The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

uhh pretty sure it does!!
Original post by cherryred90s
I don't know, I'm not the one who had a problem with that word

You should have a problem with that word because it negates your whole argument. And you can't replace it with another word because you don't have one. And your point didn't stand in the first place.
Original post by Grand High Witch
Yes, because it was the whole basis of your argument that homosexuality cannot be compared to race in that sense. Both are innate characteristics.

Like I've said about 4 times, gay people engage in a behaviour (sexual behaviour) that differs to the majority. Nobody is saying that they dislike gay people or subject them to hate, they just don't agree with the things that they do. Just like a Christian wouldn't agree with some of the things that a Muslim may do. It doesn't mean that they're islamophobic.

There isn't anything that one race does that another does not.

I'm really not repeating that again.
Original post by tanyapotter
You should have a problem with that word because it negates your whole argument. And you can't replace it with another word because you don't have one. And your point didn't stand in the first place.

It's not my fault you don't understand what I'm saying.

Gay people do engage in sexual behaviour that differs to the majority. I'm guessing that you're a member of the LGBT community which would explain why you are so easily offended by the word 'behaviour'
Is "disagreeing" really the word to use here? It doesn't seem right.

For you to disagree with something, someone would have to put forth an opinion for you to disagree with. "Homosexuality" isn't an opinion, it's a tangible concept. So in other words, you're against homosexuality. Which while not going the full hog, isn't exactly not homophobic.
It's not my fault you don't understand what I'm saying.

Gay people do engage in sexual behaviour that differs to the majority. I'm guessing that you're a member of the LGBT community which would explain why you are so easily offended by the word 'behaviour'

Homosexuality is not a behaviour - it's an innate characteristic, present at birth.
Race is not a behaviour - it's an innate characteristic, present at birth.
Thus the two can be compared. As mentioned previously anyway, not every gay person has gay sex, just like (wow, newsflash!) not every straight person has sex. So this "behaviour" that you're referring to is not something every single gay person engages in. You asked: what one act do black people engage in that white people do not? The answer is that there is none. Now I'm telling you, there is no one act that every gay person engages in. Because NOT EVERY GAY PERSON HAS GAY SEX. So your argument is non-existent.

And no, I'm not gay, but you don't have to be to have and use a brain :smile: The way you're addressing the LGBT community is frankly hostile and off-putting, though.

Anyway, aren't you the person who gets really easily offended by people saying psychology isn't a useful degree? Who are you to tell me that I'm getting easily offended???? L O L
Original post by *Stefan*
It's not against the law up to a certain level, but to voice your opinion and display your dislike for one's sexuality is a low lower than the ground.

You're also missing the fact, as everyone with your view does, that opinions can be criticised. Just like one can voice their opinion against something, in the same way someone else can blast them. Them basic rights be too much eh :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im just acknowledging that the OP was directly asked for his opinion on a topic by a specific person and responded honestly. OP has a voice just as everyone else. So he should only express his voice if the majority or minority has the same voice? It wasn't like he was screaming on the bus using gay slurs. It may have been an opinion that didn't support gay marriage but definitely wasn't bitter or disrespectful. Also it was a conversation between the OP and his friend, the person who called him a homophobe was getting involved in a conversation that wasn't her business. Do you go on public transportation and butt in conversations that have little to do with you?

Sure, people are allowed to be bashed but just cuz you heard an opinion between two people that is happening privately on the bus does not mean you should start yelling "YOURE A BIGOT!!!" and causing a scene. It was a conservation between the OP and his friend, not an open debate. There is a time and a place for everything.
No it does not make us homophobic but that's what homosexuals will say in order to demonise us.
Original post by slade p
No it does not make us homophobic but that's what homosexuals will say in order to demonise us.

yes i agree with you!
Original post by slade p

by definition - and take note of that, as the basis of a language is its definitions - it does make you homophobic.

you are 'disagreeing' with the way someone was born i.e. believing them to 'wrong'. this can be defined as prejudice -

noun

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

- as this is an opinion based on a lack of experience (you have no idea what it's like to live as a gay person) and, in fact, not based on reason - i'd like to see you give me a single fact that shows gays to be 'wrong'. the definition of homophobia -

noun

dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

- makes it apparent that yes, you are homophobic.

that is based on fact. you are by definition, homophobic. HOWEVER, i don't believe this immediately makes you a bad person. you are not a threat to the LGBT+ community by any means. but you are BY DEFINITION homophobic.

i hope i cleared this up

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theBranicAc
yes i agree with you!

look at my last post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ollie231213
Homosexuality and paedophilia are NOT comparable. One is a sexual orientation, the other is a psychiatric disorder.

There's probably many people who consider being gay to be a psychiatric disorder, or wanting to be a different gender. But it begs the question, do we have a choice over anything? We don't have a choice what foods we like, what games/sports/hobbies we like. We don't really have a choice what our personality is like. Can we choose anything? By your logic by agreeing with another user on here, we cannot have a bad view against anyone because no one had a choice. We are slaves to our brains I think. You may think you do what you want, but you don't. It's your brain telling you what you want. Weird really when you actually think about it.
Original post by snikerio
by definition - and take note of that, as the basis of a language is its definitions - it does make you homophobic.

you are 'disagreeing' with the way someone was born i.e. believing them to 'wrong'. this can be defined as prejudice -

noun

- as this is an opinion based on a lack of experience (you have no idea what it's like to live as a gay person) and, in fact, not based on reason - i'd like to see you give me a single fact that shows gays to be 'wrong'. the definition of homophobia -

noun

that is based on fact. you are by definition, homophobic. HOWEVER, i don't believe this immediately makes you a bad person. you are not a threat to the LGBT+ community by any means. but you are BY DEFINITION homophobic.

i hope i cleared this up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone is born a paedophile. Are you allowed to have negative views to them?
I would consider you to have homophobic views. I don't really understand your view, if its not affected you then why does it matter? Being gay comes naturally to some people, you can't help who you are attracted to. I really don't understand how people can see it as 'wrong'. Love is love.
(edited 7 years ago)
Like I've said about 4 times, gay people engage in a behaviour (sexual behaviour) that differs to the majority. Nobody is saying that they dislike gay people or subject them to hate, they just don't agree with the things that they do. Just like a Christian wouldn't agree with some of the things that a Muslim may do. It doesn't mean that they're islamophobic.

There isn't anything that one race does that another does not.

I'm really not repeating that again.

Then the correct term is "homosexual acts", not "homosexuality" as is this thread's title. And no, I don't think the difference is semantic.

Also, why would anyone "disagree" with two consenting adults showing their affection for each other through sex in the privacy of their bedroom, the act of which isn't harming anyone? Such a disagreement is irrational.
Original post by snikerio

noun

noun

i hope i cleared this up

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're an idiot.
Original post by King_ajk
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic? today i was talking to this gay male on the train and we were talking about how he came out to his family and how they reacted. he asked me my view and i said i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. but i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality because that is being a *****y person, i would not treat someone differently because they are gay i see everyone equal. he said fair enough and then i asked if he thought i was homophobic or bigoted he said no as everyone is entitled to their opinions and im not mistreating homosexuals. but this lady overheard and started shouting about how i was homophobic everyone on the carriage heard and looked, made me feel like **** for having an opinion. on my way home i am homophobic ,i see homophobic people as bully and i dont think i am one . i wanna know if others feel the same way as the lady. btw im an atheist,not religious before anyone says im a sheep for following old books

No idea why that would be classed as homophobia..You're not scared of Gays ffs..lol
Original post by Ano9901whichone
Someone is born a paedophile. Are you allowed to have negative views to them?

i never said anything relating to that statement, only that by definition, it is homophobia, but ill respond anyway.

regardless of whether paedophiles can help their attraction or not, a child can not consent to any sexual behaviour, and this makes any action a paedophile makes sexually towards a child wrong, as it is statutory rape, and against the child's will.

the paedophile, being an adult who is aware of this, and in control of their own actions, is at fault. i think it's ridiculous when anyone tries to defend paedophilia by comparing it to homosexuality, or justify homophobia by doing the same as the adult is ALWAYS at fault for raping a child. no one is 'at fault' for having consensual sex between two adults, as neither didn't want to have sex.

my point is, even though they can both be grouped as sexual attractions, one puts people at risk by merely existing, and the other harms no one. so of course, it is natural to be against paedophilia, as am i.

the two are completely unrelated because of this difference in nature, and i don't think paedophilia should ever have been brought up as people should be intelligent enough to understand the idea of consent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by slade p
You're an idiot.

im an idiot because i used facts? do you need to go back to the womb?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King_ajk
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic? today i was talking to this gay male on the train and we were talking about how he came out to his family and how they reacted. he asked me my view and i said i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. but i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality because that is being a *****y person, i would not treat someone differently because they are gay i see everyone equal. he said fair enough and then i asked if he thought i was homophobic or bigoted he said no as everyone is entitled to their opinions and im not mistreating homosexuals. but this lady overheard and started shouting about how i was homophobic everyone on the carriage heard and looked, made me feel like **** for having an opinion. on my way home i am homophobic ,i see homophobic people as bully and i dont think i am one . i wanna know if others feel the same way as the lady. btw im an atheist,not religious before anyone says im a sheep for following old books

You're completely within your rights to have that opinion, don't feel bad for it. It's only a cause for concern if you act upon it, going out of your way to belittle gay people and condemn them, which you explicitly stated you are not.

Bigot -
a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

You are obviously not intolerant towards gay people, this has been made clear by your story. The only intolerant attitudes on this thread have been directed at you. Unfortunately I find it is often those preaching anti-bigotry agendas to be just at bigoted as the next guy.

Latest

Trending

Trending