The Student Room Group

Will I get fired ?

The store that I work at has failed its ' Think 25 check ' because I failed to ask a customer who was under 25 for ID who was buying alcohol.

I can't remember the customer but apparently they were 18/19 and so I should've checked for ID as per the think 25 policy.

I have an investigatory meeting in a few days time which may lead to disciplinary action....

Do you think I'll get fired as I think it's pretty serious and I'm feeling pretty awful about the whole thing :frown:

Scroll to see replies

:hugs:
It's true that you might lose your job but that's the only way you'll learn not to break the rules in the future. Sometimes the lesson isn't learned until you face the consequences.
(That's how I lost my job btw, 8 weeks on I'm still looking)
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
:hugs:
It's true that you might lose your job but that's the only way you'll learn not to break the rules in the future. Sometimes the lesson isn't learned until you face the consequences.
(That's how I lost my job btw, 8 weeks on I'm still looking)

You lost your job cause of the ID thing ? - oh god I probably will go then . I hope you find a job soon :smile: what do I do if I get fired like do I have to say on my CV that I was dismissed or can I just not mention it and hope they don't ask
The only way you will save your job now is that if you tell them your sorry and wont do it again and learned your lesson. You are having a meeting for a reason. If they wanted they could've already fired you by now
Reply 4
At least they weren't under 18, else it would be very bad.. Chances are if this is your first offence then you'll probably just get a final warning or something.. Depends if it's an automatic dismissal offence.
Original post by fefssdf
You lost your job cause of the ID thing ? - oh god I probably will go then . I hope you find a job soon :smile: what do I do if I get fired like do I have to say on my CV that I was dismissed or can I just not mention it and hope they don't ask

nope, not specifically "ID thing" but a similar "don't do this or you'll be gone" warning - which was that i didn't give 100% on my work AND drifted away from it one too many times
and also, don't mention it in your CV or during any interviews that you were dismissed for whatever reason. It becomes exceedingly harder to get another job if you did, since you are judged on your past...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ThunderStormzy
The only way you will save your job now is that if you tell them your sorry and wont do it again and learned your lesson. You are having a meeting for a reason. If they wanted they could've already fired you by now

I guess I'll just keep apologising but I feel it won't be enough as I'm not liked much at work anyways so I won't be much of a loss to them :/
Reply 7
nope, not specifically "ID thing" but a similar "don't do this or you'll be gone" warning - which was that i didn't give 100% on my work AND drifted away from it one too many times

Ah man yeh it's harsh isn't it . A simple mistake can cost you your job and I think I'm gonna learn this soon enough. If I were the manager then I'd probably sack me as well .
Original post by fefssdf
I guess I'll just keep apologising but I feel it won't be enough as I'm not liked much at work anyways so I won't be much of a loss to them :/

Dont feel bad. We've all done that at some point and some people get away with it, some dont. When your working its easy to miss things like this
Reply 9
Original post by Xellah
At least they weren't under 18, else it would be very bad.. Chances are if this is your first offence then you'll probably just get a final warning or something.. Depends if it's an automatic dismissal offence.

Yeh I'm pretty sure they said today that the customer was 18 and that it was just about the how think 25 thing but I'm worried I misheard them and it could be under 18 in which case it's like illegal and I would be sacked but then surely I would've already been sacked now. I'll happily take a final warning as I deserve it but I have been in trouble before - it hasn't gone to the the disciplinary but I feel like I've been given too many chances :/
Reply 10
Dont feel bad. We've all done that at some point and some people get away with it, some dont. When your working its easy to miss things like this

I can't even remember the customer they're talking about but I'm guessing it was someone who looked obviously not 25. They're going to show me the customers picture at the meeting. Do you think I should just insist that they did look 25 or just own up and say I made a mistake like idk what's the best option :/ ?
Reply 11
Yeh I guess I should just forget about it and hope I can still gain some form on employment in the future . Thanks for the advice.
Reply 12
and also, don't mention it in your CV or during any interviews that you were dismissed for whatever reason. It becomes exceedingly harder to get another job if you did, since you are judged on your past...

Ok thanks and yeh I guess I'll just not mention about dismissals if it comes to it and hope when they come to give me a reference that they don't mention it either or I could just use my old employer for a reference instead ...
Reply 13
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh I'm pretty sure they said today that the customer was 18 and that it was just about the how think 25 thing but I'm worried I misheard them and it could be under 18 in which case it's like illegal and I would be sacked but then surely I would've already been sacked now. I'll happily take a final warning as I deserve it but I have been in trouble before - it hasn't gone to the the disciplinary but I feel like I've been given too many chances :/

If they were under 18 you'd end up with a fine and a maybe a 6 month prison sentence, so if that were the case, you'd already know about it. It's very difficult to sack people, so unless they count it as gross misconduct I don't think they could sack you without going through warnings first. It may be worth considering quitting if it seems likely they'll sack you, then you won't have to worry about having to mention it, as it technically never happened! But your best bet is to read through any paperwork you were given or the contract, which should let you know the likelihood of whichever punishment you'll receive.
Original post by fefssdf
I can't even remember the customer they're talking about but I'm guessing it was someone who looked obviously not 25. They're going to show me the customers picture at the meeting. Do you think I should just insist that they did look 25 or just own up and say I made a mistake like idk what's the best option :/ ?

Well your going to have to apologize either way or they will fire you if you dont even say what you did was wrong. But as for insisting, your going to have to decide that when you look at the picture because if it obviously looks like a 18/19 year old then theres no point lying but if it somewhat looks like a 22-25 year old then you should insist it looked like a 25 year old.
Reply 15
Original post by Xellah
If they were under 18 you'd end up with a fine and a maybe a 6 month prison sentence, so if that were the case, you'd already know about it. It's very difficult to sack people, so unless they count it as gross misconduct I don't think they could sack you without going through warnings first. It may be worth considering quitting if it seems likely they'll sack you, then you won't have to worry about having to mention it, as it technically never happened! But your best bet is to read through any paperwork you were given or the contract, which should let you know the likelihood of whichever punishment you'll receive.

Jesus ****ing Christ I'm so ****ing lucky that they weren't under 18 - rather not end up in prison ****ing hell. That has just hit home how serious this is . I'm not going to quit because I was already going to leave anyway in September for uni ( hopefully ) so I might as well just stay to see what happens I guess... I'll try and find the stuff about the warnings as I have no idea how it works but I can see it going straight to a dismissal really cause it's nearly breaking the law and I'm pretty sure my shop is in deep **** right now cause of me
Reply 16
Well your going to have to apologize either way or they will fire you if you dont even say what you did was wrong. But as for insisting, your going to have to decide that when you look at the picture because if it obviously looks like a 18/19 year old then theres no point lying but if it somewhat looks like a 22-25 year old then you should insist it looked like a 25 year old.

I guess yeh I'll just go with my gut instinct but I'm guessing I'd be better of saying that ' oh sorry yeh that deffo isn't a 25 year old and that I should be more alert ect ' and that I am so sorry which I am yet I'm also prepared to argue my case if they do look somewhat 25 ish .
Reply 17
Original post by fefssdf
Jesus ****ing Christ I'm so ****ing lucky that they weren't under 18 - rather not end up in prison ****ing hell. That has just hit home how serious this is . I'm not going to quit because I was already going to leave anyway in September for uni ( hopefully ) so I might as well just stay to see what happens I guess... I'll try and find the stuff about the warnings as I have no idea how it works but I can see it going straight to a dismissal really cause it's nearly breaking the law and I'm pretty sure my shop is in deep **** right now cause of me

Your employer should have told you that.. Up to six months in jail and/or up to £20000 fine.. It's really backwards, dealing with underage drinking by destroying the life of the cashier.. Doesn't work really.. But as I say, if it were the case you'd have already been done for it, just make sure to always check for id if you're not sure! It's a surprisingly dangerous game being in retail :/
Reply 18
As has been said, take a look at the photo and decide for yourself whether they looked 25. Be honest.

But don't be too hard on yourself. The law says that you have to be 18 to buy alcohol, not that you have to look 25. You "broke" store policy, not the law. No crime has been committed.
Surely this think 25 thing has flaws, what if your perception of what 25 year olds should look like differs from others? Id say you thought the customer looked 27ish they cant sack you for having a different opinion. Id style it and say maybe as you are struggling to identify ages of people to move you to a different department, ofcourse they would know you were chatting **** but they have to abide by employment law at the end of the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending