The Student Room Group

Alton Sterling and what we know so far. Let's be objective.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dandaman1
I do know how to use Google, but most of the stories I'm finding involving armed standoffs don't have pictures of the suspect.

Update: But I did find this one from a week ago. Black guy, pointed gun at police officers, arrested. Although are you going to nitpick and say he didn't get a shot off so it doesn't count?

How many more do I need to satisfy you? Should I quit my job now or...?

Ok. You found one story. Well done *claps*

Yes the bolded does concern me. I find it very hard to believe that misfired a gun at an officer and was no charged with attempted murder. But I digress...
Original post by epage
nope. 229 unarmed people were killed by police last year. 103 were white. 79 were black.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

Regardless of whether we go by the Washington Post's numbers or the Guardian's, my original point stands.

Interpreting differences in percentages when comparing 79 to 103 people in a nation exceeding 300 million still doesn't work well.
Original post by Truths
Ok. You found one story. Well done *claps*

Yes the bolded does concern me. I find it very hard to believe that misfired a gun at an officer and was no charged with attempted murder. But I digress...

One from a week ago in a relatively brief google search. I'm sure if I had a team of researchers and was being paid to write an article about it, then I'd be able to find more...
A couple of days ago, a white man in Jackson, Mississippi, was shot by police for throwing bottles at them. He was otherwise unarmed. You probably didn't see that one on social media - I wonder why so few people heard about it?
Get your facts right. He was black. Look at the video footage.

In fact, there were more unarmed white and Hispanic men shot and killed by police in the US last year than black men (24 black, 36 white or Hispanic), according to the Washington Post. Didn't hear much about them on the news, did we?
Don’t just pluck numbers out your ass and expect me just to accept them. Name them.

Give me examples. Now bear in mind that USA is 73% white (approx.) Show me videos of white men being shot by police while being restrained by two officers on top of him? You will struggle with that because the police do not go into situations with whites with the expectation of having to use deadly force like they do when confronting black people.

Show me videos of 12 year old white kids getting blasted. There was no justifiable reason for the use of a gun on that man in the position he was in. Face down, hands bound behind his back and shot, this is murder 2 at a minimum for the trigger man. Not to mention all the other charges that can and should be throw at both officers. .

If whites are getting gunned down in cold blood as often as black people then white people need to be just as vociferous as Blacks in pointing out how unarmed Whites who are killed by the police.

What is the point of trying to stop Black people from complaining about fellow Blacks who are killed police abuse ? If all people are really suffering from police brutality equally, then wouldn’t you think that Whites should be complaining about the police, rather than complaining about Blacks calling out the police ?

Whites should be out there protesting on the same scale that Blacks do. But why don’t they ?

I’ll tell you. Because they take it for granted that the police will not target them because of their race.

But yeah I’m sure you’ll be able to google some examples of whites brutalized by police but only Blacks seem to be making an effort to change that. But white people will support harsher government policies if they’ll hurt blacks even if they could potentially be used against whites too.

It’s an example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. I think those in power know that if they want white support for certain measures they can use the black bogeyman to get them to agree.

AndAlton Sterling wasn't even unarmed!
He had a legal gun permit (Which is not an easy think for a black person to do because of the gun shop owners have the same racist stereotypes as you and often don’t sell or come up with reasons not sell to black people)

A weapon in his pocket is a weapon that isn't being used to threaten. Besides, it's an open carry state so people can walk around with weapons all they like as long as they don't use them to scare or threaten people. Second amendment and all.

Thecameras were on (they did not turn them off - where did you hear that?) butfailed to acquire useful footage as they were knocked off in the struggle.
Not only did they (conveniently) not have their body cams on. They also immediately confiscated the surveillance video from the foodmart. The owner/employee of the food mart filmed it on his phone. I guess they did not know to confiscate that.

We know the police will confiscate any video evidence when they can, and then claim that the videos are corrupted or not legible.

We are lucky that the bystanders filmed this. I thank them for for their service in protectingthe truth

Thelocal police department actually turned the case over to the feds and theJustice Department very promptly. Furthermore, the officers, if intending to dono good, made an odd choice to engage Sterling with onlookers watching andfilming right by them. Doesn't look like a very good conspiracy, does it?
Until I see all the law enforcement associations doing press conferences, denouncing the killings, and actively doing something to stop it, they are all complicit to the behaviour

Fascist cops have had their working orders to kill black people for too long. It is time to send them toprison. For murder. They are not above the law. The good group who have filmed this latest horror by supposed police. I thank them for doing so.

Also who is making these “come kill a Blackman/child” calls?

Somebody called police to come to a park where there was no crime being committed to kill Tamir Rice.

Somebody called police to come to a parking lot where there was no crime being committed to kill Alton Sterling.

Somebody seems to always remain nameless. Somebody calls police. They show up and kill a Black man. Who’s been calling ?

Not being so quick to become carried away with race rhetoric and taking a more reserved stance on limited information means the very opposite of jumping the gun. Jumping the gun is precisely what you are doing, sir.
White men are just as “emotional” and imprisoned by their skin and driven by self-interest in their thinking as everyone else.

But unlike everyone else white people have the power to have it presented as neutral and objective, to have it stand as the centre point of all thought and opinion, to have it taken seriously no matter how brainless it is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
Well **** then.

So this guy was a sex attacker, owned illegal firearms, refused to cooperated with police on arrival after being reported for waving a gun, resisted arrest and still resisted after being tased.

He was shot after moving his hand to possibly grab a gun (cops cocked up here, they could have just overpowered him).

Really I think BLM should find a better example to further their goal, because this guy seems like a complete waste of space and should have still been locked up anyway.
Original post by PrincePaul3015
Get your facts right. He was black. Look at the video footage.

Don’t just pluck numbers out your ass and expect me just to accept them. Name them.

Give me examples. Now bear in mind that USA is 73% white (approx.) Show me videos of white men being shot by police while being restrained by two officers on top of him? You will struggle with that because the police do not go into situations with whites with the expectation of having to use deadly force like they do when confronting black people.

Show me videos of 12 year old white kids getting blasted. There was no justifiable reason for the use of a gun on that man in the position he was in. Face down, hands bound behind his back and shot, this is murder 2 at a minimum for the trigger man. Not to mention all the other charges that can and should be throw at both officers. .

If whites are getting gunned down in cold blood as often as black people then white people need to be just as vociferous as Blacks in pointing out how unarmed Whites who are killed by the police.

What is the point of trying to stop Black people from complaining about fellow Blacks who are killed police abuse ? If all people are really suffering from police brutality equally, then wouldn’t you think that Whites should be complaining about the police, rather than complaining about Blacks calling out the police ?

Whites should be out there protesting on the same scale that Blacks do. But why don’t they ?

I’ll tell you. Because they take it for granted that the police will not target them because of their race.

But yeah I’m sure you’ll be able to google some examples of whites brutalized by police but only Blacks seem to be making an effort to change that. But white people will support harsher government policies if they’ll hurt blacks even if they could potentially be used against whites too.

It’s an example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. I think those in power know that if they want white support for certain measures they can use the black bogeyman to get them to agree.

He had a legal gun permit (Which is not an easy think for a black person to do because of the gun shop owners have the same racist stereotypes as you and often don’t sell or come up with reasons not sell to black people)

A weapon in his pocket is a weapon that isn't being used to threaten. Besides, it's an open carry state so people can walk around with weapons all they like as long as they don't use them to scare or threaten people. Second amendment and all.

Not only did they (conveniently) not have their body cams on. They also immediately confiscated the surveillance video from the foodmart. The owner/employee of the food mart filmed it on his phone. I guess they did not know to confiscate that.

We know the police will confiscate any video evidence when they can, and then claim that the videos are corrupted or not legible.

We are lucky that the bystanders filmed this. I thank them for for their service in protectingthe truth

Until I see all the law enforcement associations doing press conferences, denouncing the killings, and actively doing something to stop it, they are all complicit to the behaviour

Fascist cops have had their working orders to kill black people for too long. It is time to send them toprison. For murder. They are not above the law. The good group who have filmed this latest horror by supposed police. I thank them for doing so.

Also who is making these “come kill a Blackman/child” calls?

Somebody called police to come to a park where there was no crime being committed to kill Tamir Rice.

Somebody called police to come to a parking lot where there was no crime being committed to kill Alton Sterling.

Somebody seems to always remain nameless. Somebody calls police. They show up and kill a Black man. Who’s been calling ?

White men are just as “emotional” and imprisoned by their skin and driven by self-interest in their thinking as everyone else.

But unlike everyone else white people have the power to have it presented as neutral and objective, to have it stand as the centre point of all thought and opinion, to have it taken seriously no matter how brainless it is.

I heard somewhere the bottle guy was white. My mistake - didn't see the vid.

Regardless, concerning the figures of people shot, I'm not pulling them out of my ass. Look them up. The number of unarmed white people killed by police is higher than the number of black people. For instance, The Guardian lists 79 cases of unarmed blacks killed (40 by gunshot) and 103 unarmed whites killed (47 by gunshot) in 2015 (229 deaths for all ethnicities). The Washington Post lists slightly lower numbers, but the proportions are similar.

But the black population is naturally going to experience a disproportionate amount of (potentially deadly) police encounters due to the disproprtionate crime rate and the greater concentration of blacks in high-crime areas. It's not all because of racist cops.

Asking me to research cases which are that specific (white people being pinned and shot) will take too much of my time. But feel free to look through all the individual cases of unarmed (or armed) white men being shot listed in the Guardian article’s list and check yourself. There have been white people shot while fleeing, not even resisting... take your pick.

Tamir Rice's shooting was tragic, but these incidents at the hands of police are very rare. Regardless, the vast, vast majority of black children are 'blasted' at the hands of black men, by the way, usually done in cold blood and not because they mistook a fake gun for a real one.

But on to Alton Sterlng again:

The 911 caller, a homeless man, apparently claimed in the call that Sterling had shown him the gun and told him to leave him alone after he asked for money. Source.

In all the news reports I’m reading, it says the police were wearing their body cameras. Cite the source that says they weren’t. According to all the reports I've read on the matter, they fell off or failed to get useful footage in the struggle. But again, turning it over to the FBI, knowingly shooting him in front of people… this does not smell like any sort of conspiracy to commit or cover up a murder. Plus the authorities usually take the CCTV footage when there's an investiagtion.

Now, he was pinned down, but again, we cannot see his hands or the lower half of his body in the videos. We don't know what's going on down there. The footage isn't clear enough to state that the officers definitely had his arms and hands bound before he was shot. It is quite possible he had a hand free and was grabbing the gun in his pocket, which the officers saw.

He did not have a permit for the gun, plus it was concealed on his person; not openly carried. He’d been arrested for illegal possession of a weapon in 2009 and was a convicted felon - he would not legally be allowed to carry one. But even if he was carrying it legally (which he wasn't), and even if he claimed to have a permit, that doesn't change any situation that may have occurred during the struggle on the ground.

The authorities won't denounce the killing without due process and before they find evidence of wrongdoing. The investigation is still ongoing.

The rest of what you're claiming is speculative and without evidence. You're assuming the officers were racist, you're assuming the 911 caller was racist (how do you even know that?), and repeating accusations that can't or haven't been proven. Just more rhetoric about racist cops, racist white people, me being racist… I don't see how I can have any sort of rational conversation with an individual as brazen with his prejudices and paranoia as you.
Original post by remiremi
So this guy was a sex attacker, owned illegal firearms, refused to cooperated with police on arrival after being reported for waving a gun, resisted arrest and still resisted after being tased.

He was shot after moving his hand to possibly grab a gun (cops cocked up here, they could have just overpowered him).

Really I think BLM should find a better example to further their goal, because this guy seems like a complete waste of space and should have still been locked up anyway.

Look up Tamir Rice. A 12 year old boy. Shot for playing with toys.
But why do they shoot at his head/chest, why not at his legs or arms or somewhere that wont kill him?

I dont know much about the law but how can police officers get away with putting someones life in danger or killing them..
Even if the guy was a waste of space they dont have any right to kill him? Lock him up or something, same punishment as everyone else would get..

The justice system is not the same for everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending