The Student Room Group

Planning on moving out, but how?!

So me and my boyfriend are really planning on moving out and buying our own house.

We've worked in that if we somehow manage to save at least £400 a week between us both, we can get a fully paid house by the time he's 25 (only in 5 years time)

But we are really desperate to move out ASAP, we're both currently looking for jobs as we have both just finished college.

Is there any idea's besides jobs that can bring some sort of money into the house?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abbie1998xo
So me and my boyfriend are really planning on moving out and buying our own house.

We've worked in that if we somehow manage to save at least £400 a week between us both, we can get a fully paid house by the time he's 25 (only in 5 years time)

But we are really desperate to move out ASAP, we're both currently looking for jobs as we have both just finished college.

Is there any idea's besides jobs that can bring some sort of money into the house?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in 5 years :erm: so you are planning to move after 5 years :redface:
desperate! :rolleyes:
Can't you just get a deposit together and get a mortgage? You don't need to buy the house upfront you know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, by not waiting to have enough money to pay for a house outright and instead saving for a deposit of the house price you can leave faster and pay the rest via mortgage.As for making that kind of money, then sorry a job is the only way unless one or both of you by some amazing chance happen to have some brilliant entrepreneurial skills or skills you can sell casually on the side.

Sorry to sound blunt, but if it were that easy everyone would be doing it. You are best off just getting jobs being very frugal and saving as much as you can, putting a deposit down on a house and getting a mortgage if speed is a priority to you.
Pack bags, Leave through the Door?
Original post by HelpusPleasus
Pack bags, Leave through the Door?

If you actually read what I put instead of the title alone, you'd understand why I said how? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieSmall
Yes, by not waiting to have enough money to pay for a house outright and instead saving for a deposit of the house price you can leave faster and pay the rest via mortgage.As for making that kind of money, then sorry a job is the only way unless one or both of you by some amazing chance happen to have some brilliant entrepreneurial skills or skills you can sell casually on the side.

Sorry to sound blunt, but if it were that easy everyone would be doing it. You are best off just getting jobs being very frugal and saving as much as you can, putting a deposit down on a house and getting a mortgage if speed is a priority to you.

No it's fine :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fatima1998
in 5 years :erm: so you are planning to move after 5 years :redface:
desperate! :rolleyes:

How am I desperate?
All I said was that if we wanted the house we would like, it would take us 5 years.
Just because we both would like our own house doesn't make us desperate

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you actually read what I put instead of the title alone, you'd understand why I said how? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh then, place clothes in bag, then put one foot in front of the other whilst your hand pulls the door open.

(It was a joke)
Original post by neal95
Can't you just get a deposit together and get a mortgage? You don't need to buy the house upfront you know

I've never brought a house before so I didn't haha :smile:
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HelpusPleasus
Oh then, place clothes in bag, then put one foot in front of the other whilst your hand pulls the door open.

(It was a joke)

Fair enough:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

How am I desperate?All I said was that if we wanted the house we would like, it would take us 5 years.Just because we both would like our own house doesn't make us desperatePosted from TSR Mobile

says right there :rolleyes:
says right there :rolleyes:

So by wanting a house makes you desperate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you looking for a house? Why not rent out an affordable apartment... You've only just left college, unless you're having a baby or something why the rush for a house? You're not going to make the sort of money anyway to put a deposit down on a house and get a mortgage at your age. Just take things slowly.
So by wanting a house makes you desperate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

but you clearly said that you are desperate!
if your situation is tight then wait for a bit and get a proper job :erm:
get an apartment, only 2 of you are going to live there
but you clearly said that you are desperate!
if your situation is tight then wait for a bit and get a proper job :erm:
get an apartment, only 2 of you are going to live there

Sorry I just read back from what I put, my mistake.i thought you meant like wanting a house makes you desperate 😂

I've applied for a tonne of jobs, just waiting for them to get back to me 😊

There's going to be 3 people living here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Novascope
Why are you looking for a house? Why not rent out an affordable apartment... You've only just left college, unless you're having a baby or something why the rush for a house? You're not going to make the sort of money anyway to put a deposit down on a house and get a mortgage at your age. Just take things slowly.

We want any sort of accommodation really, just a house would be preferable that's all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never brought a house before so I didn't haha :smile:
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

No probs! Check out right to buy scheme which might help you out a lot :smile:
Original post by neal95
No probs! Check out right to buy scheme which might help you out a lot :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Essentially it depends on where you want to live. If you get a really cheap, less than beautiful home, you can pay it off within about 10 years (being quite frugal!). Then you have equity and you move on up from there.

Use the help to buy scheme, and stay away from places like London. Also you can barter on the deposits - just because it says you need to put £25,000 down on it, doesnt mean you do. Call them up and try and get it lowered. Do the same for the overall price as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending