The Student Room Group

Brexit: China wants UK trade deal ASAP, frustrated with EU's failure to conclude one

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
You forgot to include your sure-fire quide on why you said this.

When we were members of the EU, we didn’t have to choose between trading with the EU and trading with emerging markets such as China. We could have done both. For example, UK exports of goods to China more than doubled between 2010 and 2015. We no longer have the leverage of being part of a 500-million-strong single market (rather we won't have after article 50 is triggered and if we choose to remain outside the single market), and the lifting of EU regulations on products imported into the UK is going to account for lower-quality products and exploitation.
I'm not surprised. Given how Cameron behaved like a trained seal to beg the Chinese for some investment, they likely see us as easy pickings. A trade agreement is the first step towards us becoming a client state.

To think how easily we brought China to its knees in the 19th century. It is shameful to see how low Britain has sunk.
Original post by Wired_1800
Corbyn has had a very tough 9 months. I agree, there are so many issues in the Party that need solving, but Corbyn is flushing them out. However, having to fight everyday to keep his job as Leader will not help matters.

Even a world-class teacher won't be very effective if she is faced with losing her job every single day, she goes to work.

Despite the apparent resentment towards Corbyn, he has won all by-elections under his leadership. This is the same man that people said will shed votes and lose elections.

Some by-elections were won. Excellent. Such a shame though that he didn't lift a finger during the campaign for the most crucial vote of the last 50 years. Something to do with him not believing in it, we understand. :rolleyes:
Original post by Quantex
I'm not surprised. Given how Cameron behaved like a trained seal to beg the Chinese for some investment, they likely see us as easy pickings. A trade agreement is the first step towards us becoming a client state.

To think how easily we brought China to its knees in the 19th century. It is shameful to see how low Britain has sunk.

Don't understate the case won't you ?
Original post by Quantex

We are not living in the nineteenth century, but the twenty first...

Since this is going to be the Chinese century, with that country eventually outstripping the US in economic and military terms we can either deal with that reality, and make a free trade deal with an economy that is growing at an extraordinary pace. Or stay in our tent, sulk and reminisce about the good old days of the Opium War.

The world doesn't owe us a living. Which do you think is the better, more pragmatic approach all in all?
Original post by tanyapotter
When we were members of the EU, we didn’t have to choose between trading with the EU and trading with emerging markets such as China. We could have done both.

And still can after Brexit.
Corbyn is flushing them out. H, he has won all by-elections under his leadership. This is the same man that people said will shed votes and lose elections.

(1) He isn't flushing them out. He has no control whatever. The issues are arising and he is dealing with them badly.

(2) What happens at safe Labour seats in neither here nor there. What matters is the result in marginal constituencies.
(1) He isn't flushing them out. He has no control whatever. The issues are arising and he is dealing with them badly.

(2) What happens at safe Labour seats in neither here nor there. What matters is the result in marginal constituencies.

Okay. Let us see how things progress with the Labour Party.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Some by-elections were won. Excellent. Such a shame though that he didn't lift a finger during the campaign for the most crucial vote of the last 50 years. Something to do with him not believing in it, we understand. :rolleyes:

He did not lift a finger because he did not believe in it. Why should he campaign against his own strong convictions? As a Leader, he appeared neutral and allowed the people to decide their fate.
Original post by generallee
We are not living in the nineteenth century, but the twenty first...

Since this is going to be the Chinese century, with that country eventually outstripping the US in economic and military terms we can either deal with that reality, and make a free trade deal with an economy that is growing at an extraordinary pace. Or stay in our tent, sulk and reminisce about the good old days of the Opium War.

The world doesn't owe us a living. Which do you think is the better, more pragmatic approach all in all?

I fully acknowledge Britain's position as just a small island.

But I don't see why we should be so keen on embracing closer ties with a non-democratic, totalitarian regime with a poor human rights record.
You do realise the Chinese dint exactly play by the rules and wont hesitate to assist their industries to wupe out their competitors and then jack the price up when there is no competition. Free trade is to be encoruaged, but it should be fair. Priority sahould be given to dealing with the countries we already do business with and where terms are going to finish. Trade deals are complicated things.
Original post by Quantex

But I don't see why we should be so keen on embracing closer ties with a non-democratic, totalitarian regime with a poor human rights record.

Because we need to eat?
He did not lift a finger because he did not believe in it. Why should he campaign against his own strong convictions? As a Leader, he appeared neutral and allowed the people to decide their fate.

Oh no, he didn't. No such luck. Like David Cameron, he posed as for Remain.

In fact, his attitude could best be described as 'slippery' or even 'deceitful'. He killed the campaign with silence, unlike Cammie and Gideon, who killed it with ridiculous statements.
Original post by Quantex

Not so small: Great Britain is the tenth largest island in the world, and the UK has the fifth largest economy.
Original post by generallee
Because we need to eat?

We have the highest rate of obesity in Europe. A lack a food is something Britain isn't concerned about.
Better start learning Mandarin, China will soon be the worlds #1 economy
It will, and this will only only be restoring the position to that prevailing before the industrial revolution.

https://infogr.am/Share-of-world-GDP-throughout-history
I hope getting back hong kong is part of the deal lol.
It will, and this will only only be restoring the position to that prevailing before the industrial revolution.

https://infogr.am/Share-of-world-GDP-throughout-history

Indeed, China has long been the world's powerhouse and technologically more advanced than us for hundred of years
Original post by Quantex
We have the highest rate of obesity in Europe. A lack a food is something Britain isn't concerned about.

Are you saying we're going to have to eat the fat people? :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest