The Student Room Group

Not bothered with humanities subjeccts and would prefer stem courses

I am aged 28 and not getting any younger, I left school with A levels in business

I only have a GCSE grade C in mathematics and need a Grade B in GCSE mathematics to do the courses that I want to do such as A level maths or accounting or electronic engineering.

I could go and do a course in humanities but the same as when I left school, I don't want to bother with these courses as I don't see any jobs I want to do with a humanities degree and could still have the same job options as I have now.

In order to study I would need to get a job and save. I did do a part-time ou course but need to save to pay for more modules due to funding requirements and I don't like messing about with funding and loans for the OU.
Original post by tut123
x

Heyy, how are you doing? :smile:

I don't quite understand what you're getting at here :redface: are you asking if you should opt for maths or humanities? If so, I'd definitely suggest going for maths because that's what you're obviously more interested in and have a passion for, as opposed to humanities which you may feel the need to force yourself into instead of enjoying it. You'll need to put in a lot of work with your job, saving up money and whatnot. I'm sure you will do well with that:yep:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Matrix123
Heyy, how are you doing? :smile:

I don't quite understand what you're getting at here :redface: are you asking if you should opt for maths or humanities? If so, I'd definitely suggest going for maths because that's what you're obviously more interested in and have a passion for, as opposed to humanities which you may feel the need to force yourself into instead of enjoying it. You'll need to put in a lot of work with your job, saving up money and whatnot. I'm sure you will do well with that:yep:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I just learned from another threat that I can self teach myself maths and pay from private entry onto the exams that will save myself a lot of money.

I think I will look into teaching myself the mathematics option. Thanks for your reply.
Original post by tut123
Yeah, I just learned from another threat that I can self teach myself maths and pay from private entry onto the exams that will save myself a lot of money.

I think I will look into teaching myself the mathematics option. Thanks for your reply.

Oh OK. That sounds like a great option, good luck with that! No worries :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Matrix123
Oh OK. That sounds like a great option, good luck with that! No worries :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, if I done managed to that then it would just be a matter of getting an employer reference and getting the uni's to allow me on.

All I would to do apparently is buy some text books off the internet, use website, cds and any resources I can to teach myself, then pay the private exam fees at a centre of my choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tut123

Yeah, if I done managed to that then it would just be a matter of getting an employer reference and getting the uni's to allow me on.

Indeed, I'm sure everything will fall into place:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tut123

All I would to do apparently is buy some text books off the internet, use website, cds and any resources I can to teach myself, then pay the private exam fees at a centre of my choice.

Honestly you need only like 1 textbook for maths, not even 2 lol. The subject is all about practice and perfecting your approaches to various problems so multiple textbooks aren't worth the investment. Just look on the internet for various questions on GCSE and you'll be good to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending