The Student Room Group

Dallas protest shooting: 11 police officers shot, 4 killed by snipers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
Why do you put * at the end of your posts lol

I don't, *TSR is doing it for some reason.*
Original post by Truths
Except you need a permit to own a gun in the UK. And it's not acquired easily at all. Nice try.

You also need a permit in the US if you're buying legally - yes background checks are lenient but licensed dealers don't just go handing out guns to everyone.
People can't even say this has nothing to do with Black Lives Matter. At multiple demonstrations they can be seen advocating violence towards police in the form of chants, protest signs, etc. With the media sensationalising and focusing soley on black deaths at the hands of US police, something like this was bound to happen eventually.
Original post by NickLCFC
People can't even say this has nothing to do with Black Lives Matter. At multiple demonstrations they can be seen advocating violence towards police in the form of chants, protest signs, etc. With the media sensationalising and focusing soley on black deaths at the hands of US police, something like this was bound to happen eventually.

It's not exactly tough to sensationalise someone getting murdered by a cop for reaching for their license after being pulled over for a broken back light.
If you genuinely think there isn't a problem here you need to have a word with yourself tbh.
I don't condone the killing of anyone, but the american police have bought this upon themselves.
The left wingers must be celebrating as this is what they support
Original post by leinad2012
It's not exactly tough to sensationalise someone getting murdered by a cop for reaching for their license after being pulled over for a broken back light.
If you genuinely think there isn't a problem here you need to have a word with yourself tbh.

From the statistics and evidence I have seen, I think there a problem with police brutality and police shootings in general. Not just police brutality against black people specifically.
Original post by Castro Saint
I don't condone the killing of anyone, but the american police have bought this upon themselves.

50% of crime and especially homicides in America is committed by black individuals while 13% of America is black African American, yet they don't bring it on themselves.

Cops kill fraction of percentage of population (over half were violent towards police, 80% armed), yet cops bring it on themselves.

Great ******* logic you idiot.
From the statistics and evidence I have seen, I think there a problem with police brutality and police shootings in general. Not just police brutality against black people specifically.

When people see anything happening with blacks they assume they are equal to the whites, except they aren't. People look at the disproportionately high numbers of blacks and Hispanics who are incarcerated or arrested or shot by the police, but they conveniently ignore the disproportionately high number of murders, rapes, and actually most crimes, being committed by blacks, or that the majority of blacks are killed by blacks before crying about a white killing a black (whether police or civilian).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Despite the fact black men are 17x more likely to be shot dead by the police than white men?

Are you for real now?
Despite the fact black men are 17x more likely to be shot dead by the police than white men?

Are you for real now?

I'd like to know how you arrived at that number to be honest.
I'd like to know how you arrived at that number to be honest.

It was on the BBC news report yesterday evening.

I would assume they have taken the number of black men killed by police and divided it by the population of black men, and done the same for white men and would the proportion killed by police for each.

Are you for real now?

1467974291684.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Truths
Except you need a permit to own a gun in the UK. And it's not acquired easily at all. Nice try.

I think you will find most gun owners are for background checks and licenses.

Original post by Napp
1] You can own hunting rifles, theres a difference.
'

Except you don't know anything about firearms, but still you're trying to correct people who do.

Bolt-action (In your words "sniper" ) rifles are a complete non-issue. They have been fully legal in all calibers in the UK for the last 100+ years.
(edited 7 years ago)

New York, 5 years ago. Strong external validity fam...

Ever thought that the REASON black men are more often arrested for firearms arrests is BECASUE the police target high black population areas and discriminate with stop and searches?
It was on the BBC news report yesterday evening.

I would assume they have taken the number of black men killed by police and divided it by the population of black men, and done the same for white men and would the proportion killed by police for each.

Okay, let's take police shootings in 2015 as a basic sample.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

White Males killed - 468
Black Males killed - 248

Black people make ~13% of the US population so black men make up ~6.5%. White people make ~62% of the US population so white men make up ~31%.

If you adjust both figures so they make up 100% of the population, you get the following:

White Males killed (if they were 100% of the population) - 1510
Black Males killed (if they were 100% of the population) - 3800

This would make black males about 2.5x more likely to be killed. When you factor in things like crime rates among races, this higher rate is generally justified.
(edited 7 years ago)

Ever thought that the REASON black men are more often arrested for firearms arrests is BECASUE the police target high black population areas and discriminate with stop and searches?

Is it somehow a bad thing lots of black people are arrested for firearm offences?

I don't have figures at hand, but I bet proportionately more whites have legal CCW licenses than blacks.
Okay, let's take police shootings in 2015 as a basic sample.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

White Males killed - 468
Black Males killed - 248

Black people make ~13% of the US population so black men make up ~6.5%. White people make ~62% of the US population so white men make up ~31%.

If you adjust both figures so they make up 100% of the population, you get the following:

White Males killed (if they were 100% of the population) - 1510
Black Males killed (if they were 100% of the population) - 3800

This would make black males about 2.5x more likely to be killed.

Then I am not sure how they reached the 17 times figure. I would assume that it was for a subsection of males, say 16-25. The issue is both sides are distorting the figures it would appear. I'm very much undecided on this, as I can see your side of the argument, that in terms of overall crime rates it is not that bad, but I can also see the other side, that this man was killed for seemingly no reason.

People bringing in micro studies like the guy above just distort the issue more; choosing New York, where white poverty rates are low and black poverty rates are high, is obviously going to lead to unreliable data.

2 articles I've read that I've found interesting (1 from each side of the argument) and seem to illustrate how both sides of the argument distort the statistics.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/6/12105380/alton-sterling-police-shooting-baton-rouge-louisiana

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler
Original post by TelAviv
Is it somehow a bad thing lots of black people are arrested for firearm offences?

I don't have figures at hand, but I bet proportionately more whites have legal CCW licenses than blacks.

It's only a bad thing if police are purposefully targeting black males a disproportionate amount. This has been the case with the NY police in the past.
As I said in the post above, data on NY crime is unreliable when extrapolating the correlations between gun crime and race to the USA as a whole, due to huge confounders which distort the correlation (e.g. gun crime higher in poor areas, in NY black people are in a poverty at far higher rates than white people, even compared to national levels of poverty).
New York, 5 years ago. Strong external validity fam...

So you mean two thirds of people shooting at the police being black means nothing? Have you ever heard of statistics and allocation of resources? The statistics show the high risk areas and groups, the resources are allocated according to that.

1467975377182.jpg

How about disproportionately many black killing policemen according to FBI data?

1467975362243.jpg

Or maybe disproportionately many black murderers?

1467975514773.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest