The Student Room Group

[PETITION] Make Eid a National Holiday

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mactotaur
The day Christmas is celebrated roughly corresponds with the Solstice; it's believed that when missionaries came over, they placed Christmas on that date to convince the pagans to join them. It's a lot harder to convert someone if you tell them they can't have their festivals any more.

This is the same for EID and most muslim festivals they are simply a continuation and bastardisation of pagan rituals that already existed at the time
Original post by BaconandSauce
This is the same for EID and most muslim festivals they are simply a continuation and bastardisation of pagan rituals that already existed at the time

And those rituals are adaptations of the ones before them, and so on, with all religions.
And those rituals are adaptations of the ones before them, and so on, with all religions.

This does seem to be the case for the majority of 'religious' festivals

But it does make sense as it is a continuation of the norm under a different name:biggrin:
Reply 123
Original post by thunder_chunky
Like a disease.
The best would be this failing. *

Calm down - no need to be rude to other people
Original post by Ordo
Calm down - no need to be rude to other people

That's not rude. *
Original post by Ordo
Signed - and now lets hope for the best :smile:
Typical moronic signee - entirely ignores the valid above points made and signs an idiotic petition anyway.
Reply 126
Original post by fr0sr_
Typical moronic signee - entirely ignores the valid above points made and signs an idiotic petition anyway.

So you calling me idiot and not other 48,000 signatures? :frown:
I have read other people's points and chose to signed it

Original post by thunder_chunky
That's not rude. *

I hope so :h:
Original post by Ordo
So you calling me idiot and not other 48,000 signatures? :frown:
I have read other people's points and chose to signed it

I hope so :h:

No, I'm calling all 48,000 signees idiotic, it's a stupid idea.
Reply 128
Original post by Kraixo
Why not.

Because Muslims make up less than 5% of the population which is not enough to warrant a national holiday

Because it will lead to a thousand other national holidays and soon we'll end up like Brazil where people holiday more than they work which would damage the economy

Because doing so will dilute the importance of our national holidays and national identity and encourage division, and we should instead encourage people to assimilate into our heritage by participating in our traditions in the interests of social cohesion

Because it is not appropriate in a country with thousands of years worth of Christian identity which is woven into its social, artistic and constitutional fabric to recognise on a national scale the traditions of a completely different culture with values and laws which are at odds with Britain's
Original post by Fenice
Because Muslims make up less than 5% of the population which is not enough to warrant a national holiday

Because it is not appropriate in a country with thousands of years worth of Christian identity which is woven into its social, artistic and constitutional fabric to recognise on a national scale the traditions of a completely different culture with values and laws which are at odds with Britain's

Pick one.

Half the country is non-religious. Why should Christianity get any preference?
Reply 130
Pick one.

Half the country is non-religious. Why should Christianity get any preference?

I have already explained this

Firstly because Christians make up 64% and Muslims make up 4.5% of the population

Secondly because Christianity has been the religion of these isles for about 1500 years and is intimately and exclusively woven into its political, social and cultural fabric. In the interests of social cohesion, only Christianity should be formally recognised in things like national holidays to encourage people to assimilate into our values and national identity. Recognising another would encourage divisions and would also open the gates for a thousand other national holidays which would damage our economy and create a number of different British peoples rather than one united group.

Good fences make good neighbours.
Original post by Fenice
I have already explained this

Firstly because Christians make up 64% and Muslims make up 4.5% of the population

Secondly because Christianity has been the religion of these isles for about 1500 years and is intimately and exclusively woven into its political, social, cultural and artistic fabric. In the interests of social cohesion, only Christianity should be formally recognised in things like national holidays to encourage people to assimilate into our values and national identity. Recognising another would encourage divisions and would also open the gates for a thousand other national holidays which would damage our economy and create a number of different British peoples rather than one united group.

Good fences make good neighbours.

Christians don't make up 64% of the population. If they did, 50% of the population couldn't be non-religious.

Oh yeah, this country is so Christian. We kill adulterers and homosexuals by the spades.
Reply 132
Christians don't make up 64% of the population. If they did, 50% of the population couldn't be non-religious.

Clearly your figures are not accurate. BBC News cites a Pew Research study which reports that 64% of the population are Christians as of 2010

Wikipedia cites the 2011 census which reports that 60% of the population are Christian

In any event Christians make up by far the largest religious grouping in the country, which is really the final point

Oh yeah, this country is so Christian. We kill adulterers and homosexuals by the spades.

You seem to be confusing Christianity with Judaism.
Original post by Fenice
Clearly your figures are not accurate. BBC News cites a Pew Research study which reports that 64% of the population are Christians as of 2010

Wikipedia cites the 2011 census which reports that 60% of the population are Christian

In any event Christians make up by far the largest religious grouping in the country, which is really the final point

You seem to be confusing Christianity with Judaism.

http://freethinker.co.uk/2016/05/27/christianitys-rapid-decline-makes-the-uk-better-most/comment-page-1/

Leviticus 20:10 for adultery:
'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death."

Leviticus 20:13 for homosexuality:
"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."
http://freethinker.co.uk/2016/05/27/christianitys-rapid-decline-makes-the-uk-better-most/comment-page-1/

'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death."

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

Yes modern Christians seem to follow those teaching a lot.
It is quite actively taught in christian schools and churches that this is a bad attitude to have.
Reply 135

Two things: firstly, you are taking the word of figures provided by a magazine which does not say where they are coming from over the National Census

Secondly, you will notice that in the unlikely event that these figures are reliable, 44% is about ten times as many as 4.5%

The clue with Christianity is in the name. Christ's teachings - which are all in the New, and not the Old Testament - are the essence of Christianity. That is why you can hear plenty of Muslim preachers in a single area of London baying for the blood of gays while there is not a single Anglican priest in the entire country who would join them:

John 8:7
So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Mathew 7:1
Judge not, that you be not judged.

It is also important to note that Britain has and has had for about 500 years its own brand of Christianity - as a result of the creation of the Church of England under Henry VIII. Christianity in this country has been for some time now about ceremony and ritual around earthly things like coronating a monarch or getting your baby baptised. This alone makes it more suited to national functions around which the entire population is invited to gather, in contrast to Islam which is riddled with convoluted and often utterly depraved dogmatic teachings which are still 'active' in the religion today.

'because it held unspilt
So long and equably what since is found
Only in separation - marriage, and birth,
And death, and thoughts of these - for which was built
This special shell? For, though I've no idea
What this accoutred frowsty barn is worth,
It pleases me to stand in silence here;

A serious house on serious earth it is,
In whose blent air all our compulsions meet,
Are recognized, and robed as destinies.
And that much never can be obsolete,
Since someone will forever be surprising
A hunger in himself to be more serious,
And gravitating with it to this ground,
Which, he once heard, was proper to grow wise in,
If only that so many dead lie round.'

From Church Going by Philip Larkin
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fenice
Two things: firstly, you are taking the word of figures provided by a magazine which does not say where they are coming from over the National Census

Secondly, you will notice that in the unlikely event that these figures are reliable, 44% is about ten times as many as 4.5%

The clue with Christianity is in the name. Christ's teachings - which are all in the New, and not the Old Testament - are the essence of Christianity. That is why you can hear plenty of Muslim preachers in a single area of London baying for the blood of gays while there is not a single Anglican priest in the entire country who would join them:

It is also important to note that Britain has and has had for about 500 years its own brand of Christianity - as a result of the creation of the Church of England under Henry VIII. Christianity in this country has been for some time now about ceremony and ritual around earthly things like coronating a monarch or getting your baby baptised. This alone makes it more suited to national functions around which the entire population is invited to gather, in contrast to Islam which is riddled with convoluted and often utterly depraved dogmatic teachings which are still 'active' in the religion today.

because it held unspilt
So long and equably what since is found
Only in separation - marriage, and birth,And death, and thoughts of these - for which was built
This special shell? For, though I've no idea
What this accoutred frowsty barn is worth,
It pleases me to stand in silence here;

A serious house on serious earth it is,
In whose blent air all our compulsions meet,
Are recognized, and robed as destinies.
And that much never can be obsolete,
Since someone will forever be surprising
A hunger in himself to be more serious,
And gravitating with it to this ground,
Which, he once heard, was proper to grow wise in,
If only that so many dead lie round.

From Church Going by Philip Larkin

However many Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, or any other follower of religion there are in this country, they still do not deserve special holidays. I could invent my own religion and it would have just as much proof behind it as any of those, but would I get time off for my special holidays? I don't think so.
Definitely not.

We need to work all the days we can to make our way in the world in the post Brexit Britain!
Reply 138
However many Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, or any other follower of religion there are in this country, they still do not deserve special holidays. I could invent my own religion and it would have just as much proof behind it as any of those, but would I get time off for my special holidays? I don't think so.

I would simply be repeating myself if I deigned to engage with this.
Original post by Fenice
I would simply be repeating myself if I deigned to engage with this.

Say I'm a follower of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Why shouldn't I get my holidays off?

Quick Reply

Latest