The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SB0073
How mayn UMS would 65-67 marks out of 75 be? any thoughts?

Mid / high A - anywhere between 84-90
70/75 marks, UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iMacJack
70/75 marks, UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably like 90-92.
Original post by AlexFrangos
Well, since i found the wrong critical region, the last part of that question went also wrong. So will i lose all the marks in that question, even for the actual significance and the comment on whether you should accept Ho? Also in the question we had to prove that a=2b and we were given that the mode = 1, i read that the mean was 1 but i did get the correct answer as the mean was equal to the mode. Do you think i will also loose marks in that question?

If your conclusion is not the same with the actual answer, I think you will lose 1 mark. There is just 2 mark for 2 question in that part. I think you will be able to get one correct.

Hmm i think you will lose some marks because the formula you used it not correct. But I have no idea how they are going to mark the paper. Usually they gave 25% to 50% marks to incorrect method.
If i get above 90 average in fp2, m2 and s2 and c3 and c4, can i get A* in both maths and further maths even if my d1 and d2 is somewhere between 60-70? My AS modules are all well above 90 except S1 which was 83.
Original post by Ramil Ahmadov
If i get above 90 average in fp2, m2 and s2 and c3 and c4, can i get A* in both maths and further maths even if my d1 and d2 is somewhere between 60-70? My AS modules are all well above 90 except S1 which was 83.

It depends upon how high above 90 they are; but, yes, you definitely could!
Original post by mupsman2312
It depends upon how high above 90 they are; but, yes, you definitely could!

C1-100
C2-96
M1-100
S1-83
Fp1-92
C3-93
[QUOTE=Ramil Ahmadov;66301842]If i get above 90 average in fp2, m2 and s2 and c3 and c4, can i get A* in both maths and further maths even if my d1 and d2 is somewhere between 60-70? My AS modules are all well above 90 except S1 which was 83.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure your best grades go towards maths and then the remainder go to further maths, so if S1 and S2 were your best applied then they go to maths... That means you will get an A* in Maths but probably an A in further maths unless D2 and your other 2 best A2 level modules average out to 270/300. I'm not entirely sure if that's how it works so don't take my word for it.
Original post by gameofthrones1
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure your best grades go towards maths and then the remainder go to further maths, so if S1 and S2 were your best applied then they go to maths... That means you will get an A* in Maths but probably an A in further maths unless D2 and your other 2 best A2 level modules average out to 270/300. I'm not entirely sure if that's how it works so don't take my word for it.

According to priority:

Maths grade

Further maths grade

Maths UMS

Further maths UMS

Original post by Ayman!
According to priority:

Maths grade

Further maths grade

Maths UMS

Further maths UMS

What they are going to do if the first priority(maths grade) is the same for any combination? Do they skip it with the lowest UMS(because it is an A* anyway) to allow further maths to be as high as possible?
I thought they will prioritize to make both Maths and Further maths as high as possible, which is A* (if they take C1,C2,C3,C4,D1 and D1 for Maths and M1,S1,FP1,M2,S2 and FP2 for further maths, in which case both subjects will be an A*). Is that correct or this combination is not possible? Or they make Maths a very high A* and therefore i will get an A for further maths and miss my offer from Imperial?
Thanks for your answer!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gameofthrones1

I am pretty sure my maths grade will be an A*, even if they take D1 and D1 for maths, as i need an average of above 90 only in C3 and C4 for an A*. My best applied is definitely going to be Mechanics, and if it goes to maths, i have no chance of getting an A* in fmaths.
I thought they will prioritize to make both Maths and Further maths as high as possible, which is A* (if they take C1,C2,C3,C4,D1 and D1 for Maths and M1,S1,FP1,M2,S2 and FP2 for further maths, in which case both subjects will be an A*). Is that correct or this combination is not possible? Or they make Maths a very high A* and therefore i will get an A for further maths and miss my offer from Imperial?

I would assume they would make sure you got the highest grades in both otherwise it wouldn't make much sense. However the module combinations should be fine for both maths and further maths assuming you meant D1 and D2 for regular maths. :tongue:

Look at the priorities I've listed again. I'll give you an example:

C1 - 100 C2 - 100 C3 - 100 C4 - 100 S1 - 100 S2 - 100 A* (600 UMS)

FP1 - 100 FP2 - 100 FP3 - 100 M1 - 65 M2 - 60 M3 - 54 B (479 UMS)

If your college has cashed in all awards, then S2 will now be moved to Further Maths and switched for M1, so while your maths UMS is lower, you still get A*A*.

Your combination is feasible (provided that you meant D2 instead of D1 twice!)

You really don't need to worry about this if all maths awards have been cashed in.
Original post by Ayman!

If your college has cashed in all awards, then S2 will now be moved to Further Maths and switched for M1, so while your maths UMS is lower, you still get A*A*.

You really don't need to worry about this if all maths awards have been cashed in.

Can you explain what do you mean by "cashing in all awards" please? I didn't quite get that :redface:
Original post by Ayman!

Can you have S1 in maths and S2 in further maths?
Can you explain what do you mean by "cashing in all awards" please? I didn't quite get that :redface:

You probably don't have to worry about it! Your exams officer most probably did it for your further maths class.

Original post by target21859
Can you have S1 in maths and S2 in further maths?

I'm 100% sure you can.

Mine is C12/C34/M1/S1 for Maths and will probably end up being F1/F2/F3/M2/S2/S3 for Further Maths.
Original post by Ayman!
You probably don't have to worry about it! Your exams officer most probably did it for your further maths class.

I'm 100% sure you can.

Mine is C12/C34/M1/S1 for Maths and will probably end up being F1/F2/F3/M2/S2/S3 for Further Maths.

So does that mean they will try to make both subjects an A* as a priority rather than high A* in maths and an A in fmats?
So does that mean they will try to make both subjects an A* as a priority rather than high A* in maths and an A in fmats?

I think it'll be an algorithm with a series of 'IF' functions and the computer runs all the possible cases and if you can get 2A*s, it should give it to you.

But you shouldn't worry. If results day comes and the computer has given you an A in FM when you could have an A*, you can easily have the order of cash ins changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
I think it'll be an algorithm with a series of 'IF' functions and the computer runs all the possible cases and if you can get 2A*s, it should give it to you.

But you shouldn't worry. If results day comes and the computer has given you an A in FM when you could have an A*, you can easily have the order of cash ins changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So i can ask them to make them both A* rather than high A in one of them?
So i can ask them to make them both A* rather than high A in one of them?

Yeah if it's possible based on your UMS!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending