The Student Room Group

Racism in UK particularly London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by binarythoughts
Lived in London for a year, didn't encounter any kind of racism. Went to Brighton for a weekend, encountered it in the first 2 hours which was fun

What happened ?
Original post by Kadak
What happened ?

So, one fine weekend I decide to go to Brighton and Eastbourne with my girlfriends. We check into our hotel at night so during the day, we were walking around with our suitcases in Brighton like lunatics.
Anyway, went to the beach, had some fish and chips, put our feet in the water, realized we're not in Dubai and its freezing and instantly retracted them.
Went up to the pier. I was enjoying my ice cream looking at the sea, loving life, with my suitcase by my feet. My friends call me, a couple of meters away to take a picture with them. At this point I should probably point out that my friends were white. So I leave my suitcase momentarily and go to take this picture with them.
Meanwhile, this old lady comes from nearby where she was sitting, pointing to my suitcase and asking my group who it belonged to. One of my friends says its ours and we'll take it. She says, no who's is it specifically. So I say it's mine. At which point she says " no offence ma'am but there's probably a bomb in there so please keep it close to you".
All in all, it was a good day.
(edited 7 years ago)
So, one fine weekend I decide to go to Brighton and Eastbourne with my girlfriends. We check into our hotel at night so during the day, we were walking around with our suitcases in Brighton like lunatics.
Anyway, went to the beach, had some fish and chips, put our feet in the water, realized we're not in Dubai and its freezing and instantly retracted them.
Went up to the pier. I was enjoying my ice cream looking at the sea, loving life, with my suitcase by my feet. My friends call me, a couple of meters away to take a picture with them. At this point I should probably point out that my friends were white. So I leave my suitcase momentarily and go to take this picture with them.
Meanwhile, this old lady comes from nearby where she was sitting, pointing to my suitcase and asking my group who it belonged to. One of my friends says its ours and we'll take it. She says, no who's is it specifically. So I say it's mine. At which point she says " no offence ma'am but there's probably a bomb in there so please keep it close to you".

This is a serious level of stupidity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by timokane5
Karma I guess my friend - what goes around (English colonizing nearly 75% of the world and stealing assets not rightfully theirs) comes around (Foreigners moving to the UK and stealing benefits)! Thoroughly deserved IMHO!

I'll be waiting for payment from Morocco then, those damned Barbary pirates stole one of my grandmothers you know
Original post by Princepieman
This is a serious level of stupidity

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excuse me?
Excuse me?

He's obviously talking about that old lady. Not you :lol:

Well,in your blossoming life ahead of you,you will sometimes have a few weeds sprout out time and again.Just ignore them :h::smile:.
Original post by Student403
He's obviously talking about that old lady. Not you :lol:

I thought he was referring to my narrative skills after I put my heart and soul into that story
Original post by Kadak
Well,in your blossoming life ahead of you,you will sometimes have a few weeds sprout out time and again.Just ignore them :h::smile:.

Didn't bother me that much to be honest. That level of ignorance was almost refreshing.
I thought he was referring to my narrative skills after I put my heart and soul into that story

Nah, the old lady.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm Indian and I was born and have lived in NW London my entire life (I'm 18). Personally I've rarely encountered racism throughout the duration of my life, unless you count the one time a bald man in a white van shouted F***ing p*ki as he drove past, lol. Or when I'm on a bus and old people stare at me as if I'm from a different planet :c
Original post by ATW1
Racism? Immigrants are treated like royalty in the UK!

I don't think so, I was sent back to my country many times from the UK natives at work. :-)))
Reply 52
No more than anywhere else... Theres a huge number of Indians/Pakistanis/Bengalis etc. already here especially in the east around mile end way.
Original post by Rispekt
India was the worlds richest country before Britains rule it didnt need britains money even though britain did help in tech development. Instead britain only stole indias money. so your claim is wrong

+1 my friend! Exactly that - I was about to make that statement too. Yeah, as if the British "money" (not even their own money - and even if it was it was from stolen assets lol) that funded India. India was already rich and well frankly quite intelligent. The British money did not fund India. Only the British so-called ideology and I guess technology benefited India. But yeah, you are definitely right in saying that we (India) didn't need Britain's' money
Original post by jake4198
Your logic, my friend, is terrifying.

If all generations have to pay for their ancestors' past then why don't we lynch all white Americans because of the African slave trade? Why don't we commit genocide on the Chinese because of the Taiwan Strait Crises? Why don't we put all Germans into a concentration camp because of the Nazis? The movement of people has nothing to do with karma, but instead the inequality in regional economic development. As much as that might be down to early colonisation, much of India's development can be attributed to Britain's rule in the region as it was British money that funded schools, public services and jobs.

LMAO - British money. What British money? We (India) never needed your British money - we were already rich in assets and were frankly doing fine. What you gave us was maybe technology and ideology - but not money!
Your logic, my friend, is terrifying.

If all generations have to pay for their ancestors' past then why don't we lynch all white Americans because of the African slave trade? Why don't we commit genocide on the Chinese because of the Taiwan Strait Crises? Why don't we put all Germans into a concentration camp because of the Nazis? The movement of people has nothing to do with karma, but instead the inequality in regional economic development. As much as that might be down to early colonisation, much of India's development can be attributed to Britain's rule in the region as it was British money that funded schools, public services and jobs.

Are you insinuating that treating Indian immigrants with the respect and dignity that they deserve is comparable to putting Germans into concentration camps? Do you think that treating Indian immigrants well is a punishment to native English people?
I've experienced racism in London but it is a rare occurrence. Inner London is far more multi-cultural.
Original post by tanyapotter
Are you insinuating that treating Indian immigrants with the respect and dignity that they deserve is comparable to putting Germans into concentration camps? Do you think that treating Indian immigrants well is a punishment to native English people? You sick, disgusting individual.

Having seen a couple of posts from you over the last few days, you really are one of the most hysterical and emotionally unstable people I've ever talked to.

Not once did I imply that treating Indian with respect is comparable to putting Jews into concentration camps, and if you read my post properly and in context you would have known that. The originally reply said that we should accept immigrants from India because of the UK's colonial presence in the country back in the early 20th century. My reply was me questioning his logic, and not implying any of what you said.

Please tell me where I said treating Indian immigrants is a punishment to native Britons, or even where I implied it? I was implying that Indians shouldn't get any special treatment when it comes to immigration just because of the country's past.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
Are you insinuating that treating Indian immigrants with the respect and dignity that they deserve is comparable to putting Germans into concentration camps? Do you think that treating Indian immigrants well is a punishment to native English people? You sick, disgusting individual.

You clearly misread his post. He didn't insinuate that at all.
Having seen a couple of posts from you over the last few days, you really are one of the most hysterical and emotionally unstable people I've ever talked to.

Not once did I imply that treating Indian with respect is comparable to putting Jews into concentration camps, and if you read my post properly and in context you would have known that. The originally reply said that we should accept immigrants from India because of the UK's colonial presence in the country back in the early 20th century. My reply was me questioning his logic, and not implying any of what you said.

Please tell me where I said treating Indian immigrants is a punishment to native Britons, or even where I implied it? I was implying that Indians shouldn't get any special treatment when it comes to immigration just because of the country's past.

Yeah, we should accept immigrants of India because of the UK's colonial presence. You likened this to putting Germans in concentration camps because of Germany's history with Nazism. You very clearly said that. Don't try to retract this. What is flawed in his logic? It's your logic that is flawed, because you are comparing two wholly incomparable things.

And idgaf if you think I'm hysterical? You think you're level-headed and just. You're not. You just come across as someone pretending to be liberal and progressive, but who resents any of those sorts of ideologies deep down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending