The Student Room Group

Clearing/rejection

I was wandering if it is possible to reject some of your offers. I firmed UCL and (surprisingly) am feeling like I will meet their A*A*A offer which would be good for people who have the funds to finance their child's education in London. Money is not a problem according to my parents but I feel uneasy at the prospect of UCL as it will cost around 45000 euros to live and study there per year. I know there is adjustment but it says met or exceeded which is problematic as I will not get 3 A*'s (I did 4 A levels and already have one A so maybe A*A*AA would count as exceeded but I do not know). I was looking at Bath and Durham as an alternative (with Bath being my insurance and a rejection from Durham)

tl;dr; Can I reject an offer or go through adjustment to change my firm uni (probably to a lower requirement one)?
Original post by 130398
I was wandering if it is possible to reject some of your offers. I firmed UCL and (surprisingly) am feeling like I will meet their A*A*A offer which would be good for people who have the funds to finance their child's education in London. Money is not a problem according to my parents but I feel uneasy at the prospect of UCL as it will cost around 45000 euros to live and study there per year. I know there is adjustment but it says met or exceeded which is problematic as I will not get 3 A*'s (I did 4 A levels and already have one A so maybe A*A*AA would count as exceeded but I do not know). I was looking at Bath and Durham as an alternative (with Bath being my insurance and a rejection from Durham)

tl;dr; Can I reject an offer or go through adjustment to change my firm uni (probably to a lower requirement one)?

No you can't go through adjustment unless you meet and exceed your firm offer - to exceed an A*A*A offer you would need to get A*A*A* - a fourth A level would not qualify as exceeding.

HOWEVER all is not lost.

If you call up Bath and UCL TODAY and explain that you'd like to swap your firm and insurance choices around then if they both agree and notify UCAS before 14 July then your choices will be swapped on Track and Bath will become your new Firm.

The only way to arrange to go to Durham would be to ask to be placed into clearing on results day (take around 48 hours) and then hope that Durham would have space and be able to accept you that way. Given Durham have messed around applicants in Clearing for the last 3 years I wouldn't recommend that route. If you have your heart set on Durham over Bath then the best option would be to take a gap year and reapply for 2017 entry.
Reply 3
The only reason I firmed UCL were the higher entry requirements. I didn't want to reject the Bath or UCL offers as my other 3 (more like insurance) universities rejected me. I favor Bath over Durham but I worry about the availability of accomodation there which is within less than 15 minutes walking distance (having never lived in a foreign country) I want the first year to adapt.
Original post by 130398
The only reason I firmed UCL were the higher entry requirements. I didn't want to reject the Bath or UCL offers as my other 3 (more like insurance) universities rejected me. I favor Bath over Durham but I worry about the availability of accomodation there which is within less than 15 minutes walking distance (having never lived in a foreign country) I want the first year to adapt.

If you would rather go to Bath than UCL then spending time worrying about possible issues isn't going to help.

You've missed the deadline for accommodation at Bath but that just means you have no guarantee - as an international student who would be firm before August you would be top of the list. Ask when you call how many insurance/late accommodation applicants get a place in halls. It's likely to be very high - and even if they don't find you somewhere their international team and the accommodation office will help.

I doubt UCL were offering you accommodation within 15 minutes walking distance...I'm not sure why that would put you off Bath (which is a much smaller and easily navigable city)
Reply 5
Not an International student unfortunately (if I was I would not be worrying about accomodation as I am aware that more money= more chances). There are some halls within 5 minutes walking distance but I am yet to apply there too. 240 ppw seems reasonable for London but it's still quite a lot in my eyes.
I will consider what you have said and if fact a lot of your information was (and will be) very useful to me. I thank you for that. :borat:
Original post by 130398
Not an International student unfortunately (if I was I would not be worrying about accomodation as I am aware that more money= more chances). There are some halls within 5 minutes walking distance but I am yet to apply there too. 240 ppw seems reasonable for London but it's still quite a lot in my eyes.
I will consider what you have said and if fact a lot of your information was (and will be) very useful to me. I thank you for that. :borat:

If you don't do something about this today or Monday morning then the chances of swapping to Bath become a lot riskier.
Original post by PQ
No you can't go through adjustment unless you meet and exceed your firm offer - to exceed an A*A*A offer you would need to get A*A*A* - a fourth A level would not qualify as exceeding.

HOWEVER all is not lost.

If you call up Bath and UCL TODAY and explain that you'd like to swap your firm and insurance choices around then if they both agree and notify UCAS before 14 July then your choices will be swapped on Track and Bath will become your new Firm.

The only way to arrange to go to Durham would be to ask to be placed into clearing on results day (take around 48 hours) and then hope that Durham would have space and be able to accept you that way. Given Durham have messed around applicants in Clearing for the last 3 years I wouldn't recommend that route. If you have your heart set on Durham over Bath then the best option would be to take a gap year and reapply for 2017 entry.

Durham doesn't seem to have many Clearing places... E.g. their Philosophy course doesn't go into Clearing ever, apparently. What course are you wanting to do OP?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending