The Student Room Group

Why is the clearing list out now?

Im quite confused to why the clearing list is out now, I thought it'd come out near results day as then universities would know if students would have done well or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emilycunningham
Im quite confused to why the clearing list is out now, I thought it'd come out near results day as then universities would know if students would have done well or not?

Its a change starting from this year, so it is now available earlier. BTEC and IB students will now have their results and therefore either some places will have become available or universities didnt fill their places prior to clearing. More places should become available once universities have the SQA and then A level results.
Original post by claireestelle
Its a change starting from this year, so it is now available earlier. BTEC and IB students will now have their results and therefore either some places will have become available or universities didnt fill their places prior to clearing. More places should become available once universities have the SQA and then A level results.

So those courses on the list are defo in clearing, that wont change upon results day? Also I cant find the grades certain universities on that list want now- is that going to come near results day?

tanx
So those courses on the list are defo in clearing, that wont change upon results day? Also I cant find the grades certain universities on that list want now- is that going to come near results day?

tanx

It will get updated every so often in the run up to results day, some places could be filled before then and some more could become available before results day. If you can't find the grades on the clearing search i would suggest checking the universities websites or giving their admissions departments a call.
It will get updated every so often in the run up to results day, some places could be filled before then and some more could become available before results day. If you can't find the grades on the clearing search i would suggest checking the universities websites or giving their admissions departments a call.

Well the grades I found on the clearing website for a particular course im interested in are the same as the original ones, so does that mean clearing doesnt always mean lower grades?
Well the grades I found on the clearing website for a particular course im interested in are the same as the original ones, so does that mean clearing doesnt always mean lower grades?

These are mainly unfilled courses at the moment - grades don't always get lowered in clearing. Any changes would come only after A level results if a course has masses of places.
IB results day was yesterday
Reply 7
How do you access this years Clearing list?
i dunno what is a clearing list :dontknow:
Reply 9

hm this might be a stretch but can we assume that if we have an offer for a course that's on the list, we're likely to be accepted if we miss the offer by a grade or two?? since they have spare spaces??
Original post by goam
hm this might be a stretch but can we assume that if we have an offer for a course that's on the list, we're likely to be accepted if we miss the offer by a grade or two?? since they have spare spaces??

No you can't make that assumption, any offer misses are considered on a case to case basis, for example if your offer was AAA but you get ABB, if the university is confident that they will get "better" applicants with grades AAB in clearing then they might decide to reject you. If that makes sense?
Reply 11
No you can't make that assumption, any offer misses are considered on a case to case basis, for example if your offer was AAA but you get ABB, if the university is confident that they will get "better" applicants with grades AAB in clearing then they might decide to reject you. If that makes sense?

ohh yeah that does make sense, ty :redface:

The grades on UCAS course search won't change. You need to look on university websites or call clearing phone lines when you have your grades to find out what they're looking for.

How could universities remove a course that is on clearing right now, because A- level students can't take up the places until results day.

Also, can IB students take up clearing spaces right now as they already have their results? I thought that would be unfair to A-level students as they still have to wait for results and the good clearing places may be taken up by then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
How could universities remove a course that is on clearing right now, because A- level students can't take up the places until results day.

Also, can IB students take up clearing spaces right now as they already have their results? I thought that would be unfair to A-level students as they still have to wait for results and the good clearing places may be taken up by then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People who already have qualifications can take up the places now, I m afraid that's the way the system works. There should be more courses on the list nearer to results day so some people with other qualifications might wait to see if something else appears.
IB ?
Where is the clearing list??
Reply 17
Original post by TrojanH
Where is the clearing list??

http://search.ucas.com/

Tick the 'Clearing 2016' box
Original post by goam
http://search.ucas.com/

Tick the 'Clearing 2016' box

Thank you, was on this before, but no indication of the lower clearing grades, and it seems like every single university is on here any way!

Can you check that G400 Newcastle Comp Sci shows up on your screen too? Does that mean that course is in clearing?
Reply 19
Original post by TrojanH
Thank you, was on this before, but no indication of the lower clearing grades, and it seems like every single university is on here any way!

Can you check that G400 Newcastle Comp Sci shows up on your screen too? Does that mean that course is in clearing?

Grades aren't necessarily lowered in clearing & yeahh it seems like all the courses are on there. I'm not the best person to ask tbh maybe @claireestelle can answer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending