The Student Room Group

St. Peter's vs. St. Hugh's

Hi,

I am an international student. I am going to apply to Oxford for Biological Sciences. I have not decided to which college I am going to apply. Consequently, I made this thread where you would help me to make my decision. I would like to discus pros and cons...( distance from the center, accommodation, distance from the biology department etc.)
What would you decide?
Original post by BioOx
Hi,

I am an international student. I am going to apply to Oxford for Biological Sciences. I have not decided to which college I am going to apply. Consequently, I made this thread where you would help me to make my decision. I would like to discus pros and cons...( distance from the center, accommodation, distance from the biology department etc.)
What would you decide?

Have you visited them? St. Peter's, from what I remember, is very compact and small whereas St. Hugh's has huge grounds. If Biology is where I think it is, they're both roughly the same distance away, probably around 20 minutes walk, so neither of them are particularly close. St. Peter's is quite central whereas St. Hugh's is relatively far out of town (far by Oxford standards, it's around 15-20 minutes walk from the city centre) and I think the Biology buildings are in the science area in the East. St. Hugh's offers accommodation for all years of the course whereas I think you have to live out for part of your course if you're at St. Peter's.
Reply 2
I really can not decide. I've already looked at the pros and cons on a page here at TSR.
Is it true that St. Peter's is more academically focused?
Reply 3
Original post by BioOx
I really can not decide. I've already looked at the pros and cons on a page here at TSR.
Is it true that St. Peter's is more academically focused?

In terms of "academically focused": some colleges have different rules on what happens if you fail your collections (mock exams sat at the start of each term), and I know the Hugh's policy is that you aren't made to redo them. Mostly though it's largely dependent on individual tutors, since they're the ones that set your work.

I would say a big point between the two of them is that St Hugh's guarantees you accommodation for all years of your course, while St Peter's expects you to live out in second year. St Hugh's also has kitchen access in all accommodation if that's something you care about.

Have you looked at the college pages on the TSR wiki, since they have a lot of information (although I would say that both the pros and cons page and college pages are occasionally slightly out of date - i.e. the St Hugh's page is incorrect about where fresher's live, and I'm pretty sure we no longer have on site netball/tennis/basketball courts since they built Dickson Poon on them two years ago). St Peter's here, St Hugh's here. (the map on the St Hugh's page is also an old one, missing Dickson Poon building)
Reply 4
I think one of the main things that will impact on your experience is how close to the centre you live - St Peter's is a maximum of 5 mins walk away from the major libraries, shops, bars, clubs, whilst St Hugh's is one of the least central colleges and is about a 20 minute walk (although most likely you will cycle). In terms of academically focused - completely dependent on the tutor. It's Oxford so everywhere is academically focused, and it's largely down to how much work you put in. I have not heard the rumour that St Peter's is one of the more academically focussed colleges though. pros of moving out of college in 2nd year (like St Peter's): get to live with your friends, escape the 'bubble', get to cook for yourself, get to escape work environment.pros of living in college all 3 years (like st Hugh's): Probably cheaper, close to work environment so tutorials/classes are easier to get to, don't have to worry about cleaning or paying for heating bills, in a caring environment with welfare/college nurses etc.It really doesnt matter...Everyone ends up loving what college they go to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending