theft
fraud
•assault
•privilege card misuse
consumption of products

But it says these are examples only so I guess I could still get fired
Reply 21
Original post by AsapRocky
Surely this think 25 thing has flaws, what if your perception of what 25 year olds should look like differs from others? Id say you thought the customer looked 27ish they cant sack you for having a different opinion. Id style it and say maybe as you are struggling to identify ages of people to move you to a different department, ofcourse they would know you were chatting **** but they have to abide by employment law at the end of the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I totally agree I said today that is subjective and if I think someone is 25 then that's my personal opinion and so surely I haven't done anything wrong just by making a wrong estimate or someone's age. I just feel they're gonna make out like I just don't bother checking anyone's ID which really isn't the case as if it's some teenager then I always check but if someone doesn't look like some kid then I think some people would check and others wouldn't which means the system is flawed. I'm probably gonna end up in a massive argument about this in the meeting but people need to understand that this is a very subjective measure cause guessing people's ages is easier said then done :/

They offered today to have my working on a different department actually so I'm tempted to just say that maybe I would be better of not on the till and stacking shelves or something cause I love my job but maybe I need to do something more suited to my skills. I probably should've taken up the offer of working on another department today actually cause then It shows that I care more I guess but oh well they might offer again soon and I'll take them up on it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Xellah
Your employer should have told you that.. Up to six months in jail and/or up to £20000 fine.. It's really backwards, dealing with underage drinking by destroying the life of the cashier.. Doesn't work really.. But as I say, if it were the case you'd have already been done for it, just make sure to always check for id if you're not sure! It's a surprisingly dangerous game being in retail :/

Wow, this is actually enough to make me just quit my job all together and go back to working in fast food where there's no alcohol sold :/ I guess from now on I'm going to have to keep checking everyone as I must admit a lot of time I probably do let people off who could be perceived to be not 25 and so today has really thrown me off. It is a bit unfair I mean someone could be selling alcohol to an underage person and get away with it yet another person may do it but then they get landed with a prison sentence cause it happens to be done for a store inspection thing - so harsh
Reply 23
Original post by offhegoes
As has been said, take a look at the photo and decide for yourself whether they looked 25. Be honest.

But don't be too hard on yourself. The law says that you have to be 18 to buy alcohol, not that you have to look 25. You "broke" store policy, not the law. No crime has been committed.

Yeh but the think 25 thing is pretty like mainstream like I'm sure all stores have to abide by the rule so it's not just my company implementing it which makes me think it's more serious
Original post by fefssdf
Wow, this is actually enough to make me just quit my job all together and go back to working in fast food where there's no alcohol sold :/ I guess from now on I'm going to have to keep checking everyone as I must admit a lot of time I probably do let people off who could be perceived to be not 25 and so today has really thrown me off. It is a bit unfair I mean someone could be selling alcohol to an underage person and get away with it yet another person may do it but then they get landed with a prison sentence cause it happens to be done for a store inspection thing - so harsh

If you get the impression they will sack you Id quit before they get the chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh but the think 25 thing is pretty like mainstream like I'm sure all stores have to abide by the rule so it's not just my company implementing it which makes me think it's more serious

Its really not serious as the person was of the correct age. Its all BS anyway no one would go prison over that and its the store that gets the fine not the individual

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
If you get the impression they will sack you Id quit before they get the chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not too sure what will happen cause I mean today they just said that I have failed the check and that they will have the investigation meeting but I did get my point across and there seemed to be some understanding that it wasn't intentional and that they believed me when I said I didn't remember the customer but they were starting to make out like I don't check ID and much as I should as I mentioned how I always check ID In the Evenings but then it made it seem like I don't check ID At other times so I'm going to have to be careful to make sure I say how I always check it in the meeting no matter what time of day it is
Reply 27
Its really not serious as the person was of the correct age. Its all BS anyway no one would go prison over that and its the store that gets the fine not the individual

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure the store takes it seriously though as they've now failed their inspection thing because of me which is going to look really bad and cause a lot of headaches for the mangers and they called me up to the office ASAP to have the initial meeting which was pretty quick like they knew it was a major issue cause other times when I've been told off they've left it a while but this seemed more immediate
Reply 28
Original post by Xellah
If they were under 18 you'd end up with a fine and a maybe a 6 month prison sentence, so if that were the case, you'd already know about it. It's very difficult to sack people, so unless they count it as gross misconduct I don't think they could sack you without going through warnings first. It may be worth considering quitting if it seems likely they'll sack you, then you won't have to worry about having to mention it, as it technically never happened! But your best bet is to read through any paperwork you were given or the contract, which should let you know the likelihood of whichever punishment you'll receive.

That's not the case.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/licensing_of_alcohol/#kids
"Sale or Supply of Alcohol to Children
A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 (£5,000) on the standard scale."

And that's worst case. Usually:
http://www.underagesales.co.uk/alcohol.html
"In most police force areas, the offence of selling alcohol to a person under 18 years of age can be dealt with by a £90 penalty notice and in some areas can be addressed by an education scheme - i.e. retraining the offender to prevent further sales."
Original post by fefssdf
I'm not too sure what will happen cause I mean today they just said that I have failed the check and that they will have the investigation meeting but I did get my point across and there seemed to be some understanding that it wasn't intentional and that they believed me when I said I didn't remember the customer but they were starting to make out like I don't check ID and much as I should as I mentioned how I always check ID In the Evenings but then it made it seem like I don't check ID At other times so I'm going to have to be careful to make sure I say how I always check it in the meeting no matter what time of day it is

When I worked checkouts, we were supposed to fill in a book every time we asked for ID. Does your store have that? If so, you could use that to argue that you do ask for ID and this particular case was just an error of judgement.
Definitely apologise though and tell them you'll be a lot more careful in future.

Good luck!
I would start looking for a new job now
Reply 31
Original post by DarkMagic
When I worked checkouts, we were supposed to fill in a book every time we asked for ID. Does your store have that? If so, you could use that to argue that you do ask for ID and this particular case was just an error of judgement.
Definitely apologise though and tell them you'll be a lot more careful in future.

Good luck!

We don't have a book no as we are a massive store with tonnes of customers. I'll try to apologise to them but I feel they won't think it is sincere cause I've been in trouble before for various things and I managed to held it together at work today rather than crying which I've done before cause I'm an emotional person. I'm just glad that they've given me the warning now before the meeting cause now I can prepare what I'm going to say to them
Reply 32
Original post by fefssdf

No, Challenge 25 is not a law unless you're in Scotland. Even in Scotland though a person selling alcohol to someone who looks under 25 has committed no crime.

Let me repeat, you have not committed a crime.
Reply 33
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
I would start looking for a new job now

I don't think I'm going to bother quite frankly - hopefully I'll get Into uni and so won't be on the job hunt till like October so In which case I'd just have to survive for a few months without a job . Gutting cause I wanted to spend my summer saving up money for uni ect but ain't gonna be the case now most likely
Reply 34
Original post by offhegoes
No, Challenge 25 is not a law unless you're in Scotland. Even in Scotland though a person selling alcohol to someone who looks under 25 has committed no crime.

Let me repeat, you have not committed a crime.

Oh thanks a lot cause I did genuine think it was some sort of legal thing - do you know who is in charge of the whole think 25 thing like is it just something companies use or is it a government initiative . Need to get the facts straight
Don't you worry about it. When my mum worked at a shop (a job she has since left) she forgot to ask someone for ID to prove they were 25, and she was simply given a disciplinary warning; if she did it again, she would be suspended, her job's future pending. However, her boss wasn't very lenient on her. Depending on this, you may either get a very stern warning, or a slap on the wrist. Either way, make sure it doesn't happen again.
Reply 36
Original post by fefssdf
Oh thanks a lot cause I did genuine think it was some sort of legal thing - do you know who is in charge of the whole think 25 thing like is it just something companies use or is it a government initiative . Need to get the facts straight

In Scotland it is law for a company selling alcohol to have a Challenge 25 policy. The company is legally obliged to enforce this and an employee is only deemed to have committed a crime if they sell alcohol to someone actually under 18.

In the rest of the UK Challenge 25 is not a law whatsoever. It is a scheme many companies sign up to by haing such a policy. It holds no legal weight whatsoever.

Your employers can of course fire you for failing to adhere to their policy if it constitues gross misconduct. Do you have someone at work you can be present with you at any meeting to ensure everything is done properly? It is your right to have someone present if this is a disciplinary meeting in any way.
Reply 37
Original post by Adamski191
Don't you worry about it. When my mum worked at a shop (a job she has since left) she forgot to ask someone for ID to prove they were 25, and she was simply given a disciplinary warning; if she did it again, she would be suspended, her job's future pending. However, her boss wasn't very lenient on her. Depending on this, you may either get a very stern warning, or a slap on the wrist. Either way, make sure it doesn't happen again.

I will happily take any warning they throw at me but I just don't want to get dismissed but I'm less stressed now you've told me someone else didn't get sacked for the same thing
Reply 38
Original post by jneill
That's not the case.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/licensing_of_alcohol/#kids
"Sale or Supply of Alcohol to Children
A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 (£5,000) on the standard scale."

And that's worst case. Usually:
http://www.underagesales.co.uk/alcohol.html
"In most police force areas, the offence of selling alcohol to a person under 18 years of age can be dealt with by a £90 penalty notice and in some areas can be addressed by an education scheme - i.e. retraining the offender to prevent further sales."

Ah sorry I was mistaken.. However if you persistently do it, then I was right about the £20k.. Obviously my old workplace skipped over the persistently bit ha! Also just noticed nothing about prison.. Methinks they tried to use fear against us!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Xellah
Ah sorry I was mistaken.. However if you persistently do it, then I was right about the £20k.. Obviously my old workplace skipped over the persistently bit ha!

Probably just trying to frighten you :smile:

But in any case it would likely be the manager or licensee who would be in real trouble. Not a very junior member of staff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending