The Student Room Group

A2 core maths and A level further maths in one year???

Hello TSR

I am thinking of doing the whole fm A level next year as a lot of uni courses really want it. I would be doing this along with normal maths and physics.

Do you guys feel as if this would be too hard or do you think it will be achievable. (PS- I am very prepared to revise from September :smile: )
Reply 1
I just did the same thing :smile: AS and A2 Further Maths, A2 Physics, A2 Chemistry and A2 Mathematics. It wasn't too hard, given that once you do A2 Further maths, A2 Maths becomes piss-easy, and so does AS Further Maths.
Reply 2
Original post by oShahpo
I just did the same thing :smile: AS and A2 Further Maths, A2 Physics, A2 Chemistry and A2 Mathematics. It wasn't too hard, given that once you do A2 Further maths, A2 Maths becomes piss-easy, and so does AS Further Maths.

Thats really good, what grades did you achieve if you don't mind me asking.
Reply 3
Original post by alex19678
Thats really good, what grades did you achieve if you don't mind me asking.

Still waiting for results, but expected 3A* (Maths, FM, Physics) and an A in Chem. But I reckon I will get 2A* in maths and fm and two As in chem and phys.
Also, the great thing about Further Maths is that if you Master M3, M2 and M1 become really, really, really easy. Also, if you master FP3, FP2 and C4 and FP1 become really easy too, so it all builds up and in the end you find out that it's all connected.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by oShahpo
Still waiting for results, but expected 3A* (Maths, FM, Physics) and an A in Chem. But I reckon I will get 2A* in maths and fm and two As in chem and phys.
Also, the great thing about Further Maths is that if you Master M3, M2 and M1 become really, really, really easy. Also, if you master FP3, FP2 and C4 and FP1 become really easy too, so it all builds up and in the end you find out that it's all connected.

Wish you all the best with your results, also were you self taught?
Hello TSR

I am thinking of doing the whole fm A level next year as a lot of uni courses really want it. I would be doing this along with normal maths and physics.

Do you guys feel as if this would be too hard or do you think it will be achievable. (PS- I am very prepared to revise from September :smile: )

I attempted AS and A2 of Physics (edexcel), Maths (OCR) and Further Maths (OCR) this year (in 3 months tbh), and I was self taught. Everything went fine except for M2, M3 and M4. It is definitely achievable if you are dedicated. Good Luck !!!
Reply 6
Wish you all the best with your results, also were you self taught?

I went to college but they didn't do FM, so I took up AS biology. I gained my Maths teacher's trust, and he allowed me to drop Biology and pick up FM AS and A2 instead. But yea I self-taught myself all the FM. Trust me it isn't hard if you can manage your time and don't have a blazing social life. My advice though, if you're good at Maths (not necessarily super good, but can grasp concepts easily), take M3 and M4, they build up quite nicely on M2 and M1 and in the end you feel like it's all connected. I don't know however about the changes to the modules, so it might be different.
Reply 7
Hello TSR

Yeah it's possible and I might be doing it too.

I'd say if you struggled last year with the overall workload, ensure you're only attending lessons for 2 A2 subjects. But if you didn't, then stick to the usual timetable!

Also, you should start now. If you can get one or two modules out of the way before September, it'll probably become a whole lot easier. I'm doing S1 over the summer, and then I can start S2 and S3 from September. As well as FP1 in school.
Reply 8
A bit of advice to you guys, don't go at the same pace as school, always go faster then they are at school.
Very doable and enjoyable
Reply 10
Original post by jamestg
Yeah it's possible and I might be doing it too.

I'd say if you struggled last year with the overall workload, ensure you're only attending lessons for 2 A2 subjects. But if you didn't, then stick to the usual timetable!

Also, you should start now. If you can get one or two modules out of the way before September, it'll probably become a whole lot easier. I'm doing S1 over the summer, and then I can start S2 and S3 from September. As well as FP1 in school.

Thats a very good idea :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest