The Student Room Group

Brexit: China wants UK trade deal ASAP, frustrated with EU's failure to conclude one

Scroll to see replies

The Chinese will probably take advantage of the fact we are by ourselves and negotiate themselves a deal heavily in their favour.
Reply 21
Original post by Kadak
The Chinese will probably take advantage of the fact we are by ourselves and negotiate themselves a deal heavily in their favour.

They also know we need a deal more than they do and will exploit that weakness.
Original post by Josb
A free trade deal with China would be a mistake. I think that such deals should only be made with countries on a similar level of development.

Great one, ignore MINT and BRIC countries at your peril
Yes and I'm sure that working at their usual pace, the new China/UK trade deal will be approved by the Chinese bureaucracy within 25 years at the absolute latest, unless there are problems.

That's provided we flog off all remaining state assets to them at knock-down prices and guarantee them an abnormally high profit on all transactions, as with their investment in the nuclear power programme.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes and I'm sure that working at their usual pace, the new China/UK trade deal will be approved by the Chinese bureaucracy within 25 years at the absolute latest, unless there are problems.

That's provided we flog off all remaining state assets to them at knock-down prices and guarantee them an abnormally high profit on all transactions, as with their investment in the nuclear power programme.

It is disappointing to see the reversion to Little Englander views from both Remainers and Leavers. Trade is good.. Trade is what has provided our prosperity for a thousand years.

The advantage the UK has in negotiating trade deals over the EU is they are simpler because we don't have to worry about the staple industries of 28 countries. We are not concerned about olive production or the spaghetti harvest :tongue:

The disadvantage we have is that we may not be big enough to get noticed in a clamour for trade deals. Where we are, we should be taking advantage of this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
It is disappointing to see the reversion to Little Englander views from both Remainers and Leavers. Trade is good.. Trade is what has provided our prosperity for a thousand years.

The advantage the UK has in negotiating trade deals over the EU is they are simpler because we don't have to worry about the staple industries of 28 countries. We are not concerned about olive production or the spaghetti harvest :tongue:

The disadvantage we have is that we may not be big enough to get noticed in a clamour for trade deals. Where we are, we should be taking advantage of this.

I'm no Little Englander. I'm also not arguing against trade. However, there's a big difference between fair trade and manipulative government to government deals cooked up to make Osborne and Cameron look good in photo opportunities whilst they pose in front of nuclear sites, with dodgy Chinese investment coming in at the long term expense of British bill payers. That's a disgraceful piece of desperate offshore loan finding at exorbitant rates to paper over the failure to plan properly for our electricity supplies because neoliberalism dictates this can only be done privately and it cannot, so the market must be rigged, with us paying the price.

No wonder the Chinese are enthusiastic!
There are advantages and disadvantages of having a trade deal with China.

A benefit is that there will be unrestricted trade with the second (if not the first) largest economy in the world. The amount of investments will be beneficial to the UK economy.

A disadvantage is the apparent lack of economic restrictions in China. For example, the Steel industry, where UK steel workers are suffereing because of very low prices due to Chinese dumping of steel (i.e. selling steel less than the beneficial selling price). If China then has an unrestricted access to the UK markets, then more of these problems may hit the UK economy.

I feel that as China grows, the quality of its goods and services will improve. So, one should not be worried about the quality of their products. Besides, many "high tech" Western products are made or assembled in China.

At this point, the UK must proceed cautiously because a wrong move (either way) may disadvantage UK businesses in the future.
I'm no Little Englander. I'm also not arguing against trade. However, there's a big difference between fair trade and manipulative government to government deals cooked up to make Osborne and Cameron look good in photo opportunities whilst they pose in front of nuclear sites, with dodgy Chinese investment coming in at the long term expense of British bill payers. That's a disgraceful piece of desperate offshore loan finding at exorbitant rates to paper over the failure to plan properly for our electricity supplies because neoliberalism dictates this can only be done privately and it cannot, so the market must be rigged, with us paying the price.

No wonder the Chinese are enthusiastic!

That is the reason why in the next election, you should vote for Jeremy Corbyn. If you want a Government that truly cares about you and your welfare, then Corbyn will be your best bet.
Good good.

Many of you writing have never been to china..

Come here, and you will be dying for a trade deal.

China is huge, and rich, and whilst many posters are focusing on chinese imports into the UK, you are ignoring the main benifit of this: Easy english exports to china.

Right now, If I leave my flat in china and go to the super-market, I can walk in the 'foreign exprort' Isle, and what do I see? Mostly japanese, and korean food.. no american, and no real EU food. A LOT of swiss food, and swis products.

There are swiss shops, swiss companies everywhere.. why? because they had a trade deal with china before the EU.

China is a consuming monster, with millions of people every year climbing the social ladder, and wanting desperately to spend their money.. the best thing? they prize foreign goods over local goods, by a long way. Anything European is put on a pedestal above its asian counterparts.

All english business should be looking at a new deal with china, and thinking how can they get into this huge and fast-growing market..
Original post by Wired_1800
That is the reason why in the next election, you should vote for Jeremy Corbyn. If you want a Government that truly cares about you and your welfare, then Corbyn will be your best bet.

Unfortunately, half the reason the Tories are getting away with murder like this, even though they only have a small majority, is the lack of leadership on the opposition side, plus the foolishness of the Scottish voters putting a party into Parliament who have no idea and won't coordinate opposition.

I'm afraid I now think that Corbyn should go as soon as possible, he's no leader.
Also.. you need to very quickly forget the idea of 'cheap chinese goods'..

It is a problem, and it has been a huge problem in the past, but big chinese companies are improving in quality every year. Huge electronic companies such as huawei are growing fast.. and they are pushing out in every sector.

Normally they start as knock-offs of western products.. but over here you can see that china is getting to a turning point where they are starting to resist copying, and starting to develop new ideas..

The old adage was always 'China can build, but it cant design'.. this was going to keep the west safe. With growing education though, this is changing.. and its only going to keep on going.

---

The only way forward for countries like england is to work together mutually, instead of viewing china as just the worlds factory.
Unfortunately, half the reason the Tories are getting away with murder like this, even though they only have a small majority, is the lack of leadership on the opposition side, plus the foolishness of the Scottish voters putting a party into Parliament who have no idea and won't coordinate opposition.

I'm afraid I now think that Corbyn should go as soon as possible, he's no leader.

Okay, can you clearly explain to me why you think that Jeremy Corbyn is not fit to be a leader? Please don't repeat the rubbish that is on the mainstream media to discredit him.

Also, please advise us, who should be the new Leader?
Reply 32
Original post by generallee
That is absolutely right.

And why the bitter Remainers are so dangerous and divisive. It is almost as though they WANT the country to fail so they can be proved right.

We are where we are. We need to pull together as a nation, unite and make Brexit work.

If we don't it won't be Brexit that screwed Britain but the failure of Remainers to accept their defeat and work in the interests of the country.

As you say, very important stuff and my patience with the Remain whiners and their media friends is starting to wear very thin indeed...

Getting excuses in early :rolleyes:

And make up your mind.
Original post by Wired_1800
Okay, can you clearly explain to me why you think that Jeremy Corbyn is not fit to be a leader? Please don't repeat the rubbish that is on the mainstream media to discredit him.

Also, please advise us, who should be the new Leader?

I wanted Hilary Benn, but alas, he chickened out.

Tbh, I think the referendum shows clearly why Corbyn isn't up to it - he's a Leaver, he's always been a Leaver and he still is a Leaver. Why the hell didn't he say so then? If he had an ounce of real guts he would have done. Instead, we were treated to the farce that he was supposedly for Remain, but utter silence from him at nearly every important stage. He's popped up after the result for example to show his opposition to racism and immigrant-bashing, but not to my knowledge during it. He makes tweets and says the odd thing, but generally he hates appearing in the media, he dislikes interviews and he won't participate in most things he is invited to. Do you not think that as a minimum he should (a) be honest about his views and (b) as a basic for a modern leader, engage with the media?

I'm sure he's a decent guy (although it's clear that at times he is still engaged in SWP-style Trot organising and the sneaky internal manipulations that go with that) but he isn't the leader of a national party of opposition, he's a factionalist and he represents a small element, albeit, a well organised one via social media and the disastrous 'instant voting membership for £3' policy sufficient to get him in against the lacklustre people who stood against him.

However, I agree that Labour generally is in disarray and suffering from a chronic lack of leadership across the board, as we saw with Benn and Umunna. The after-effects of cynicism around Blair are also keeping supporters away and potential leaders below the parapet.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Good good.

Many of you writing have never been to china..

Come here, and you will be dying for a trade deal.

China is huge, and rich, and whilst many posters are focusing on chinese imports into the UK, you are ignoring the main benifit of this: Easy english exports to china.

Right now, If I leave my flat in china and go to the super-market, I can walk in the 'foreign exprort' Isle, and what do I see? Mostly japanese, and korean food.. no american, and no real EU food. A LOT of swiss food, and swis products.

There are swiss shops, swiss companies everywhere.. why? because they had a trade deal with china before the EU.

China is a consuming monster, with millions of people every year climbing the social ladder, and wanting desperately to spend their money.. the best thing? they prize foreign goods over local goods, by a long way. Anything European is put on a pedestal above its asian counterparts.

All english business should be looking at a new deal with china, and thinking how can they get into this huge and fast-growing market..

I agree profoundly^^, currently studying in Beijing and believe me the Chinese have modernised greatly, this is a huge opportunity don't let pessimism undermine it
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Great one, ignore MINT and BRIC countries at your peril

Agree, it's the future.
Original post by TaintedLight
I can tell you've never visited Switzerland

On the contrary I have been many times. An aunt and uncle went to live on Lake Geneva and I must have visited at least a dozen times over the years.

Not sure how extensive their manufacturing base is though. They make high end watches, and Swatch is a mass market company. But even the best Ski equipment tends to be French or Austrian or German. They make their own cable cars I guess?

It is a pretty small (if very successful) economy in global terms.
I wanted Hilary Benn, but alas, he chickened out.

Tbh, I think the referendum shows clearly why Corbyn isn't up to it - he's a Leaver, he's always been a Leaver and he still is a Leaver. Why the hell didn't he say so then? If he had an ounce of real guts he would have done. Instead, we were treated to the farce that he was supposedly for Remain, but utter silence from him at nearly every important stage. He's popped up after the result for example to show his opposition to racism and immigrant-bashing, but not to my knowledge during it. He makes tweets and says the odd thing, but generally he hates appearing in the media, he dislikes interviews and he won't participate in most things he is invited to. Do you not think that as a minimum he should (a) be honest about his views and (b) as a basic for a modern leader, engage with the media?

I'm sure he's a decent guy (although it's clear that at times he is still engaged in SWP-style Trot organising and the sneaky internal manipulations that go with that) but he isn't the leader of a national party of opposition, he's a factionalist and he represents a small element, albeit, a well organised one via social media and the disastrous 'instant voting membership for £3' policy sufficient to get him in against the lacklustre people who stood against him.

However, I agree that Labour generally is in disarray and suffering from a chronic lack of leadership across the board, as we saw with Benn and Umunna. The after-effects of cynicism around Blair are also keeping supporters away and potential leaders below the parapet.

Fair enough, but I disagree.

Corbyn has been setup since he was elected Leader. When he gave Labour MPs the free vote for Syria invasion, people said that he was too weak to whip the vote.

Yes, he is a Leaver, but if he had maintained his stance as a Leaver, then people will accuse him of not influencing his Party, where most MPs were remainers. He was already doomed to fail regardless of his position. He would fail, if he chose to Leave and now that he chose to Remain, people are still labelling him a hypocrite.

It just shows the viciousness and selfishness of Labour politicians. Since the EU referendum, 100,000 people have joined the Labour Party. There are claims the new joiners want to support Corbyn. Many Labour politicians are self-serving and have retreated since the mass number of Labour supporters support Corbyn, so they are scared to pose a challenge and face political suicide.

Being a Leader is not about appearing in the media. Being a Leader is about running the country. The media is bashing Corbyn because he does not fit into the stereotype of a lousy moronic new-age politician, who does not know what they are doing. Corbyn is old Labour and it scares people.

My guess is that Labour is poised to win massive victory in 2020, but some politicians want to take the opportunity to get themselves in the position for the windfall after the Tories wreck the UK-EU negotiations.

I don’t want to highjack this thread (sorry to the OP), but we need to give Corbyn a chance to Lead the party rather than having to fight mutiny every few months.

You are right that Labour is imploding and letting the country down by not holding the Tories properly to account. But still in denial about the reasons for the Party's weakness.

It is the Labour party. The parliamentary wing of organised labour. Of the working class. Yet it has demonstrated that it despises the views of its own so called core support. the white working class, on immigration. It advises its canvassers to change the subject when it comes up on the door step because its policy (uncontrolled immigration ) is so viscerally unpopular with its own former, and putative, voters.

http://www.fabians.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/RevoltOnTheLeft-Final4.pdf

Look at all the towns that swung it for Brexit, Sunderland, Hartlepool, Dudley, Sheffield, Hull, the Welsh valleys, the list goes on and on and on. These should be Labour heartlands.

If Labour doesn't do a complete volte face on immigration policy, and stop calling anyone who has concerns about it "racist" it could collapse to a rump party of 1931 proportions at the next election.

This moment is an existential threat to the party. It could well be finished as a party of government. Forever.

Are you telling me that you have only just realised this? Seriously?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maker

Given the UK's weaker position outside the EU, I expect China to be even more astute in stretching the rules of any trade deals we will have with them.

That's the bulldog spirit. :rolleyes:

When I read some posters on this website it feels like the working class (who swung it for Brexit against the wishes of their "betters" ) is the only demographic left in this country which still has a bit of backbone.

Enough of the problem stating, already. This deal is a fantastic opportunity for our nation. Remoaners like you need to stop talking the country down, saying we are not capable of organising trade agreements without the failed eurocracy, and embrace the opportunity to become the Singapore of Europe.

Do you want us to fail? So it proves you were right all along? Is that it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending