine. In fact he has improved a lot since coming by and has far better confidence.

2nd: She will be 5 later this month and we had her with us for 6 months now. No clue who the father is, the mother decided to abandon her for a new life in America with some rich bloke she met off the internet, she is my MiL's niece. We took her in, gave her shelter, food and care. She is doing very well thanks though there are plenty more work to be done to get her up to the same standard as per my own youngest that is just a few days younger than her as she is behind in almost every area.

Their race was never something I pondered upon. The only thing is sometimes I do get some funny looks and some nosy ones does ask if they are my partner's and they always look stunned when I ask them back in return what if they aren't.

Thanks for the response, and I applaud you and anyone else who decide to adopt.
That was a beautiful story and it is sad that people can be so ignorant and judgmental, over silly things.
It's wrong.*
I'll probably adopt a white baby with my white partner. It's fine.
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's wrong.*

Adopt me daddy
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I'll probably adopt a white baby with my white partner. It's fine.

Adopt me daddy

imagine what the gents down my local golf club would say.*
Original post by Blue_Mason
It is a bit of a sensitive topic, but I am not really sure on the topic

no no no
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
no no no

Why?
Original post by Seamus123
Why?

many but, i don't trust that non black parents can equip a black child well enough for all aspects of this world, especially as they can't relate to their experiences. Furthermore there have been too many cases of black children adopted for perverse reasons by non black parents
Original post by iEthan
With respect. This shouldn't even be a question.

Amen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending