The Student Room Group

[PETITION] Make Eid a National Holiday

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Legendary Quest
I'm not sure if *everyone* needs to have the day off, especially since the date changes each year and there's always a massive debate on the exact day it should be on.

I think it's fair for Muslims to have the option though so they don't have to use their annual leave.

I'm not Christian but I still get a holiday on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas. I definitely don't have a problem with this. Similarly, I'm not a Muslim and wouldn't have a problem with having a day off for Eid. I understand that England (specifically England) has among the fewest national holidays in the world and given that a large proportion of our population is Muslim it seems reasonable to me to have a bank/national holiday for Eid.
As a Muslim I'd rather not...

Imagine how much ammunition this would give islamophobic groups like Britain First. I can already imagine the "Muslims coming over here, forcing US to celebrate THEIR holidays" slogans.

So yeah, no thanks!
Reply 142
Original post by Mactotaur
Say I'm a follower of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Why shouldn't I get my holidays off?

I have explained this to you in detail a matter of minutes ago:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=66320452&postcount=134

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=66320620&postcount=136

Alright then, why do Christians deserve national holidays when most of the country isn't Christian? Why does any religion deserve a national holiday, regardless of size of membership?
Reply 144
Alright then, why do Christians deserve national holidays when most of the country isn't Christian? Why does any religion deserve a national holiday, regardless of size of membership?

You are either not reading my posts or you are in possession of some truly dreadful comprehension skills
Original post by Fenice
You are either not reading my posts or you are in possession of some truly dreadful comprehension skills

I'm serious. Why do you deserve a holiday just because you believe in a deity which may not even exist?
Reply 146
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
That's a good idea...

All of the non-muslim's have to go to school
It's kinda unfair, so why not make it a holiday!!!

true!!! haha
A win-win for all.
Reply 147
I'm serious. Why do you deserve a holiday just because you believe in a deity which may not even exist?

I am also serious. If you want to know my response to this, go back to my previous responses to you and engage with them instead of asking me the same questions several times.
I'm not signing the petition. Schools throughout the country allow Muslim kids to take days off for Eid anyway. Why should it be made into a national holiday? We're not an Islamic country.

I haven't seen petitions to make Diwali or Hannukah national holidays. Why does this idiot who made the petition think Muslims should get the preferential treatment?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fenice
I am also serious. If you want to know my response to this, go back to my previous responses to you and engage with them instead of asking me the same questions several times.

God doesn't exist. If you disagree, prove it - you'd be making the more significant claim.

If God doesn't exist, why should there be any religious celebrations which the country recognises as official?
Original post by Manitude
I'm not Christian but I still get a holiday on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas. I definitely don't have a problem with this. Similarly, I'm not a Muslim and wouldn't have a problem with having a day off for Eid. I understand that England (specifically England) has among the fewest national holidays in the world and given that a large proportion of our population is Muslim it seems reasonable to me to have a bank/national holiday for Eid.

I think it would be lovely if it was a national holiday but my only worry is how it changes each year. It would be difficult to have it on one specific day. The exact day it's on depends on when the moon is sighted which is why some celebrate it on one day and others on another day. Also, Eid happens twice every year which makes it even more confusing. :redface:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm not signing the petition. Schools throughout the country allow Muslim kids to take days off for Eid anyway. Why should it be made into a national holiday? We're not an Islamic country.

I haven't seen petitions to make Diwali or Hannukah national holidays. Why does this idiot who made the petition think Muslims should get the preferential treatment?

Well, Christianity often gets preferential treatment with Christmas, and to a lesser degree with Easter, Shrove Tuesday/Ash Wednesday, all the Saints Days, All Saints' and All Souls' Days.
Well, Christianity often gets preferential treatment with Christmas, and to a lesser degree with Easter, Shrove Tuesday/Ash Wednesday, all the Saints Days, All Saints' and All Souls' Days.

Mainly because GB has had its roots from Christianity for centuries. It doesn't have Islamic roots like Saudi Arabia etc.
Mainly because GB has had its roots from Christianity for centuries. It doesn't have Islamic roots like Saudi Arabia etc.

Most of the country is no longer religious - the non religious outnumber the Christians. Surely it's time to scrap religious holidays altogether, when the majority of the population does not celebrate them?
I really don't care. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Most of the country is no longer religious - the non religious outnumber the Christians. Surely it's time to scrap religious holidays altogether, when the majority of the population does not celebrate them?

Really? You do know a lot of non Christians celebrate Christmas as well right?
Original post by NickLCFC
Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/150516

Not a muslim, but more holidays the better LMAO
Really? You do know a lot of non Christians celebrate Christmas as well right?

Read a few pages back, you'll find our discussion of Christmas. It's more of a secular family time now, but the other holidays aren't.
Reply 158
No, enhland is a Christian country mainly so we celebrate Christian festivals.
Original post by NickLCFC
Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/150516

Christmas is a national holiday period with historically religious roots. Christmas isn't for Christians (or Pagans :wink: ), it's for everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending