The Student Room Group

Functional Skills Level 2

I'm thinking of taking this as I retook GCSE Maths and am not sure I got a C. Might be worth trying a different qual? I know it's not valued as much, but til I get a GCSE it might be better than just having a D in Maths? Any thoughts? :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greenmang0
I'm thinking of taking this as I retook GCSE Maths and am not sure I got a C. Might be worth trying a different qual? I know it's not valued as much, but til I get a GCSE it might be better than just having a D in Maths? Any thoughts? :colondollar:

I believe at most colleges and Sixth Forms, there is an option to retake your GCSE English and Maths as it is essential for most higher education opportunities. My personal advice to you would be to go to college/Sixth Form ( if that is your ambition and you have the grades to get in) and then retake the Maths GCSE during Year 12. Someone may be able to correct me but Functional Skills at Level 2 at least isn't very well valued at all. I don't believe universities would accept it for one and employers may be confused over why you don't have a C+ in Maths at GCSE.
Reply 2
Original post by CTLevers
I believe at most colleges and Sixth Forms, there is an option to retake your GCSE English and Maths as it is essential for most higher education opportunities. My personal advice to you would be to go to college/Sixth Form ( if that is your ambition and you have the grades to get in) and then retake the Maths GCSE during Year 12. Someone may be able to correct me but Functional Skills at Level 2 at least isn't very well valued at all. I don't believe universities would accept it for one and employers may be confused over why you don't have a C+ in Maths at GCSE.

I'm at a college and have applied to unis but I'm waiting on my GCSE Maths result. There's a learning centre in my city that regularly offers the opportunity for people to sit Functional Skills exams. My thinking is that if I fail my GCSE, at least if I got the Functional Skills qual it shows recent evidence of having some numeracy? I don't know, or maybe it wouldn't change anything? It doesn't take long for you to get the Functional Skills qual at all so I'd have it before GCSE results come out, I think.
Reply 3
Loads of unis say on their websites that you need grade C in GCSE Maths 'or equivalent', should I just assume that it means National 5 Maths or whatever rather than anything like Functional Skills?
Loads of unis say on their websites that you need grade C in GCSE Maths 'or equivalent', should I just assume that it means National 5 Maths or whatever rather than anything like Functional Skills?

I'm afraid a Level 2 FS is not worth a GCSE. This quote is taken directly from the website: '
They are available in English, maths and ICT. The qualifications are available at five different levels: Entry Levels 1, 2 and 3 and Levels 1 and 2. Level 1 is roughlyequivalent to half of a grade D/E GCSE, while Level 3 is roughly equivalent to half of a grade B GCSE.
Therefore you'd need to atleast do a Level 3 functional skills to be in decent pass level at GCSE and even then it's only equivalent to half a GCSE.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by CTLevers
I'm afraid a Level 2 FS is not worth a GCSE. This quote is taken directly from the website: '
Therefore you'd need to atleast do a Level 3 functional skills to be in decent pass level at GCSE and even then it's only equivalent to half a GCSE.

Half a grade B?! What on earth does that mean :redface:
Reply 6
I'm guessing Level 2 is equiv to half a grade C, then. But which half :tongue:
I'm guessing Level 2 is equiv to half a grade C, then. But which half :tongue:

Quite possibly :P I'd say your best bet would to be either email or phone the university you have firmed and maybe insurance and ask them on their acceptance of which Functional Skills if you were to go down that route. Never know, you may have got that C in your GCSE retake :smile:

1. Level 2 functional skills may be accepted instead of GCSE grade C for some uni and college courses and by some employers. The advantage is that you could take FS and get results back much sooner than you could resit GCSE if you need to. You would need to check acceptability each time.
2. Level 2 functional skills exams are not easy, while the maths is typical of a C grade candidate, the problem solving skills required mean you need to prepare well if you want to succeed (especially if you do it with City & Guilds)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by gdunne42
1. Level 2 functional skills may be accepted instead of GCSE grade C for some uni and college courses and by some employers. The advantage is that you could take FS and get results back much sooner than you could resit GCSE if you need to. You would need to check acceptability each time.
2. Level 2 functional skills exams are not easy, while the maths is typical of a C grade candidate, the problem solving skills required mean you need to prepare well if you want to succeed (especially if you do it with City & Guilds)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they're not easy why are they so unvalued? :redface:
If they're not easy why are they so unvalued? :redface:

They are not completely valueless, indeed I know several people who have got places on university courses and access courses on the strength of functional skills maths rather than GCSE grade C. Some employers accept them and they from part of many apprenticeships. There's a lot of qualification snobbery on TSR making you think they are never useful. That said they are not always enough and certainly would not meet the requirement for a GCSE grade B if that was an entry requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
They are not completely valueless, indeed I know several people who have got places on university courses and access courses on the strength of functional skills maths rather than GCSE grade C. Some employers accept them and they from part of many apprenticeships. There's a lot of qualification snobbery on TSR making you think they are never useful. That said they are not always enough and certainly would not meet the requirement for a GCSE grade B if that was an entry requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm looking for a C (a B would be great but I am very bad at Maths, so a C would be a great achievement and it's what most unis want for the course I'm interested in)
Attention: look ag university websites - almost all universes accept functional skills level 2. I myself refused to take Functional Skills for 3 years thinking it was undervalued but actually it is so much more straightforward than GCSE, equal to a C grade and even better ... universities take it as an entry requirement... even Russel group universities such as De Mont Fort, University of Leicester and Oxford, every single university I looked at (15 ) accepted it. Functional skills Level 2 is a C grade equivalent and actually much easier to interpret and gain marks than a GCSE maths exam. Please understand this is generally only the for Functional Skills Maths where a GCSE Grade C in English is in place and typically GCSE English is always a requiremeng but with maths it’s is seen as a likewise equal. Look for yourself.
I passed my Functional Maths 2 today, 73%. I'm pleased with it. I'm almost 50.

Hanging quietly, blending in with the students... lol
What did it entail? Was it multiple choice or written?Thanks and well done you
Did you find it easy?
Original post by InHidding
I passed my Functional Maths 2 today, 73%. I'm pleased with it. I'm almost 50.

Hanging quietly, blending in with the students... lol
I passed my level 2 functional skills in maths. I did it with the Edexcel exam board and received my results two weeks after I did the exam. The key to passing is practising!. I did almost all of the past test papers, watched YouTube explaining what I was unsure of and completed maths exercise books.The exam was intense, I wouldn’t say it was hard though. You just have to read the questions carefully and show ALL of your workings out.I needed to get the Level 2 in maths in order to get onto my degree course.
I am 42 and have just passed Level 2 Maths as am doing a foundation degree in HR, so need Maths and English to graduate. It isn't 'easy' but it is more akin to real life scenarios, although you do need the maths knowledge from GCSE to some degree. As someone said previously look online at what it entails. The questions need to be read carefully as I am sure they try to trip you up and you have to explain your answers as well as show your working out. I would say it would be easier to pass than a GCSE. Many more employers and universities are accepting it as an alternative to GCSE.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by A.Wynterxx
I passed my level 2 functional skills in maths. I did it with the Edexcel exam board and received my results two weeks after I did the exam. The key to passing is practising!. I did almost all of the past test papers, watched YouTube explaining what I was unsure of and completed maths exercise books.The exam was intense, I wouldn’t say it was hard though. You just have to read the questions carefully and show ALL of your workings out.I needed to get the Level 2 in maths in order to get onto my degree course.

[quote="acorne27;86728396"]I am 42 and have just passed Level 2 Maths as am doing a foundation degree in HR, so need Maths and English to graduate. It isn't 'easy' but it is more akin to real life scenarios, although you do need the maths knowledge from GCSE to some degree. As someone said previously look online at what it entails. The questions need to be read carefully as I am sure they try to trip you up and you have to explain your answers as well as show your working out. I would say it would be easier to pass than a GCSE. Many more employers and universities are accepting it as an alternative to GCSE.

I finally passed my level two last year in June! I was so chuffed when I did!!
Resilience is the key!!! 😊👍🏾
Reply 19
Original post by A.Wynterxx
I passeHhi d my level 2 functional skills in maths. I did it with the Edexcel exam board and received my results two weeks after I did the exam. The key to passing is practising!. I did almost all of the past test papers, watched YouTube explaining what I was unsure of and completed maths exercise books.The exam was intense, I wouldn’t say it was hard though. You just have to read the questions carefully and show ALL of your workings out.I needed to get the Level 2 in maths in order to get onto my degree course.

Hi, did you take a course before taking the exam? Was it very wordy, the questions? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending