The Student Room Group

Racism in UK particularly London

Scroll to see replies

If you knock about Outer West London you cannot avoid Indian people..
Lived in London for a year, didn't encounter any kind of racism. Went to Brighton for a weekend, encountered it in the first 2 hours which was fun
Yes, really - is it seriously that hard to believe lol? Some people are actually racist

To give an overview of the kind of remarks:

- insulting the way black people eat (yes, really) and the type of food West African people eat

- 'joking' about how black people only know how to hunt and pick cotton, not study

- derogatory terms used to reference those who were once enslaved

- likening my dad to an animal

- being called a slapper and a camel amongst other things because of the structure of my body

It isn't nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfslayer1
Yes, really - is it seriously that hard to believe lol? Some people are actually racist

To give an overview of the kind of remarks:

- insulting the way black people eat (yes, really) and the type of food West African people eat

- 'joking' about how black people only know how to hunt and pick cotton, not study

- derogatory terms used to reference those who were once enslaved

- likening my dad to an animal

- being called a slapper and a camel amongst other things because of the structure of my body

It isn't nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Smh, disgusting that these kind of views and comments abound in this day and age. I'm sorry you had to experience that :/ :console:
London is a cosmopolitan city, so mostly no.

However if you are very unlucky or get in street fights you might get the odd racial slur.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey don't worry about it buddy, I guess some people are just mean. Luckily not everyone eh (:
Sigh, stealing benefits? Really?

Stealing?

Seriously?

Didn't mean to rep whoops. Definitely bloody not.
There's racism everywhere kid.
Go to Africa and be white, racism.
Go to East Asia and not be East Asian, racism.
The point is, majority dominates. If you don't fit in with the majority, whether it's white, black, Asian what have you, you're probably gonna have to get creative with surviving. Well it's not right just inevitable. You can't hide inside and not travel and experience and let it determine which school you go to lol Well you can do whatever you want. I cba dont even know why I'm signed in tbh lol
Original post by binarythoughts
Lived in London for a year, didn't encounter any kind of racism. Went to Brighton for a weekend, encountered it in the first 2 hours which was fun

What happened
It depends, I have only heard of 3 people my age (18) experience serve racism and I have only seen one person get verbally abused on transport. So it depends where you live but London is very multi cultural so yu should be safe.
In London, it is unlikely.

However, outside of London, it is more likely. Especially as you head North. They are pretty racist up there.
Original post by DorianGrayism
What happened

This old ass lady passed a fairly racist comment aimed at me
Sigh, stealing benefits? Really?

Stealing?

Seriously?

Hmm, let's think about that shall we. That jewel on the top of the queens' crown, you know the nice shiny one - that sure looks good. I wonder where that came from or shall I say *stolen* from...
Original post by timokane5
Hmm, let's think about that shall we. That jewel on the top of the queens' crown, you know the nice shiny one - that sure looks good. I wonder where that came from or shall I say *stolen* from...

Irrelevant. What do the crown jewels have to do with your claim that foreigners are stealing benefits as part of karma?
Reply 34
lies... India was the richest country in the world until the british came. British might have helped in development but it certainly wasnt their money. Instead Britain only stole indias money.
Reply 35
Original post by jake4198
Your logic, my friend, is terrifying.

If all generations have to pay for their ancestors' past then why don't we lynch all white Americans because of the African slave trade? Why don't we commit genocide on the Chinese because of the Taiwan Strait Crises? Why don't we put all Germans into a concentration camp because of the Nazis? The movement of people has nothing to do with karma, but instead the inequality in regional economic development. As much as that might be down to early colonisation, much of India's development can be attributed to Britain's rule in the region as it was British money that funded schools, public services and jobs.

India was the worlds richest country before Britains rule it didnt need britains money even though britain did help in tech development. Instead britain only stole indias money. so your claim is wrong
Reply 36
London is like the least racist place in the UK. Living in a northern town, there are a few instances of racism towards people of color I did hear some chav abuse a group of Pakistani women one got punched in the face and was told to go back home. It's funny how racists always seem to attack women because they are cowards and can't pick on people who will beat the crap out of them
(edited 7 years ago)
Thought the same.
Reply 38
For Indians it does :lol:

Theoretical situation:

Me: "I'm from Scotland"
Indians: "Where?"
Me: "Scotland, UK"
Indians: "I don't know"
Me: (sigh) "London"
Indians: "Ohhhhhhhhh! Now I know what you're talking about!"

:rofl: