The Student Room Group

Uni courses in Clearing revealed for 2016

Scroll to see replies

My firm uni is in clearing (loughborough) , my course however I have no idea because they haven't published what courses are in clearing. However a very similar course at Sussex is with similar grade requirements to my firm (physics with a foundation year) is in clearing.

So fingers crossed!
Manchester is just embarrassing,so many prominent courses in clearing.
Original post by Kadak
Manchester is just embarrassing,so many prominent courses in clearing.

Please read the posts above about the context and purpose of early Clearing.
Original post by returnmigrant
In Clearing at this stage may mean they only have 1 or 2 places to fill and don't want to do the mayhem of full Clearing in August.

A course in Clearing isnt a judgement on the course - just that the Unis suspect that they don't have enough strong CF to guarantee filling the course so they want to make a few more certain offers.

And 'early Clearing' isnt the same as 'full Clearing; (ie. August, when all applicant results are known) - some Uni will deliberately wait until they are totally certain of numbers before deciding to put any courses into Clearing.

Many of the courses in Clearing are there simply because they are' hard to fill' - unusual subjects or unusual combinations of subjects (or 'with a language' ) - worth considering if you dont have the grades for a single subject course

Ah alright .What does CF stand for ?
Original post by Kadak
Ah alright .What does CF stand for ?

Conditional Firm.
Original post by glebp
Yep, Warwick has a solid business school and is considered a solid target. I want to study an easy course, at a good university, you will be living the dream for 3 years and have more time to actually study some useful and tangible skills like programming and financial modelling, rather than all the theoretical bs on an econ degree.

Well, as Prince said, the bottom line is that Notts is perceived better by banks. Imo, the campus is better too. If it was BSc Economics at Manchester I would understand, but its the BA version, which is packed by a few core modules and the rest are pretty much a joke e.g social studies, which I have 0 interest in.

Furthermore, heard the economics course at manchester is a bit soft, and individuals who pursued a masters degree had to do 2 years, instead of 1 year to obtain the masters degree.

Had this dilemma too, between Manc and Notts, insured Notts. For you to judge.

Good luck!

I'd only choose the BA economics of I couldn't get on to the IBFE or Management(IBE) courses, which are both BSc's, because I want to be in the business school.

I would prefer economics over management because the theory would better teach me how the world works, how to make predictions in the markets for example. Also I want to do an MBA, which would make doing the BSc management a waste of time to a certain extent. I want to gather as much varying knowledge as possible and not just learn the same stuff over and over, partly why I'm not doing anything business or econ related at A-level.

The way I see it, I want to make use of the knowledge I learn rather than just make use the degree certificate.

Hello,

We currently do not know which courses will go into clearing. UCAS has put all courses up at the moment and we will update UCAS as the majority of the results come in.

Our advice is that if applicants are considering applying through clearing between now and A level results day (18 August), they should enquire through our admissions team ([email protected]).

Kind regards,
Emma
Original post by University of Surrey
We currently do not know which courses will go into clearing. UCAS has put all courses up at the moment and we will update UCAS as the majority of the results come in.

Our advice is that if applicants are considering applying through clearing between now and A level results day (18 August), they should enquire through our admissions team ([email protected]).

Kind regards,
Emma

So it looks like everything is in clearing even though it isn't.
Hello,

Kind regards,
Emma

You might want to speak to your admissions team. UCAS haven't put all the courses into Clearing, your admissions team have at some point in the last 2 weeks. UCAS defaulted courses to closed.

You're advertising vacancies on the UCAS Clearing listings which aren't available. If someone from admissions could reply to @jneill stating that the Tonmeister course is closed to Clearing applicants then someone somewhere must have a list of which courses aren't closed...

UCAS communication with universities
Setting Clearing vacancies

Your Clearing vacancies will be displayed in our search tool from Tuesday 5 July, in line with the beginning of Clearing. The facility to set the Clearing vacancy status for each of your courses has been available since 31 May 2016, and we have set the default position to None (closed in Clearing). To flag your vacancies so they appear in the Clearing listings, the Clearing vacancy status for each course should be correctly set by Friday 1 July. You can choose from the following options when you set your Clearing vacancies:
* All
* International only
* None
* UK (excluding NI) and international
* UK (excluding Scotland) and international
* UK and EU
* UK excluding Scotland
Original post by jneill
So it looks like everything is in clearing even though it isn't.

Not everything
Acting
Adult Nursing
Child Nursing
Mental Health Nursing
Midwifery
Nutrition
ODP
Paramedic
Vet Med

Are all closed to Clearing applicants....:iiam:
it isn't in there..... but my insurance was last year so hopefully it gets added in
If you are rejected then yes, you can phone and ask about other courses - some Unis will make you an auto-offer for another course rather than just reject you, but even if they dont its worth calling on Results Day.

PS. It is an urban myth that Unis all immediately drop their requirements for Clearing - it might happen at the very bottom of the pile but for the vast majority of Unis they want the grades they advertise, its that simple.

Thank you it has cleared some stuff up. I'm not expecting to massively miss my offer but by 1 maybe 2 grades. I'd guess if it is a course that hasn't filled their numbers then they may slightly lower their requirements but no-one knows till results day.

Anyone got links to past tsr clearing threads of people's experiences? Feel as though it could be helpful.
Original post by PQ
You might want to speak to your admissions team. UCAS haven't put all the courses into Clearing, your admissions team have at some point in the last 2 weeks. UCAS defaulted courses to closed.

You're advertising vacancies on the UCAS Clearing listings which aren't available. If someone from admissions could reply to @jneill stating that the Tonmeister course is closed to Clearing applicants then someone somewhere must have a list of which courses aren't closed...

Thank you for raising the issue, I have let the admissions team know so they will look into it.

At this point obviously we don't have all of the results yet so nothing is for certain, but we will continue to update as and when results come in so that on A-Level results day the most up to date information will be available.

Have a great weekend,
Emma
Have a great weekend,

Emma

You too :smile:

(and Surrey is far from alone - I'm confident that a LOT of universities have got courses listed that are actually closed and vice versa, but it makes things very frustrating for potential clearing applicants if the lists are wrong (and I can imagine anyone rejected from the Tonmeister course would feel pretty grumpy to see it in clearing if they didn't realise it was an error))
A helpful tip which can avoid this sort of frustration - make sure you are checking available Clearing courses for HOME applicants. Many Unis will be offering places to overseas applicants on more courses than for Home.
A helpful tip which can avoid this sort of frustration - make sure you are checking available Clearing courses for HOME applicants. Many Unis will be offering places to overseas applicants on more courses than for Home.

Because, money...

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you go into clearing, can you apply to a university you were made an offer from but you declined?
Original post by Adrono
If you go into clearing, can you apply to a university you were made an offer from but you declined?

Yes
Nope, only places on my uni for clearing on my subject (Biomed at UWE) are the following;

Degrees with intended masters spots (full and part time) plus one with a foundation year throne in.
Then Biomed with a Foundation year thrown in. (with an inclusive Placement year)

So, going straight into Biomed at UWE isn't an option for clearing...
Still, am happy to be going through to my final year next year. =)
Original post by Scienceisgood
Nope, only places on my uni for clearing on my subject (Biomed at UWE) are the following;

Degrees with intended masters spots (full and part time) plus one with a foundation year throne in.
Then Biomed with a Foundation year thrown in. (with an inclusive Placement year)

So, going straight into Biomed at UWE isn't an option for clearing...
Still, am happy to be going through to my final year next year. =)

Since the A level results are not yet out, clearly there are going to be additions to the Clearing lists once universities know who has failed to meet their offers.

Quick Reply