The Student Room Group

What would you do with £100,000?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pickles
It's a hard one, but first thing's first I'd go on holiday..
Then a house deposit comes close second...
Probably buy a dog (golden retriever)
Finally, buy a car...

*Out of money*

I would buy a forest.
Reply 21
Original post by Blue_Mason
You cannot buy a standard house for 100k, let own a shared flat for that much.

I would invest that money

Of course you can one thats in an undesirable area or is small but i meant abroad; I can find a nice bach for £100,000.00
First things first,

I'm going to the nicest restaurant in town with my close friends and family.-£500 (I'm guessing)

Buy Dom Perignon, Ace of Spades, and Crystal just to see if the last two are as good as they look or better than Dom.-£600(or around that)

I'll buy a home in North of England and that'd help my retirement plan and possibly my future kid's university funding.£60,000

I'd help my little cousin out with her tuition fee as well-£10,000

Just under 30 k left

I'd buy myself a dog that can live comfortably in hot weather -£200? (I have no idea how much they cost lol)

Buy my grandpa some war artefacts or art as he loves history of war-£1000 (I hope)

Make a small park in my grandma's name in her home town - £6000

So that leaves me with around £20 k or under to just use for household expenses, save for a rainy day or leave to gain interest overtime.

This leaves me with income from my job to eventually buy massive land for a farm, go on random trips now and then on weekends and maybe by a Toyota FJ or the new Toyota Yaris Sedan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Put it in the Dow 30 and hold forever, reinvest dividends and watch the money grow
A lot of materialistic people on here. Is it only me who'd put it in a bank account and save it?
Reply 25
Original post by jake4198
A lot of materialistic people on here. Is it only me who'd put it in a bank account and save it?

Given current interest rates and the definite increase in inflation (because the pound got whacked and the UK imports everything), you will actually lose purchasing power by keeping money in a bank account. Unless you can find a bank account giving you above 2% interest.

Put it in good blue chip dividend stocks and reinvest dividends for the long haul.
Reply 26
Probably just buy more cars. I've already got everything I need.
change it to euros... in six months i will double my money
I will have to invest the money into something. Which will get me more money in the end... Millions. This is why most people who win the lottery after years lose the money. You have to invest them to make sure you continue to make them.
Reply 29
Original post by the bear
change it to euros... in six months i will double my money

Not really, the bid ask spread on most foreign exchange brokers is a joke for the average man. Unless you see massive movements it's hard to make money off FX.
Original post by Pickles
It's a hard one, but first thing's first I'd go on holiday..
Then a house deposit comes close second...
Probably buy a dog (golden retriever)
Finally, buy a car...

*Out of money*

Use it to get the hell out of my mum's house
invest to make it 200,000 :innocent:
Reply 32
Original post by Ella_08
invest to make it 200,000 :innocent:

And how would you do that?

And don't say bank account!
Original post by fg45344
And how would you do that?

And don't say bank account!

put money into shares, you'd be surprised how much you can make. My parents do it :tongue:
Reply 34
Original post by Ella_08
put money into shares, you'd be surprised how much you can make. My parents do it :tongue:

Yes, that is the correct answer...but be careful. You get a lot of herd mentality in the stock market, "I'm buying that stock cos everyone else is buying", which can lead to a massive bubble with pops. Look at the Chinese markets from 2015, they drove the market into a massive bubble, valuations nothing like earnings and it all fell apart.

Best thing to do is to buy very safe dividend stocks and hold forever, reinvesting dividends. So companies like Shell, Rio Tinto, GSK, Verizon etc

A lot of the UK doesn't invest in shares you will find, mainly because of lack of knowledge and the fact most uninformed people think it's gambling.

Though something like the Financial Derivatives markets are in fact gambling, so stay away from them! Like the FX trading, options trading. Because you are forced to close your position, you either take a loss or a gain.
Original post by fg45344
Yes, that is the correct answer...but be careful. You get a lot of herd mentality in the stock market, "I'm buying that stock cos everyone else is buying", which can lead to a massive bubble with pops. Look at the Chinese markets from 2015, they drove the market into a massive bubble, valuations nothing like earnings and it all fell apart.

Best thing to do is to buy very safe dividend stocks and hold forever, reinvesting dividends. So companies like Shell, Rio Tinto, GSK, Verizon etc

A lot of the UK doesn't invest in shares you will find, mainly because of lack of knowledge and the fact most uninformed people think it's gambling.

Though something like the Financial Derivatives markets are in fact gambling, so stay away from them! Like the FX trading, options trading. Because you are forced to close your position, you either take a loss or a gain.

Thanks for the tips :smile: Seems like you know a lot about shares! I know a bit about it and what companies to invest in. Yeah, I agree all those companies are reliable however I wouldn't invest in Shell because oil can be a risk, since there's less and less of it every day. Do you do shares? I was considering starting small with £200 just to see how it goes.
Reply 36
Original post by Ella_08

100000*(1.07)^10 = 196715

If you can find a good dividend stock hitting 7% (possibly a bit on the risky side but hey it's still part of the FTSE 100), you can double your money in 10 years by just reinvesting dividends.

Forget the share growth, which in 10 years would most likely double at least if not triple (given the dividend yield)

So you could make 4 times your money in 10 years with essentially very little risk.

Plus dividends usually grow over time, so let's say there is another bear market between now and then, you still should make 4 times your money with little risk.
let see £100,000
that's easy
a pre-owned Rolex Daytona- £7,700
a pre-owned aston martin £27,950
a big diamond ring for the business £55,000
a pre-owned Rolex day date- £7,700
that's leaves £1,650 which I'll spend on a
bottle of chateau y'quem (£1,000) and 3 bottles of cristal champagne (£600)
Reply 38
Original post by Ella_08
Thanks for the tips :smile: Seems like you know a lot about shares! I know a bit about it and what companies to invest in. Yeah, I agree all those companies are reliable however I wouldn't invest in Shell because oil can be a risk, since there's less and less of it every day. Do you do shares? I was considering starting small with £200 just to see how it goes.

I have £14,000 in the financial markets, mostly across the FTSE 100, FTSE 250 and S&P 500 and DOW 30. Though the DOW 30 and S&P 500 overlap.

You need more than £200, mainly because of broker fees. It costs me £11.95 to buy and sell plus the dreaded stamp duty on top. Though if you do shares in an ISA, you are free from capital gains tax and tax on dividend income.

No Shell is one of the greatest companies to invest in. The last time they cut their dividend was in 1945, they would rather sack staff than cut the dividend, amazing if you think about it. Shell will be around for another 50 years at least if not more, the world depends on oil.

I have the knowledge because I've been playing with the markets for a year now. Plus my degrees help me, MSc in Finance and Econometrics and doing a PhD in Economics....but real life counts for more than degrees you will find!!

Learn from Warren Buffet and watch Bloomberg daily.....and read everything on Investopedia. Then you will do well.
Range Rover
Range Rover
Range Rover

Yes, I suppose I am materialistic. But I'd never put material possessions above my friends/family and helping others.

My grandparents are renewing their vowels, so I'd also send them away to Rome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest