The Student Room Group

If you picked easy subjects for A-level, do you regret it?

"No A-level is easy," some might say. But Psychology, for example, is easier than Physics, Maths or Chemistry, say. Sociology seems the easiest of them all after what I experienced on Taster Day a few months ago. A-level Colouring and Fashion are the worst ones to be doing, though, for obvious reasons.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Jamie Vardy
"No A-level is easy," some might say. But Psychology, for example, is easier than Physics, Maths or Chemistry, say. Sociology seems the easiest of them all after what I experienced on Taster Day a few months ago. A-level Colouring and Fashion are the worst ones to be doing, though, for obvious reasons.

A-Levels are there to get you to the next place you want to be, ie. job or uni. I don't think saying one is easy over another is a good way to describe them.

Not at all, it differs for everyone. I'd find psychology much much harder than maths:s-smilie:

The only thing you'd regret is not picking the subjects that you enjoy/you need
Reply 4
Nope, I love psychology and chemistry a-level. I don't think that they're necessarily easy or hard, just depends on the person
Yeah and no I took a mix but then dropped the harder ones in favour of subjects like psyc and sociology. They weren't 'easy' you still have to work hard to get good grades but compared to other subjects like science the content was easier to understand. I regretted dropping them regularly feeling as I had wasted my potential as people were always telling me they were easy subjects and that if you fail your dumb. However they are not easy and at the end of the day if you don't need the harder a levels to get into uni don't fell pressured to take them.

I picked:
- English lit
- History
- Philosophy
- Geography (gave this up after AS)

Yes, those are all much easier than STEM subjects. But no, I don't regret taking them because for the course I want to study at uni, those A-levels are perfectly fine. Plus, I'm not an idiot - I know I'd have failed if I had taken harder subjects and besides, they don't interest me so much as the humanities.
Reply 7
Original post by Platopus
I picked:
- English lit
- History
- Philosophy

Yes, those are all much easier than STEM subjects. But no, I don't regret taking them because for the course I want to study at uni, those A-levels are perfectly fine. Plus, I'm not an idiot - I know I'd have failed if I had taken harder subjects and besides, they don't interest me so much as the humanities.

Likewise haha

I remember everyone being under the impression that getting an A in additional science meant you'd do really well in the sciences. So glad I didn't think this way, as most people ended up doing really bad.
Reply 8
I did psychology and I'm so glad I picked it cause you can really put in little effort and still get a decent grade. Thanks AQA for the low boundaries :biggrin:
Reply 9
You're better if picking wash subjects along with the one you plan to study at uni to boost your chances of getting the grades. Unis typically care more about the grades then the sunejcts you've done
No I don't regret it
I know some who are doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths
And are regretting it

It depends on the person tbf
And where their strengths are :smile:

No subject is 'easy' in my opinion
As long as the subjects get you into university for the course you want to do or decent employment
I don't see why it matters
(edited 7 years ago)
I took: Sociology, Psychology, Politics and Philosophy (dropped at AS)

Science/maths wasn't really my thing :colondollar: so I just took the subjects I enjoyed and I definitely don't regret it despite some being seen as "soft"
At the end of the day it's just the grades I need and if I'd have done "harder" subjects, firstly I wouldn't have enjoyed it and wouldn't have done well in them

(Also sociology may seem easy in terms of understanding but it's a pain at A2 because there's so much content to remember... but it's all relative I guess)
Reply 12
I did business studies and spent ages trying to drop it because the coursework was just a waste of time, in the end I was lucky but had to self teach a 3rd a-level
Original post by zayn008
I did business studies and spent ages trying to drop it because the coursework was just a waste of time, in the end I was lucky but had to self teach a 3rd a-level

whats wrong with business and the coursewrok?
No because I got an offer from Warwick & Nottingham + other solid unis. However I have 2 strong subjects (Economics and a modern foreign language) and 2 soft (ICT and Business Studies)
Wait is alevel colouring an actual subject?
Original post by Platopus
I picked:
- English lit
- History
- Philosophy

I'm picking my A-Levels in August and I was just wondering of your opinion on Philosophy? Is it debate based and working on thinking for yourself etc or do you just remember other people's work and dates?
Original post by TheNerdxP
I'm picking my A-Levels in August and I was just wondering of your opinion on Philosophy? Is it debate based and working on thinking for yourself etc or do you just remember other people's work and dates?

Not directed at me, but I did philosophy at AS (so I can't really comment on A2 but from what my friends have said it's kinda the same structure with different content)

The course I did (edexcel) was mainly just remembering what people said about the existence of God and utilitarianism and stuff; in essays you couldn't really put your own opinion across.
In class we had debates and discussions but in terms of exams it was mainly writing about what scholars said and who criticised them etc...
Reply 18
Original post by theBranicAc
whats wrong with business and the coursewrok?

I wasn't learning anything just demonstrating my existing knowledge and wasting time, my heart was always with economics but I only did business because economics clashed with politics

Quick Reply

Latest