The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tangotangopapa2
How powerful is PAT score? I mean, with enough practice I could score 90+ at PAT, and I don't have GCSEs (I have equivalent qualifications but they are not that great). I kind of ruined my A levels (tbh I was attempting to self teach A level Physics, Maths and Further Maths in 3 months). I might have to resit my Further Maths next year. What are my chances?
Do you think PAT can save me?

The PAT is the most important part of the process (from an Oxford tutor) and if you do well enough in that they forget about your past. Here is the presentation they used at the open day last year which confirms this -

https://vimeo.com/132190336

Skip to 24:40 for the bit about a 'black mark' on your application not mattering and 14:25 about the importance of the PAT :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PhyM23
The PAT is the most important part of the process (from an Oxford tutor) and if you do well enough in that they forget about your past. Here is the presentation they used at the open day last year which confirms this -

Skip to 24:40 for the bit about a 'black mark' on your application not mattering and 14:25 about the importance of the PAT :smile:

I do only 3 alevels and might consider as further maths for next year ( self teach school doesn't offer)
I haven't had any as grades yet because of the reforms besides AS further maths so not to sure what they'll judge me on ??
My internal mocks were days after as math boards so none of my friends and me did well really but my teacher in a little good faith predicted A*A*A chemistry wanted to give me A* but she couldn't
as further maths could not be predicted at first because my teacher might be teaching it but she said to just put an A for AS FM
Hope these were be good enough and they vns overlook 5A*3A these were the max my schoo let me take tho /:
Scared about the pat :tongue:
Thank you so much. Glad to know.

Original post by PhyM23

Now all I need to do is to find a reference, as I did not attend a school for A-levels.
Original post by PhyM23

Hey, that said, if I do really well in the PAT but my predicted grades are not as what they would expect would I still have a chance. I got 3 A*'s, 6A's and 2B's at GCSE. My personal statement will also be exceptionally good and I know a few people at the engineering department at Oxford already and will be doing stuff with them during the summer.
Reply 24
Original post by NatoHeadshot
I do only 3 alevels and might consider as further maths for next year ( self teach school doesn't offer)
I haven't had any as grades yet because of the reforms besides AS further maths so not to sure what they'll judge me on ??
My internal mocks were days after as math boards so none of my friends and me did well really but my teacher in a little good faith predicted A*A*A chemistry wanted to give me A* but she couldn't
as further maths could not be predicted at first because my teacher might be teaching it but she said to just put an A for AS FM
Hope these were be good enough and they vns overlook 5A*3A these were the max my schoo let me take tho /:
Scared about the pat :tongue:

I would strongly recommend doing as much Further Maths as possible. Dr Graeme Smith who's a Physics lecturer at Somerville College told me last September at the open day that he didn't do FM and when he did his undergrad at Oxford he said it was more difficult. That being said he came out with a First at the end of it. He did mention that it would have been a lot better having done FM before university.

Also 3 A levels is absolutely fine and Oxford do not discriminate between people with 3 A levels or 4. After all some schools may not even allow people to do 4!

They will most certainly judge you on the PAT and the interview and very slightly on the rest, but honestly not a whole lot from what I've read/heard from professors. I think that's why Cambridge have introduced the Nat Sci entrance exam because of the A Level changes.

Your GCSEs are great. I think Oxford say on their website somewhere that the average is around 4-11 A*s at GCSE, but it is not uncommon for people with 11+ to be rejected, and people with fewer than 4 to be accepted. A lot changes after GCSE after all!

I was nervous for the PAT, but if you do the stuff I outlined you'll be absolutely fine. I was honestly so chilled during my PAT and was just excited to do Physics questions which involved somewhat difficult Maths, unlike A Level Physics haha
Reply 25
Original post by Logic938
Hey, that said, if I do really well in the PAT but my predicted grades are not as what they would expect would I still have a chance. I got 3 A*'s, 6A's and 2B's at GCSE. My personal statement will also be exceptionally good and I know a few people at the engineering department at Oxford already and will be doing stuff with them during the summer.

You would definitely have a chance. If you score well on the PAT they will see that you have great potential. A lot can change from when you were given your predicted grades to when you do your exams. Your GCSEs are absolutely fine as they are of minimal importance in the application process.

It's really good that you'll be able to get an insight from other people in the Summer :smile:
Reply 26
Thank you so much. Glad to know.

Now all I need to do is to find a reference, as I did not attend a school for A-levels.

No problem at all! :smile:
Original post by PhyM23
You would definitely have a chance. If you score well on the PAT they will see that you have great potential. A lot can change from when you were given your predicted grades to when you do your exams. Your GCSEs are absolutely fine as they are of minimal importance in the application process.

It's really good that you'll be able to get an insight from other people in the Summer :smile:

Thanks a lot! Would you mind if I talk t you more personally over message about personal statement and tips and stuff? :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Logic938
Thanks a lot! Would you mind if I talk t you more personally over message about personal statement and tips and stuff? :smile:

Of course! :smile:
Original post by PhyM23
Of course! :smile:

Btw where do you currently study if you don't mind and what course?
Also the thing about integrating force and stuff and differentiating where is that covered or is it there in a2? Or is it like something you're assumed to figure out
Also the thing about integrating force and stuff and differentiating where is that covered or is it there in a2? Or is it like something you're assumed to figure out

I want to practice those type of quwstions
Reply 31

Haha I've just finished sixth form so not at uni yet! However my firm is Lancaster to do Theoretical Physics with Maths.

For Edexcel it is A2, more specifically in M3.

That could be the intention, but the specification is rather vague so they might expect it. From what i saw a lot the physics lecturers didn't know what was on the A Level spec exactly. However there's no harm in learning something they expect you to figure out! You have to self teach loads at uni after all!
Reply 32
Something else which is crucial to revise is simple harmonic motion. It came up last year and threw me a little as you had to use calculus. Therefore make sure you all look over trig differentiation and integration.
I want to practice those type of quwstions

For the questions involving Calculus, I refer to University Physics by Young and Freedman (there is a pdf version online). The question involving Calculus are marked 'Calc'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
For the questions involving Calculus, I refer to University Physics by Young and Freedman (there is a pdf version online). The question involving Calculus are marked 'Calc'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was reading this book two days ago haha
Original post by PhyM23
I was reading this book two days ago haha

Haha. Bridging problems (only in 13th edition) are especially great.

I also attempted the following book called '200 puzzling problems in physics' and I looked stupid there.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4198061&p=66318984#post66318984
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Haha. Bridging problems (only in 13th edition) are especially great.

I also attempted the following book called '200 puzzling problems in physics' and I looked stupid there.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4198061&p=66318984#post66318984

I haven't looked at the bridging problems yet but I definitely will do! Haha I wouldn't worry! That problem looks rather tricky! It looks like an awesome book and I will make use of it myself! There is also this website made by Cambridge I believe. I use this loads and think it's great!

https://isaacphysics.org/gameboards#84199d53-2d1c-4046-b452-4f7cf410a6d0

You should attempt the level 4 5 and, if you're daring enough, the level 6 questions (these are first year university level :wink: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PhyM23
I haven't looked at the bridging problems yet but I definitely will do! Haha I wouldn't worry! That problem looks rather tricky! It looks like an awesome book and I will make use of it myself! There is also this website made by Cambridge I believe. I use this loads and think it's great!

You should attempt the level 4 5 and, if you're daring enough, the level 6 questions (these are first year university level :wink: )

Thank you for the link. That looks great.
Sure, I will attempt to complete that website today. :biggrin::wink::tongue: Not sure if it is possible.
Original post by PhyM23

The questions does not specify if we are allowed to use calculator. Hope I would not be cheating if I were using a calculator.
Reply 39
Thank you for the link. That looks great.
Sure, I will attempt to complete that website today. :biggrin::wink::tongue: Not sure if it is possible.

No problem! Haha you may struggle to do everything :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending