The Student Room Group

Anyone else sick of the dehumanisation of refugees?

(Note: on this thread, I am talking about actual refugees, not economic migrants)
I see this everywhere- on TSR, on the news, by politicians and world leaders. The refugees fleeing the brutal Syrian civil war and other conflicts are being labelled as "terrorists" and rapists and, even worse, "rapefugees".

Why are we becoming so hostile as a people? Why do innocent people fleeing a brutal conflict hoping to find somewhere safe to live have to be met with such aggressive, xenophobic behaviour? Why can't we welcome some of these people? Obviously we shouldn't by completely open and accept everyone like the Germans are doing, but with some security checks surely the morally right thing to do would be to welcome some of these poor people and allow them to settle in our country?

As a Christian, I think it's our duty to hold out a hand and help some of these desperate people, especially the families and young children. Jesus was known to be extremely welcoming and caring towards anyone he met. We should follow his example as much as we can:

When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. (Leviticus 19:33-34)

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ (Matthew 25:25-36)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Remind me again how far away Sweden is from Syria

and the countries they pass through
You mean Denmark, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Greece, and Turkey?

All hotbeds of violence and intolerance (apart from one that is)

Oh wait no they are not
Original post by swervybang
(Note: on this thread, I am talking about actual refugees, not economic migrants)

I take it you wouldn't be against economic migrants being dehumanised then.

When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. (Leviticus 19:33-34)

I have never been a foreigner in Egypt, but why don't you go and preach to the foreigners about how they should behave in our country?
I see this everywhere- on TSR, on the news, by politicians and world leaders. The refugees fleeing the brutal Syrian civil war and other conflicts are being labelled as "terrorists" and rapists and, even worse, "rapefugees".

Why are we becoming so hostile as a people? Why do innocent people fleeing a brutal conflict hoping to find somewhere safe to live have to be met with such aggressive, xenophobic behaviour? Why can't we welcome some of these people? Obviously we shouldn't by completely open and accept everyone like the Germans are doing, but with some security checks surely the morally right thing to do would be to welcome some of these poor people and allow them to settle in our country?

As a Christian, I think it's our duty to hold out a hand and help some of these desperate people, especially the families and young children. Jesus was known to be extremely welcoming and caring towards anyone he met. We should follow his example as much as we can:

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ (Matthew 25:25-36)

I personally have no issue with the actual Syrian refugees, it's just the issue is that a majority of those coming are economic migrants. These people tend to be the ones committing the most crime from what I can tell, which is an obvious reason to be unhappy. The most prominent of the crimes committed (read : most publicised) are rapes and child molestations, and generally, seem to have an arrogant attitude (I have read accounts of them complaining about refugee camp WiFi while the actual Syrians are just happy to be alive, it was on one of Kraut and Tea's videos I can't recall which one).

Quite frankly, I don't have an issue with genuine refugees, again provided they aren't Islamist radicals and don't bring practices like FGM. I would expect best case for them to fully assimilate into our society.
Reply 5
Remind me again how far away Sweden is from Syria

It's quite far away. I don't understand what you're trying to imply.

You mean Denmark, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Greece, and Turkey?

Denmark, Germany, Austria, Greece and Turkey are already taking in so many refugees. The U.K. Isn't taking in as many. Hungary is an unsafe place for a lot of refugees because of Islamphobic attitudes being expressed by even their leader.
Reply 6
Original post by Good bloke
I take it you wouldn't be against economic migrants being dehumanised then.

I have never been a foreigner in Egypt, but why don't you go and preach to the foreigners about how they should behave in our country?

No I don't support economic migrants being dehumanised. But this thread is specifically about refugees and I was asserting that.

I will be happy to advise any refugees I meet on pour country's customs and our culture and our values,
It's quite far away. I don't understand what you're trying to imply.

Attention was being drawn to the number of opportunities the migrant had to claim asylum in safe countries before reaching the destination of choice.
Reply 8
Attention was being drawn to the number of opportunities the migrant had to claim asylum in safe countries before reaching the destination of choice.

A lot of them do. Germany, Greece, Turkey, Jordan, UAE are all taking in refugees.
Very. For example, people coming from Syria are human beings, families, many of the adults are educated people - Syria has always been a country noted for solid education - and they are decent people, they want to work (they plead for work in the areas where they are in camps) and they have good values. They are also in desperate straights through no fault of their own and whilst we can't take all of them, we can at least not engage in the game Cameron and Farage have been playing of dehumanising them.
Reply 10
There are many, many countries a lot closer than Sweden that have taken in very few refugees, and I'm not talking just about European countries. The world is bigger than Europe, you know

Jordan, the UAE, Qatar, Lebanon, Turkey, Greece, Kuwait, Egypt, Serbia, Saudi Arabia, Libya are all taking in more refugees than the UK.
Jordan, the UAE, Qatar, Lebanon, Turkey, Greece, Kuwait, Egypt, Serbia, Saudi Arabia, Libya are all taking in more refugees than the UK.

Good! And so they should. Most of those countries at least have the same superstitious beliefs, climate and attitudes as the Syrians, and are close to Syria.
I agree! Although not the Jesus bit. I think as humans we have a responsibility to help other humans. Just because they don't share nationality or ethnicity it doesn't make it any different. If we had a civil war in Britain and lived in a dictatorship we'd want countries to take us in. So whats the difference?I'm fed up of us treating others like they don't deserve to be safe
To be honest it's difficult for a Syrian refugee to leave their home and leaving to a country in the Middle East is not going to be much safer is it. Saudi won't even open their fukin boarders for the problem they've had a hand in so Syrians have basically no where to go so really, their only safe way is through Europe. People want to live their lives, not be stuck in the middle of war zones in the Middle East. Stop being selfish, no country is for one person. We all belong to this earth and it is unjust to say 'no refugees in our country' when really this land is made for all of us to share. It just so happens that Europe is more financially stable than most other continents in the world hence making it a more likely escape for people who actually have lives by the way, to come and settle down.
Good! And so they should. Most of those countries at least have the same superstitious beliefs, climate and attitudes as the Syrians, and are close to Syria.

And what gives us the right to discriminate on people based on their religion?
You mean the refugees that 70% of which are middle aged healthy young men? Only 13% of refugees are children. And are also responsible for like 80% of rapes yet are only 2% of the population?

Right, I wonder why they are dehumanised
Reply 16
Original post by CorpusLuteum
To be honest it's difficult for a Syrian refugee to leave their home and leaving to a country in the Middle East is not going to be much safer is it. Saudi won't even open their fukin boarders for the problem they've had a hand in so Syrians have basically no where to go so really, their only safe way is through Europe. People want to live their lives, not be stuck in the middle of war zones in the Middle East. Stop being selfish, no country is for one person. We all belong to this earth and it is unjust to say 'no refugees in our country' when really this land is made for all of us to share. It just so happens that Europe is more financially stable than most other continents in the world hence making it a more likely escape for people who actually have lives by the way, to come and settle down.

Personally I think Britain should still try to protect its culture and values but we should aim to educate refugees on our own- then it is their choice whether they integrate or not. People are free to live how they wish in this country as long as they don't disturb others' ways of life. Refugees should be made aware of this but should be welcomed with open arms.
Reply 17
Original post by Dieselblue
You mean the refugees that 70% of which are middle aged healthy young men? Only 13% of refugees are children. And are also responsible for like 80% of rapes yet are only 2% of the population?

Right, I wonder why they are dehumanised

No group of humans should EVER be dehumanised. Not even the Nazis.Every human should be treated with respect.
[video="youtube;RvOnXh3NN9w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvOnXh3NN9w[/video]
No group of humans should EVER be dehumanised. Not even the Nazis.Every human should be treated with respect.

Lets agree to disagree

Quick Reply

Latest