The Student Room Group

[PETITION] Make Eid a National Holiday

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Its the price of multiculturalism

It isn't. It's not a requirement by any means.
Reply 101
Original post by fr0sr_
And even if it was on the same day, it's an idiotic idea anyway.

umm no it's not because many schools give muslim kids a day of for Eid which affects the teaching plan for the remaining students so it would be better if all the kids got at least a day off so it doesn't affect teaching etc. but anyways as i said Eid is never on the same day so we can't make it a holiday...
As someone in this thread has already pointed out, this is the so called 'price' of multiculturalism. If we want to be a multicultural and tolerant society, we need to commit to it much more! Having a national holiday for Eid is one of many ways in which this can be achieved :smile:
Original post by Jerry
umm no it's not because many schools give muslim kids a day of for Eid which affects the teaching plan for the remaining students so it would be better if all the kids got at least a day off so it doesn't affect teaching etc. but anyways as i said Eid is never on the same day so we can't make it a holiday...

Well yes it is.
Your poxy "hurr it'll affect a few kids lives as they'll miss a day at school" theory aside;

For one, Muslims take up circa. 5% of the population, nor is this a Muslim country and therefore it's entirely unrelated to the vast majority of the population. Thus meaning its completely unnecessary. We should not bend the knee nor give such a hateful, backwards religion any recognition.

/thread
Original post by NickLCFC
As someone in this thread has already pointed out, this is the so called 'price' of multiculturalism. If we want to be a multicultural and tolerant society, we need to commit to it much more! Having a national holiday for Eid is one of many ways in which this can be achieved :smile:

Expect we stopped with 'multiculturalism' a few years ago

Didn't you know this?
Original post by ali-g12
To be honest, muslims just really need to abandon their backward, intolerant and hate-provoking religion when they settle here.

Christians didn't when they settled here, so why should Muslims be expected to?
Out of interest, what day of Eid is this for since there are two?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mactotaur
Christians didn't when they settled here, so why should Muslims be expected to?

Because we should learn from our past not continue to make them.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Because we should learn from our past not continue to make them.

Personally I don't think religious holidays should be observed officially; over 50% of the country is now non-religious so it's not fair to them to give those who are religious (regardless of their particular faith) special preference.

Don't compare this to race, gender, or sexuality, in case you were thinking of doing so - you can choose your religion, unlike the three attributes I listed.
Original post by tamanna___
They should get the day off without having to use up their annual leave. Its their religious festival why should they have to go to work on that day. My uncles always have to go to work on Eid and its not fair

Absurd logic. I could then just become a pagan and take every single day of the week off as they're all named after either pagan gods or natural objects that they revered.
Reply 110
Signed - and now lets hope for the best :smile:
Personally I don't think religious holidays should be observed officially; over 50% of the country is now non-religious so it's not fair to them to give those who are religious (regardless of their particular faith) special preference.

Don't compare this to race, gender, or sexuality, in case you were thinking of doing so - you can choose your religion, unlike the three attributes I listed.

Completely agree

In a previous post I make the point that we should be making all holidays secular as this would resolve the issues we currently have

Making more religious holidays should be a NO-NO
Completely agree

In a previous post I make the point that we should be making all holidays secular as this would resolve the issues we currently have

Making more religious holidays should be a NO-NO

I'd consider keeping holidays like Christmas because at this point it's getting divorced from its religious origins (though it goes back a long, long way, predating Christianity in all but name) and is simply an excuse for family time. It's also widely celebrated.
I'd consider keeping holidays like Christmas because at this point it's getting divorced from its religious origins (though it goes back a long, long way, predating Christianity in all but name) and is simply an excuse for family time. It's also widely celebrated.

:smile: my original post was

No. Nothing should be done to normalise Islam in this country.

If anything we should be changing the religious holiday to secular ones but as they part of the history of the country I understand why it is the way it is.

It seems we are in agreement!

Yeah and Christmas has become more secular now. There's nothing in the Bible that mentions Christmas and it's celebration.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Yeah and Christmas has become more secular now. There's nothing in the Bible that mentions Christmas and it's celebration.

The day Christmas is celebrated roughly corresponds with the Solstice; it's believed that when missionaries came over, they placed Christmas on that date to convince the pagans to join them. It's a lot harder to convert someone if you tell them they can't have their festivals any more.
The day Christmas is celebrated roughly corresponds with the Solstice; it's believed that when missionaries came over, they placed Christmas on that date to convince the pagans to join them. It's a lot harder to convert someone if you tell them they can't have their festivals any more.

Oh thanks very interesting.So it has nothing to do with Jesus' birthday? Just a way of getting pagans to convert. How lovely.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Oh thanks very interesting.So it has nothing to do with Jesus' birthday? Just a way of getting pagans to convert. How lovely.

Jesus is believed by Christians to have probably not have been born in Winter, partly because the ground the sheep in the tales (where the shepherds were alerted) were meant to be eating would have been frozen.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Its inevitable that the host culture will be changed by the incoming cultures

Like a disease.

Original post by Ordo
Signed - and now lets hope for the best :smile:

The best would be this failing. *
It'd have to be for everyone then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending