The Student Room Group

How open do these AS choices leave me to University Courses?

Hey! I am going into sixth form this september and currently have my choices down as: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History. I was just wondering, how many courses would I be able to take with these a-levels? At the moment I am thinking of either History or Computer Science, but I also want to be able to keep my options quite open, in the case I change my mind. If anyone can help me out, it would be really appreciated!
They are pretty good and can get you into quite a lot of course. The only way to make them better would perhaps be swapping FM for chemistry but its not really necessary
Original post by Harry.JW
Hey! I am going into sixth form this september and currently have my choices down as: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History. I was just wondering, how many courses would I be able to take with these a-levels? At the moment I am thinking of either History or Computer Science, but I also want to be able to keep my options quite open, in the case I change my mind. If anyone can help me out, it would be really appreciated!

To be honest, I think that you could also go into engineering or finance (you don't necessarily need econ to do that)

Tbh, you've also got 4 facilitating subjects so it would be keeping your options open. Obviously excluding a doctor or dentist as a degree but yeah, you have got a good choice.

However, one thing I will say is that some unis count maths and further maths as one A level so just be careful. If you're unsure, check on all the unis you may want to go to and the course you want to study and see their entry requirements :P
Original post by Harry.JW

Hi, I actually chose subjects very similar to you in that I did French instead of History. I reckon with your choices you actually have quite a good range of options. As long as you have maths and physics you can do most science courses other than chemical subjects such as medicine.

If you want to do comp sci, I would suggest keeping maths, further maths and physics and have any suitable fourth subject.

I really do think you have a lot of options in terms of courses unless you want to do a course which is specific like languages and the like. If you later find out you want to change one of your subjects, schools usually allow you a week or two if you find you don't enjoy it or whatever. Good luck in confirming those choices!

Quick Reply

Latest