The Student Room Group

Year 10 preparation

Does anyone have advice for year 10? Any revision required for the summer holidays? What should I do for each of the subjects- revision? homework?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't say you need to do anything going into yr 10 from yr 9. Enjoy summer :smile:

Once you're in year 10 and are starting GCSEs, just keep on top of homework and make sure you understand everything thats being taught :smile:
Just relax and have a fun summer is all I can say, don't worry about extra work/revision it's not worth it :smile:
don't do anything - IMO year 10 was one of the best years :smile:
I literally just left Year 10 and am now in Year 11 (we have this system here called 'Transition' where everyone moves up to their next year around two weeks before the summer holidays) and let me tell you now; while it won't be as near to stressful as it will be in Year 11, do understand that Year 10 is a time to get down to business to ensure you're prepared for the s**tstorm that is exams season.
Well i wouldn't say that you shouldn't do any revision in the summer but I think you should do some revision like sitting out in the sun with a revision book and just flicking through it! I mean you don't want to forget about all the things you learnt in Year 9, I'm moving to year 10 as well and i learnt a lot of difficult things like completing the square and if i don't recap it in the next 6 weeks then i will completely forget all about it and i wouldn't just leave all those hours of revision down the drain for no reason! Anyways just enjoy your summer and try to do as much recap as possible:smile:
Bruh:colondollar: just chill you still have time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, as advice from a year 10... I would try and find out which exam board and specific courses you are taking for each subject (hopefully you know) go on the exam boards website and scroll through the specification, really you'll just get a heads up on what you're learning over the next two years and feel more confident and understand how your course works.
I'd also recommend buying a folder for each subject to place revision notes in. It seems early, but make extensive notes even early in year 10 and put them in folders. It will help you, I promise!
Reply 8
I agree with the others, you don't really need to do anything in the holiday from year 9 to 10. All you need to worry about is focusing in lessons and doing coursework, (for those subjects it still exists for).
Original post by sumonaafrose
Does anyone have advice for year 10? Any revision required for the summer holidays? What should I do for each of the subjects- revision? homework?

don't mess around in year 10, trust me i know what happens when you do

I can't remember doing anything in the summer between year 9 and 10 woops. Enjoy your summer :smile:
I don't think you have to do anything. Just enjoy summer. My little brother is the same ages as you and all he is doing is watching tv and playing games.
Don't bother revising. As long as you complete all your homework and revise your weak areas before each exam you'll do well.

My only advice is, if you still have coursework in some subjects, do your VERY hardest to get that to the top grades because it gives you a bit of relief when the exams come round that you've already collected a few marks. Adding to this, if there are any topics that you don't understand throughout the year, ask your teacher: you don't want to have misinterpreted a context and only realise it next year. Oh, and have fun...donot get stressed, relax and keep calm.

I'm moving into year 10 as well, and I'm not gonna do much. I don't know how your school works, but since I'm in a grammer school, I started some of my GCSE courses this year (yr 9) and I take two gcses at the end of yr 10 so over the summer I'm going to make some notes on what I've learnt this year (I won't do these topics again) so that when I come to revising, I dont need to waste time making all the notes or searching for information.

Also next year at the end of each topic I will make notes on it because it makes it so much easier when exam time comes.

Just relax though. Yr 10 is meant to be the best year. Just make sure you do your homework well and on time and ask a teacher for help if you don't understand something.

My best tip is just to enjoy yourself so that your refreshed and relaxed when you go back to school, then you'll learn better and enjoy school more. Summer is for relaxing :smile:
Original post by surina16
don't do anything - IMO year 10 was one of the best years :smile:

Yeah yr 10 was the best- way more fun and chilled than yr 11! You could get away with doing practically nothing!:tongue:

Yr 10 is your last proper year of school so enjoy it! Just have fun! It is a good year of school!:smile:
You should obviously do some work- don't completely slack off but do not do loads of work, yr 11 is for that!
Don't bother doing anything. Enjoy the freedom whilst you still can. Have fun. Forget about pointless, stupid Year 10 work.
Original post by Adamski191
I literally just left Year 10 and am now in Year 11 (we have this system here called 'Transition' where everyone moves up to their next year around two weeks before the summer holidays) and let me tell you now; while it won't be as near to stressful as it will be in Year 11, do understand that Year 10 is a time to get down to business to ensure you're prepared for the s**tstorm that is exams season.

Don't panic exam season (well for GCSE'S anyway) is nowhere near as bad as it seems.:smile:
You seriously need to chill out. Don't bother worrying until around easter yr 11

Quick Reply

Latest