The Student Room Group

instead of teaching maths with examples of jonny picks for apples.. use weed?

So we all know how boring maths is and how irrelevent it comes accross, im also sure mostof us have heard people say it should be taught in more relevent terms the most common i've heard in relation to weed or the like [as lets fce it everyone will atleast come across a weed peddler] and it does seem to teach dealers some medium level maths which they can use...

Whats your opinion?)
Reply 1
Teaching children about weed in school and normalising it definitely isn't a good idea.
Original post by Napp
So we all know how boring maths is and how irrelevent it comes accross, im also sure mostof us have heard people say it should be taught in more relevent terms the most common i've heard in relation to weed or the like [as lets fce it everyone will atleast come across a weed peddler] and it does seem to teach dealers some medium level maths which they can use...

Whats your opinion?)

:facepalm: :facepalm:
Reply 3
Deny it would be less relatable than the current examples they use! :P
Original post by Napp
Deny it would be less relatable than the current examples they use! :P

Maths shouldn't be dumbed down just so a couple of set 4 stoners can relate to it. GCSE's are dumbed down enough as it is
Not everyone likes weed
Tell the kids how maths can be used to program computer games

Tell the kids how maths can be used as an engineer

Tell the kids how maths makes fancy graphs

Tell the kids how maths makes the world operate

and so on...

These is no reason for the use of weed, apple are a good option as they are healthy.
Original post by Math12345
Not everyone likes weed

Not everyone likes apples:tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Napp

Whats your opinion?)

My opinion is that we should stop trying to make maths more relatable in the first place. "Andy has x grams of weed and Betty has y grams of weed..." is a boring problem, and doesn't teach the value of maths.
I did poorly in GCSE maths because I thought it was difficult and boring (like everyone else), so I never tried.

Providing context for a statistics question in the form of a story, and then contrasting it with some alien quadratic equation question didn't help me to gain an appreciation for either type of problem. I just figured that neither problem had any real world application: I could use a calculator for the easy stuff, and the difficult algebra stuff was the domain of mathematically-minded people who liked that kind of thing.

Now I'm a physicist, and I can appreciate the value of "real" mathematics. I resent GCSE maths for having nearly turned me away from all of the cool stuff you can do with mathematics if you just try learning it, and I seriously think the curriculum needs to be revised... I don't think replacing apples with weed is gonna do it, though...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PaulJWM
My opinion is that we should stop trying to make maths more relatable in the first place. "Andy has x grams of weed and Betty has y grams of weed..." is a boring problem, and doesn't teach the value of maths.
I did poorly in GCSE maths because I thought it was difficult and boring (like everyone else), so I never tried.

Providing context for a statistics question in the form of a story, and then contrasting it with some alien quadratic equation question didn't help me to gain an appreciation for either type of problem. I just figured that neither problem had any real world application: I could use a calculator for the easy stuff, and the difficult algebra stuff was the domain of mathematically-minded people who liked that kind of thing.

Now I'm a physicist, and I can appreciate the value of "real" mathematics. I resent GCSE maths for having nearly turned me away from all of the cool stuff you can do with mathematics if you just try learning it, and I seriously think the curriculum needs to be revised... I don't think replacing apples with weed is gonna do it, though...

I got an A at gcse maths and an A at as level maths, I agree completely, I hated those easy common sense questions and they stopped me getting an A* though you don't get them at a level :smile: tbf it would get all the roadmen and drugdealers a C tho lol
Reply 10
That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard
Reply 11
Teach kids what maths is without relating it to stupid and artificial examples.
Original post by Zacken
Teach kids what maths is without relating it to stupid and artificial examples.

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending