The Student Room Group

[PETITION] Make Eid a National Holiday

Scroll to see replies

Can we make Kwanzaa a national holiday too?*
Original post by Craig1998
Since when was Christianity British anyway.

Jesus was British. *Duh.
Not signing. Muslims can take the day off if they want but there's no reason it should be made a national holiday when this country doesn't have an Islamic heritage.
I would l like more national holidays. We had many in Trinidad. I miss my long weekends. Prefer them to half terms tbh.

Original post by thunder_chunky
Can we make Kwanzaa a national holiday too?*

My African name is to do with Kwanzaa actually :smile:.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Not signing. Muslims can take the day off if they want but there's no reason it should be made a national holiday when this country doesn't have an Islamic heritage.
This .
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
* *My African name is to do with Kwanzaa actually :smile:.

kingkiller?*
No. Nothing should be done to normalise Islam in this country.

If anything we should be changing the religious holiday to secular ones but as they part of the history of the country I understand why it is the way it is.
Original post by thunder_chunky
This.

Things change and we are a secular nation.

kingkiller?*

Lol, you know the one.
If you get this as a national holiday, what's stopping every other religion from getting theirs?

If it carries on eventually every day will be a national holiday and nobody will need to work.
Original post by NickLCFC
That wouldn't really make much sense considering how small the Chinese population is. Muslims on the other hand are 5% of the total population.
Christian country founded on Christian law. If Muslims want Muslim holidays and Muslim-compatible laws, maybe they would be better served by living in a Muslim country?
Why would you sign this if you're non-Muslim??? Christmas is a traditional celebration due to Britain's Christian's roots (even though we're more of secular nation now) . Eid isn't so should not be a national holiday. Tbh I'm not even sure what Eid is.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Why would you sign this if you're non-Muslim??? Christmas is a traditional celebration due to Britain's Christian's roots (even though we're more of secular nation now) . Eid isn't so should not be a national holiday. Tbh I'm not even sure what Eid is.

Google 'Eid'

and if you have a strong constitution add the word 'slaughter'

this alone should be reason to not accept this as a 'holiday' in the UK
Original post by AccountingBabe
So Muslims should get extra days off??? No way... Never happening. They can quit their jobs if they want days off.

Using that logic they shouldn't be allowed Christmas or Easter off as holidays.
They should get the day off without having to use up their annual leave. Its their religious festival why should they have to go to work on that day. My uncles always have to go to work on Eid and its not fair
Reply 93
No, this is utterly pointless. Only 4.5% of the UK's population is muslim. Are you saying that everyone has to observe this holiday which so few people believe in?
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Eid isn't so should not be a national holiday. Tbh I'm not even sure what Eid is.

Lolled.
Original post by Mathemagicien
The proportion of the population which is muslim is rapidly rising. IIRC, over 10% of births are muslim, and Muhammed is the most popular baby name. They are a significant enough proportion of the population that we have to make some concessions, at the very least, otherwise we will just foster tensions like we are seeing in the US, France, Belgium, and other countries

We don't have to.
So instead of Christmas lights would we get the below on the streets instead?

I must warn you do not open the spoiler if you are upset by animal cruelty (but if you are you SHOULD open this to know what happens)

Spoiler

Reply 97
To be honest, muslims just really need to abandon their backward, intolerant and hate-provoking religion when they settle here.
Reply 98
Original post by NickLCFC
Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/150516

bro us muslims can't even decide what day Eid will be never mind making into a national holiday it's never on the same day so they won't go ahead with this...
Original post by Jerry
bro us muslims can't even decide what day Eid will be never mind making into a national holiday it's never on the same day so they won't go ahead with this...

And even if it was on the same day, it's an idiotic idea anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest