The Student Room Group

RAF Medical(s)

Hello everyone,

Please could someone advise me on whether I will be required to complete 2 medicals as part of my RAF Pilot application?

I recently completed my CBAT and filter interview and have now got my independent Medical, but I have not been told or been able to find out if this medical is the only medical that I will have to undertake or whether i will also have to complete another at OASC.

Thanks In advance for the help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is a second medical on day 2 of OASC
Reply 2
And a further medical in the first week of IOT.
And then annual medicals thereafter :smile:
And 5-yearly medicals at Henlow.*:colondollar:
Great :smile: thanks for the help everyone
Original post by Schleigg
And 5-yearly medicals at Henlow.*:colondollar:

And ECGs with ever increasing frequency!*
Hello again,

So I was declared Fit on my Capita medical and i was wondering if anyone knows how long it usually takes for this to be processed by Capita/Cranwell so that I can get my OASC date. I have called my AFCO and they have been a bit 'wish washy' over how long and just told me that since I passed my medical, my application now belongs to Cranwell and not the AFCO. Also can anyone tell me whether i will now be required to complete a MS-FT as part of my fitness assessment or is it still a 2.4km run as this information is contradictory on the RAF website.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone :smile:

(also if anyone has any questions about the application process up to this point please feel free to ask and I will help in anyway I can)
Reply 8
Original post by HOPEFULPILOT
Also can anyone tell me whether i will now be required to complete a MS-FT as part of my fitness assessment or is it still a 2.4km run as this information is contradictory on the RAF website.

Doesn't really matter which test you do, they're both going to need you train and getting fit for one means you'd be fit for the other.
Original post by Drewski
Doesn't really matter which test you do, they're both going to need you train and getting fit for one means you'd be fit for the other.

I appreciate that they require the same level of aerobic fitness however the MS-FT will require a little bit more of the explosive strength due to the change of direction rather than the constant plodding along ( BTW i can reach the 2.4km run time) but i just want to know if i should incorporate some plyometrics and resistance running ( hill runs or parachute training) just so i can maximize my performance at OASC. More of a competitive thing i suppose.
I appreciate that they require the same level of aerobic fitness however the MS-FT will require a little bit more of the explosive strength due to the change of direction rather than the constant plodding along ( BTW i can reach the 2.4km run time) but i just want to know if i should incorporate some plyometrics and resistance running ( hill runs or parachute training) just so i can maximize my performance at OASC. More of a competitive thing i suppose.

Actually no, it doesn't. Or at least, it shouldn't. If you're running it like that you're not doing it efficiently and will tire sooner.

The best way of running the MSFT is the same as running the 2.4k - at a consistent pace (though, obviously speeding up at each level). Aim to get to the line as it beeps, running an almost small circle rather than stopping dead and starting again. Technically, you only need to put one foot over the line so if you're long limbed you can get away with running almost 2 metres less every lap (though some PTIs might pick you up on this).

And fwiw, just meeting the time, while something that will let you pass, isn't what you should be aiming for. The times are pretty generous, you can lower it by a minute at least.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Actually no, it doesn't. Or at least, it shouldn't. If you're running it like that you're not doing it efficiently and will tire sooner.

The best way of running the MSFT is the same as running the 2.4k - at a consistent pace. Aim to get to the line as it beeps, running an almost small circle rather than stopping dead and starting again. Technically, you only need to put one foot over the line so if you're long limbed you can get away with running almost 2 metres less every lap (though some PTIs might pick you up on this).

And fwiw, just meeting the time, while something that will let you pass, isn't what you should be aiming for. The times are pretty generous, you can lower it by a minute at least.

OK brilliant thanks for the advice, I know i should be beating the time/ level by a good margin, but i have a little bit of time i think to train to this standard and if it is the MSFT i assume this will be performed in groups and i always seem to perform better if i have a direct competition :smile:
I was told on my first application that as a pilot applicant, I need to surpass all the standards by a fair margin to have a good shot at the job - obviously there's a ridiculous amount of applicants and they'll only take the top few.

I was told to train for a sub 10 minute 2.4km, or get above 11.7 on the MSFT.

Also, this means that even on a rough day you can pass the baseline with ease.
Original post by jannisjr
I was told on my first application that as a pilot applicant, I need to surpass all the standards by a fair margin to have a good shot at the job - obviously there's a ridiculous amount of applicants and they'll only take the top few.

I was told to train for a sub 10 minute 2.4km, or get above 11.7 on the MSFT.

Also, this means that even on a rough day you can pass the baseline with ease.

Thank you, My AFCO hadn't said anything like that to me so that's good to know! how did you train for this did you just go for runs every day or did you incorporate things like Fartlek training or HIIT training ?
Thank you, My AFCO hadn't said anything like that to me so that's good to know! how did you train for this did you just go for runs every day or did you incorporate things like Fartlek training or HIIT training ?

It's one of those unwritten rules. The role is competitive, so 'just' passing often isn't enough - just as passing the aptitude test probably isn't enough, you need to be competitive and pass well. The RAF always used to say that for every 1 person who made it as a pilot they'd see 10,000 applicants. How do you make yourself stand out if not by passing everything very well?

You could be up against people who can do 2.4k in under 8 minutes, so scraping by in 10.29 won't look good in comparison. (Or get 12+ on the bleeps, etc).

In fitness terms I was extremely mediocre, but I still managed 9.15 for the 2.4k and 12.1 on the bleep test.

Yes, those sort of times are 'easier' when you have others to run with / against and to help your pacing, but you've still got to put the work in.

Running in any form will help, but personally I found HIIT to work quite well for increasing speed, but don't neglect doing long runs for endurance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
It's one of those unwritten rules. The role is competitive, so 'just' passing often isn't enough - just as passing the aptitude test probably isn't enough, you need to be competitive and pass well. The RAF always used to say that for every 1 person who made it as a pilot they'd see 10,000 applicants. How do you make yourself stand out if not by passing everything very well?

You'll be up against people who can do 2.4k in under 8 minutes, so scraping by in 10.29 won't look good in comparison.

In fitness terms I was extremely mediocre, but I still managed 9.15 for the 2.4k and 12.1 on the bleep test.

Yes, those sort of times are 'easier' when you have others to run with / against and to help your pacing, but you've still got to put the work in.

Running in any form will help, but personally I found HIIT to work quite well for increasing speed, but don't neglect doing long runs for endurance.

once again thank you, being able to get advice from people who are serving/former service men/women is invaluable and very useful! I am able to hit deep blue levels on the press ups and sit ups, but unfortunately I am lacking on the aerobic side of things due to a knee injury i suffered from rugby some months ago taking me off of sport. However its now time to put in the hard graft and get my aerobic fitness up to the required standard!
once again thank you, being able to get advice from people who are serving/former service men/women is invaluable and very useful! I am able to hit deep blue levels on the press ups and sit ups, but unfortunately I am lacking on the aerobic side of things due to a knee injury i suffered from rugby some months ago taking me off of sport. However its now time to put in the hard graft and get my aerobic fitness up to the required standard!

Don't kill yourself in the process. Use low impact sports to help get your strength back. I found cycling helped me hugely - at the time I was in training before joining I was cycling 17ish miles everyday for my commute. Some prefer swimming.
Original post by Drewski
Don't kill yourself in the process. Use low impact sports to help get your strength back. I found cycling helped me hugely - at the time I was in training before joining I was cycling 17ish miles everyday for my commute. Some prefer swimming.

will do! time to hunt out the old bicycle from the garage XD
The bleep test is available on the RAF website. Some practice with the timing will get you an extra level, and so will grippy trainers.

Source: 10 years of passing and failing fitness tests lead to me finally changing
, becoming fitter and taking qualifications in personal training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABM Hopeful
The bleep test is available on the RAF website. Some practice with the timing will get you an extra level, and so will grippy trainers.

Source: 10 years of passing and failing fitness tests lead to me finally changing
, becoming fitter and taking qualifications in personal training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok great :smile: thanks for the help

Also can you guys please confirm for me that the T6 texan is due to replace the Tucano during fats jet training? as i read this somewhere but cant find concrete evidence XD

Quick Reply

Latest