The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering Advice

I've got conditional offers to study mechanical engineering at Loughborough and Swansea university. However, I'm not sure I will meet these offers with my A Level results. I do Maths, Physics and Product Design.
I think I now need a back up choice and or new plan if I don't meet the entry requirements of AAB and ABB.
Is there anyone who can recommend similar courses or uni's that would still be worth doing the course at? Or any new plans at all? I'm just worried I won't make it into either my firm or insurance uni after my exams.
All help is appreciated,
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Hamezz
I've got conditional offers to study mechanical engineering at Loughborough and Swansea university. However, I'm not sure I will meet these offers with my A Level results. I do Maths, Physics and Product Design.
I think I now need a back up choice and or new plan if I don't meet the entry requirements of AAB and ABB.
Is there anyone who can recommend similar courses or uni's that would still be worth doing the course at? Or any new plans at all? I'm just worried I won't make it into either my firm or insurance uni after my exams.
All help is appreciated,
Thanks

What grades do you *think* you'll get?
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
What grades do you *think* you'll get?

I don't think I'll get an A this year. So BBB at best and BCC at worst hopefully :/
Reply 3
Original post by Hamezz
I don't think I'll get an A this year. So BBB at best and BCC at worst hopefully :/

So BBB *might* be ok for an ABB offer.

But if not here's some courses at BBC or below, for example, and assuming they are in Clearing of course...

http://university.which.co.uk/search/course?utf8=%E2%9C%93&c%5Bq%5D=Mechanical+engineering+&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_0%5D=3&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_1%5D=3&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_2%5D=4&c%5Blower_points_bound%5D=260&c%5Bupper_points_bound%5D=300&c%5Bsort_fact%5D=entry_points_max__desc

And here's the list in Clearing 2016 (nb. this may not be accurate - double check direct with any universities you are interested in)
http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?Vac=1&AvailableIn=Clearing&Query=mechanical%20engineering&IsFeatherProcessed=True&Page=1&flt9=1&flt8=2

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hamezz
All help is appreciated,
Thanks

And that's what Clearing is for.The thing is not to go in cold.Do some research on who's in or likely to be in clearing, I believe universities are starting to advertise places.Who would you fancy if it's BBB or BBC or....Maybe get in touch or go on a visit, they all do self guided tours.Get the numbers on speed dial and have your paperwork to hand.That way, in the first hour or so after results, while most are still running round like headless chickens, you can hit the phones and get your business done and dusted.Which being said, keep the faith, it's probably all only pre results nerves!
Reply 5
Loughborough is a great university (biased!) as I understand in Swansea.

When I looked into it I think the entry requirement was set my the IMechE for acredited engineering courses, so I am not sure where that leaves you, or how it effects clearing.

Certainly looking into it early will do no harm, and I would would for instance ring Loughborough's admissions team and ask the question directly. They are nice people and will appreciate your honesty and contacting them.

Obviously also try and get the A, as you might well surprise yourself as I know a lot do!

Certainly, 6 years on, I am really enjoying having done Mechanical engineering, so go for it. Any questions shoot me a message if you want.

Daniel
Reply 6
Thanks for the help! :biggrin:

Reply 7
Thanks Daniel, I'll be sure to take up your offer of messaging you if I need to. Thanks for the advice and support, good to see! :-)

Original post by dhutch
Loughborough is a great university (biased!) as I understand in Swansea.

When I looked into it I think the entry requirement was set my the IMechE for acredited engineering courses, so I am not sure where that leaves you, or how it effects clearing.

Certainly looking into it early will do no harm, and I would would for instance ring Loughborough's admissions team and ask the question directly. They are nice people and will appreciate your honesty and contacting them.

Obviously also try and get the A, as you might well surprise yourself as I know a lot do!

Certainly, 6 years on, I am really enjoying having done Mechanical engineering, so go for it. Any questions shoot me a message if you want.

Daniel
Original post by Hamezz
All help is appreciated,
Thanks

Look at Oxford Brookes - highly rated course - with the option of a year in industry. Top Formula Student team and great links to industry.
Original post by Hamezz

Honestly, if you get BBB, I'd ring up Lougborough and try to convince them to let you in, even though it's two grades below they have a huge intake for Mech. Eng and it's one of the most respected and prestigious courses there, and they don't have to limit their spaces so they can let you in.

If you really want to study Mech. Eng go to Swansea (if you dont get in to Lougborough), however if you pride a more prestigious Engineering university I'd ring Loughborough and try to get on a different course. I've got a few friends that missed their A*AA/AAA offers for Chem. Eng/Mech. Eng and who got into Aeronautical/Automotive/Civil Engineering.

I know now you may think you don't want to do one of those degrees, but I'd still recommend having a look at the modules online and see if they interest you, as many Engineering graduate programmes will look up to Loughborough more highly regardless of the Engineering degree, due to past placement profiles and course structure/projects.

But hopefully none of this will matter and you'll get AAB on results day!
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest