The Student Room Group

If you ever think when has a a mass shooting been stopped by a armed civilian USA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oldercon1953
There's a constructive comment.

Good reply. You have no counter argument because it's essentially the same point you made: we should arm people against things that may well never happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even in the U.K. you can't stop a guy from getting a gun. You should have realized that by now.

And yet the UK has the eighth lowest death rate by firearm in the world. Meanwhile the USA has the 11th highest.
Original post by Underscore__
Good reply. You have no counter argument because it's essentially the same point you made: we should arm people against things that may well never happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, whatever, you win.
Original post by Manitude
And yet the UK has the eighth lowest death rate by firearm in the world. Meanwhile the USA has the 11th highest.

There's a interesting statistic. You have an almost total ban on guns and yet your #8 on the list. Considering the difference in population I would have thought the U.K. was near the bottom in gun deaths and our two countries to be much further apart on the list.

So when is the U.K. finally going to join other civilized nations and put an end to the senseless carnage on her streets and ban all........oh thats right.
Reply 64
The last major shooting in the UK was Dunblane imo. Due to tougher gun controls, mass shootings have been significantly reduced in the UK. Let the USA do what they want pretty sure they wouldn't listen to a bunch of UK students telling them their laws are stupid. Just prioritise problems at home the only thing that should concern is about the USA is it's foreign policy. If they fail to reform gun control along with other OECD countries they are entirely responsible and will continue to suffer.
I'm at a loss to remember an incident that you've described.

Probably because there's so many. Nearly every occasion infact. The majority of mass shootings are from legally owned guns.

It's gang on gang violence or small arguments that result in a single person being shot that are caused illegally acquired guns most of the time

Original post by joecphillips
I'm not American.
I haven't even been to America.

Spoiler

That's exactly what an American pretending to be English would say. Checkmate
There's a interesting statistic. You have an almost total ban on guns and yet your #8 on the list. Considering the difference in population I would have thought the U.K. was near the bottom in gun deaths and our two countries to be much further apart on the list.

So when is the U.K. finally going to join other civilized nations and put an end to the senseless carnage on her streets and ban all........oh thats right.

What exactly is your point? Would you prefer if the UK unbanned guns and the death rate by guns shot up to near Americas numbers?

Also I swear you're trolling. It's death RATE for a reason. Population size doesn't matter.

Lastly, learn to read. He said 8th lowest compared to 11th highest. Not 8th compared to 11th. Completely different. First comparison isn't close at all.
(edited 7 years ago)

You do understand the difference between eighth lowest and eleventh highest, don't you? It means that all the countries in the world except for seventeen are between the UK and the USA. That's a pretty big gap.

You might want to re-read what I said. The UK has the 8th LOWEST death rate and the USA has the 11th HIGHEST. They are extremely far away from each other.

Almost all of the countries that have worse gun deaths (I say deaths, this means homicides + suicides + accidental + unknown) than the USA are in Central and South America where drug cartels are ruthlessly violent.

The countries that are better than the UK are largely East Asian. I don't know what the gun laws are in those countries, though.
Original post by chemting
what is it with pro-gun advocates and anecdotal evidence...?

"Because it's my constitutional right!", just kidding, I agree it is pretty insane this continues after so many gun violence/attack incidences.
Original post by DauntlessOne
"Because it's my constitutional right!", just kidding, I agree it is pretty insane this continues after so many gun violence/attack incidences.

Like I said before, only a fool would give up their right to defend themselves and look to the Gov. to protect them.

We've had guns in this country for a long time. Carrying concealed was common even in large cities. there were walking canes that fired rounds, small derringers , and large caliber revolvers that were made smaller to fit in the pocket. Most all of these could be bought in hardware stores without even showing an I.D.
My point is this; Mass shootings by a single individual,( organised crime excluded), were rare. Most Americans feel they will be a thing of the past much like individuals who poisoned consumer products on store shelves. These incidents are now a real rarity. We would be stupid to give up our guns because of a threat that may soon be over.

But, to be honest, this is all an exercise in babbling B.S. I don't need to justify gun ownership to ANYONE. Like you mockingly said in your first sentence, It's my constitutional right."
Mass shootings by a single individual,( organised crime excluded), were rare. Most Americans feel they will be a thing of the past much like individuals who poisoned consumer products on store shelves.

Hehe. They may have been rare once. They now take place on a daily basis, with 175 so far this year.
Like I said before, only a fool would give up their right to defend themselves and look to the Gov. to protect them.

We've had guns in this country for a long time. Carrying concealed was common even in large cities. there were walking canes that fired rounds, small derringers , and large caliber revolvers that were made smaller to fit in the pocket. Most all of these could be bought in hardware stores without even showing an I.D.
My point is this; Mass shootings by a single individual,( organised crime excluded), were rare. Most Americans feel they will be a thing of the past much like individuals who poisoned consumer products on store shelves. These incidents are now a real rarity. We would be stupid to give up our guns because of a threat that may soon be over.

But, to be honest, this is all an exercise in babbling B.S. I don't need to justify gun ownership to ANYONE. Like you mockingly said in your first sentence, It's my constitutional right."

Look to be honest I don't really give a ****. If you guys want to arm senile old ladies with AR15's and 12 year old kids with uzi's, so they can blow their gun instructors heads off then so be it, not my problem. Your founding fathers should have put more fought into the constitution however.

And if you're concerned about defending yourself, why can't you Americans use hand-to-hand techniques? Figures.
Your founding fathers should have put more fought into the constitution however.

Hehe I think there is enough fought, but not enough thought.
Original post by Good bloke
Hehe I think there is enough fought, but not enough thought.

Oh, wow Captain grammar Nazi to the rescue! Don't shoot me boss! 😆
Original post by Good bloke
Hehe. They may have been rare once. They now take place on a daily basis, with 175 so far this year.

No they don't. Don't be silly
No they don't. Don't be silly

Here's the list:

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting?page=1
You could ask the people who have survived mass shootings that same question.
You will most likely get the same response as you would from anyone with a lick of common sense; of course you should..
More people die from falls in the bathtub.

This is patently untrue. The statistics for 2000 indicate that 341 people died from drowning due to being in, or falling into, a bathtub. http://danger.mongabay.com/injury_death.htm

In 2011 there were 95 child deaths in bath tubs and 102 fatalities caused by firearms. http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/aug/15/tucker-carlson/carlson-guns-dont-kill-people-bathtubs-do/

I suggest you use less rhetoric and more facts.

That means it's eighth from the bottom, not the top. Out of 140 or so countries I reckon that's pretty good. We do actually have illegally held firearms and a lot of legally held ones. Our control laws go a long way to preventing higher statistics. You, on the other hand, continue to insist that arming as many people as possible prevents firearms incidents and claim the right to bear arms. Fine, but the constitution that you quote is actually incorrect: it was, and always has been, the right to arm bears.
(edited 7 years ago)
Look to be honest I don't really give a ****. If you guys want to arm senile old ladies with AR15's and 12 year old kids with uzi's, so they can blow their gun instructors heads off then so be it, not my problem. Your founding fathers should have put more fought into the constitution however.

And if you're concerned about defending yourself, why can't you Americans use hand-to-hand techniques? Figures.

For the same reason I wouldn't take a knife to a gun fight.

You do bring up something worth commenting on.
When I was younger I has 4 yrs. of karate training which is great for staying fit and developing coordination. However a 38. revolver would serve the elderly, the weaker, and in the case of multiple assailants much better.
I also taught a ladies self-defense class and I would tell the students to not be under any illusions about their ability to defend themselves against a much bigger and stronger opponent.
I would suggest they buy a large caliber revolver,( revolvers are more reliable), and to keep it in their purse when out and about. If they found themselves in a threatening situation, to have their hand on the revolver inside their purse and if an assailant attacks you don't bother taking the gun from their purse but rather shoot right through the purse until the gun was empty.

I would suggest they buy a large caliber revolver,( revolvers are more reliable), and to keep it in their purse when out and about. If they found themselves in a threatening situation, to have their hand on the revolver inside their purse and if an assailant attacks you don't bother taking the gun from their purse but rather shoot right through the purse until the gun was empty.

So you encourage all these frail people to walk around all day with their hands on the trigger, safety off, just waiting for an accident to happen when they trip or stumble?

You should be agitating for the constitution to grant you rights to be intelligent rather than rights to carry guns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending