The Student Room Group

Why is gender equality still not a reality in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

We do have equality in the West. Put your diatribe to one side and campaign for the real struggles women face in third world countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PrincessZara
Oh shutup you brainwashed mug

You are miss "only 1 GCSE" so why should I listen to anything you have to say?
Reply 62
Original post by rainbow.panda
I did Maths (I am female) and the ratio of men to women for us was probably more like 60:40. Plenty of women there, all just as capable as the men, in fact the student who was top of the class was one of my female friends. This idea that women "don't do" mathsy subjects is complete nonsense.

60/40? Really? Don't lie lol. Maybe in your circle of friends. What uni?
Original post by Sapphire321
I do not accept that I am a "feminazi" for believing in gender equality. That term is just completely wrong. How is it acceptable to compare women who believe in equal rights with the nazis? Attitudes like yours are part of the problem. Where exactly did I mention Islam? Or are you just desperate to rant about another of your prejudices?

No you don't believe in equal rights for men and women. You are a femiNazi so you are anti-men.

I believe in equal rights for men and women. I believe in equal pay. I believe in equal opportunities. I believe in respect for women in the work place. I believe in tackling sexual abuse as much as possible. I believe in destroying what's left of the backward's "females should be stay at home mothers" mentality. I believe in abortion rights. I believe in abandoning all religions which are proved sexist towards women the way they make men appear superior by referring to God as "him" by allowing male only priests/imams, by letting men have many wives (but not vice versa) and so on. I believe women should be viewed as equal.

I believe all this yet I am no feminist or feminazi. I am just a believer in equal rights for women and men. Big difference. I have 0 similarity to a feminist.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cipi
60/40? Really? Don't lie lol. Maybe in your circle of friends. What uni?

Leicester. And no, I'm not lying at all. It really wasn't obvious that there more more guys than girls.
Original post by Manchester_123
You are miss "only 1 GCSE" so why should I listen to anything you have to say?

"
Me and my family voted out, but we are kind of in regret now :frown:"
No you don't believe in equal rights for men and women. You are a femiNazi so you are anti-men.

I believe in equal rights for men and women. I believe in equal pay. I believe in equal opportunities. I believe in respect for women in the work place. I believe in tackling sexual abuse as much as possible. I believe in destroying what's left of the backward's "females should be stay at home mothers" mentality. I believe in abortion rights. I believe in abandoning all religions which are proved sexist towards women the way they make men appear superior by referring to God as "him" by allowing male only priests/imams, by letting men have many wives (but not vice versa) and so on. I believe women should be viewed as equal.

I believe all this yet I am no feminist or feminazi. I am just a believer in equal rights for women and men. Big difference

You basically just described a feminist.

The definition of feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of equality of the sexes" so if you want the sexes to be equal, you are a feminist. All your beliefs match mine so why would that make me a "feminazi" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by perspectives
You basically just described a feminist.

The definition of feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of equality of the sexes" so if you want the sexes to be equal, you are a feminist. All your beliefs match mine so why would that make me a "feminazi" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be dead before I am a feminist/feminazi. I believe in equal rights and all the things I listed. Don't insult me by comparing me to a feminist. We have opposite views on the matter
Discrimination is a factor. In the video it says the the wage gap doesn't take account of different job positions or different jobs. It is the average earnings of men and women working full time. Precisely my point, men are paid on average more than women due to:

1. More men in higher paid jobs/careers.
2. More men in higher paid positions within the same organisation/career path.
3. Men being paid more than women for doing the same job.

These situations can arise because of:

1. Discrimination.
2. Gender conditioning/conforming to traditional gender roles.

Women, if they want to, can get into financial positions eg Investment banking or other banking easier than men... YOU DO NOT WANT EQUALITY, YOU WANT EQUITY, you want equal outcome, not equal opportunity, no one stops girls from doing maths ect, they CHOOSE not to. It's their choice, men die younger, men also spend more money on women than women do on men...
And let's be honest, if you ask most women what they want in men, one of the things is that they earn more money than them....
Women have children, well they're supposed to, so ofc more men are in full time work ect, men do not want to stay at home looking after the children/house and never did.... so why would they now? Personally I'd love to have a few children with my wife and if she earned 10000000 pounds a year I would happily stay at home. Another factor is that, if women are the breadwinner in the family, let's be honest a lot of them would get funny if you asked them for money... I'll give you an example, both my aunt and her husband work, but when he buys something, he has to buy her something, but when it's her, it's her money...... he also does all the housework, and with 11 animals that's a lot lmao. Also if more women are at work full time/have careers, less children are born... Although a great thing if women all earned more than men is that men wouldn't get ****ed over so much in divorce...
I'll be dead before I am a feminist/feminazi. I believe in equal rights and all the things I listed. Don't insult me by comparing me to a feminist. We have opposite views on the matter

In what ways are our views opposing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
men are just more powerful and valued more than woman, and unfornately its going to stay like that

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe in equal rights for men and women. I believe women should be treated the SAME as men. No sex should get priority or superiority. You are a feminazi and you believe men should be inferior to women. I have 0 similarity to feminists. I will never be a feminist and I'll be dead before I even consider to be one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got a question for you, when you look for a partner, are you attracted to someone that earns more money/ would you marry a man significantly poorer than you?
Another reason feminists aren't liked, I remember a thread where a girl would complain because her bf has different political beliefs, and that when he introduced her to his mum and dad he introduced her as my girlfriend, she was offended and asked why he didn't say my partner I love very much.
Feminists complain about video games and words... that's why people don't like them.
Or holding cup cake sales and forcing men to pay more for them because of the pay gap at uni, despite them not earning any more/life choices making up a huge part of that.
As for the joke ****, they're jokes ffs lmao. When I get to uni and meet the females I am going to be living with, I am going to say "which one of you lovely ladies is doing the cooking then" just to see if any of them get pissy haha
Reply 73
I am a 21 year old woman and I would describe myself as a feminist going by the actual definition of feminism which is: the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of equality of the sexes. I am a feminist because I believe that men and women should be equal in society and that neither men nor women should be forced to conform to traditional gender roles NOT because I think that women should be superior to or have more privileges or better rights than men or because I think all men are sexist. I would also say, before people stereotype me, that I am straight, I do not hate men, I do take care of my appearance and I am not in any way the type of radical, extreme feminist that so many people now seem to think that all women who want equal rights are.

Anyway, to get to why I started this thread, I used to believe that men and women were fairly equal in modern society in the UK. However, as I’ve got older I’ve realised more and more that this is just not the case. In the workplace, there is still a 9.4% pay gap on average between men and women for full-time employment and when part-time employment is also included the gap extends to 19.2%. In the private sector specifically the pay gap for even for full-time employees was 17.2%! The TUC analysis of the ONS statistics showed that looking at the highest earners that gap widens even more reaching 54.9% for the top 2% of earners. The “glass ceiling” is even now nowhere near broken. There are many more men than women in top level jobs in politics, law, science, technology, engineering, academia, business… Just looking at politics alone, there is currently a lot in the media about how the next Prime Minister now has to be either Theresa May or Andrea Leadsom therefore it has to be (how shocking!) a woman. I know it’s only the second time in history so that’s a point of interest and it’s obviously great that we are going to have another female Prime Minister but it still shouldn’t be portrayed by the media as such a novel and unusual idea. Even after the 2015 General Election, only 29% of MPs and a third of cabinet ministers are women. Women in politics seem to be judged by the media and society in general as much for how they look as for their policies and often face sexism from both the media and male colleagues. So, if we can’t get proper gender equality in politics which is both very public and obviously instrumental in trying to create equal rights then what hope is there for other professions.

It’s not just in the workplace that women aren’t treated equally either. Everyday sexism is present in schools, universities and in wider society. Worryingly, there is evidence that our generation, if anything, is getting worse. The rise of “Lad Culture” and “Rape Culture” which are particularly prevalent at universities is becoming a serious problem. Women are routinely objectified. Some men (I am definitely not saying all men) and even some women make sexist jokes and comments on a regular basis including joking about rape. Sexist posts and memes (again including jokes about rape) are often shared on social media… Why is it still seen as acceptable to joke that women should “get back to the kitchen” or worse?

As I said, I used to believe that men and women were now equal in the UK when I was still at school but scarily, knowing what I know now looking back on things that happened when I was at school, sexism was obvious there too. I had one male teacher in sixth form who used to patronisingly call all the girls “young lady” but never the boys “young man”. I had a female teacher who said women who worked and had children were irresponsible because they couldn’t be fully committed to their careers. Boys in my class joked that “all women should be prostitutes” but “*name of girl* wouldn’t get any customers”. In my year, boys and even occasionally girls made jokes that were either sexist or involved rape or both. Also, seeing some of the threads on TSR where (some) guys make sexist and misogynistic comments and then call girls “feminazis” if they dispute what’s been said makes me think that sexism certainly hasn’t gone, it hasn’t even decreased by all that much in some ways, it has just adapted into a modern version.

So, why is it that in 2016 women are still not treated as equal to men? And why do people say that feminism is now irrelevant when there is still so much inequality? In a country where women got the vote almost a century ago shouldn’t we have better equality in modern society than this?

"Why is it that in 2016 women are still not treated as equal to men?"
Because there's an Eastern world, too.
I am a 21 year old woman and I would describe myself as a feminist going by the actual definition of feminism which is: the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of equality of the sexes. I am a feminist because I believe that men and women should be equal in society and that neither men nor women should be forced to conform to traditional gender roles NOT because I think that women should be superior to or have more privileges or better rights than men or because I think all men are sexist. I would also say, before people stereotype me, that I am straight, I do not hate men, I do take care of my appearance and I am not in any way the type of radical, extreme feminist that so many people now seem to think that all women who want equal rights are.

Anyway, to get to why I started this thread, I used to believe that men and women were fairly equal in modern society in the UK. However, as I’ve got older I’ve realised more and more that this is just not the case. In the workplace, there is still a 9.4% pay gap on average between men and women for full-time employment and when part-time employment is also included the gap extends to 19.2%. In the private sector specifically the pay gap for even for full-time employees was 17.2%! The TUC analysis of the ONS statistics showed that looking at the highest earners that gap widens even more reaching 54.9% for the top 2% of earners. The “glass ceiling” is even now nowhere near broken. There are many more men than women in top level jobs in politics, law, science, technology, engineering, academia, business… Just looking at politics alone, there is currently a lot in the media about how the next Prime Minister now has to be either Theresa May or Andrea Leadsom therefore it has to be (how shocking!) a woman. I know it’s only the second time in history so that’s a point of interest and it’s obviously great that we are going to have another female Prime Minister but it still shouldn’t be portrayed by the media as such a novel and unusual idea. Even after the 2015 General Election, only 29% of MPs and a third of cabinet ministers are women. Women in politics seem to be judged by the media and society in general as much for how they look as for their policies and often face sexism from both the media and male colleagues. So, if we can’t get proper gender equality in politics which is both very public and obviously instrumental in trying to create equal rights then what hope is there for other professions.

This has been successful discredited so many times it's not even funny. Women choose different (often less earning) jobs from men and work less hours on average. If there was real disparity in pay, then there would be a lot more instances of people invoking the equal pay act and taking their employers to court.

It’s not just in the workplace that women aren’t treated equally either. Everyday sexism is present in schools, universities and in wider society. Worryingly, there is evidence that our generation, if anything, is getting worse. The rise of “Lad Culture” and “Rape Culture” which are particularly prevalent at universities is becoming a serious problem. Women are routinely objectified. Some men (I am definitely not saying all men) and even some women make sexist jokes and comments on a regular basis including joking about rape. Sexist posts and memes (again including jokes about rape) are often shared on social media… Why is it still seen as acceptable to joke that women should “get back to the kitchen” or worse?

Lad culture has always existed and always will, I don't see how blokes blowing off steam and having fun is somehow detrimental to women. Rape culture is simply non-existant, the vast vast vast majority of men hate rapists. Men are also routinely objectified too, and frankly I think getting offended by something so insignificant as well as sexist jokes is an indication of how privileged you are. You don't see many men crying that feminists think that straight white men are satan incarnate, do you?

As I said, I used to believe that men and women were now equal in the UK when I was still at school but scarily, knowing what I know now looking back on things that happened when I was at school, sexism was obvious there too. I had one male teacher in sixth form who used to patronisingly call all the girls “young lady” but never the boys “young man”. I had a female teacher who said women who worked and had children were irresponsible because they couldn’t be fully committed to their careers. Boys in my class joked that “all women should be prostitutes” but “*name of girl* wouldn’t get any customers”. In my year, boys and even occasionally girls made jokes that were either sexist or involved rape or both. Also, seeing some of the threads on TSR where (some) guys make sexist and misogynistic comments and then call girls “feminazis” if they dispute what’s been said makes me think that sexism certainly hasn’t gone, it hasn’t even decreased by all that much in some ways, it has just adapted into a modern version.

So, why is it that in 2016 women are still not treated as equal to men? And why do people say that feminism is now irrelevant when there is still so much inequality? In a country where women got the vote almost a century ago shouldn’t we have better equality in modern society than this?

These anecdotes are ridiculous, they're clearly off colour jokes. If you're honestly offended by such small things I think it is time to reconsider your world view, as the real world is a lot tougher than just jokes.

In response to the equality thing? In law you are in the UK, there is nothing the government can do to make you more equal without being autocratic, which unfortunately they are starting to do.

If you want to genuinely help women become equal, stop crying about jokes and go to saudi arabia and help them there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IronicalMan
Got a question for you, when you look for a partner, are you attracted to someone that earns more money/ would you marry a man significantly poorer than you?
Another reason feminists aren't liked, I remember a thread where a girl would complain because her bf has different political beliefs, and that when he introduced her to his mum and dad he introduced her as my girlfriend, she was offended and asked why he didn't say my partner I love very much.
Feminists complain about video games and words... that's why people don't like them.
Or holding cup cake sales and forcing men to pay more for them because of the pay gap at uni, despite them not earning any more/life choices making up a huge part of that.
As for the joke ****, they're jokes ffs lmao. When I get to uni and meet the females I am going to be living with, I am going to say "which one of you lovely ladies is doing the cooking then" just to see if any of them get pissy haha

Well I'm 16 so I'm just attracted to nice, attractive guys since nobody my age earns much.
That's very petty, I understand why you would think that. Personally I would never say that.
Also I can take a joke thank god.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by epage
Okay, but why is that? That isn't just nature, boys aren't just born with math/science ability..

Tbf, it's nor really ability but interest, for example I got an A in English at gcse, but since I never enjoyed it, especially literature on romeo and juliet, which the girls liked and were more interested in(the boys, including me, were not at all) I didn't study it for a level, not to mention I thought economics and maths would be more important in getting a high paid job, but lots of girls were less focused on making choices about future pay, and rather what they ENJOYED, I mean, boys are just as capable as girls in English, but **** all did English and **** all girls did maths.
Well I'm 16 so I'm just attracted to nice, attractive guys since nobody my age earns much.
That's very petty, I understand why you would think that. Personally I would never say that.
Also I can take a joke thank god.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice? I didn't think girls liked that lmao
Reply 78
Stop talking rubbish. There is no rape culture.
Original post by IronicalMan
Nice? I didn't think girls liked that lmao

I like it when people are nice to me yes haha?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply