The Student Room Group

Am I screwed for life?

I graduated with a degree in Economics and Politics (high 2:1) from a red brick university this past September at the age of 26. I'm now 27.

I've had health problems since I was teenager which also affected me during my studies. As a result, I had to drop out at the beginning of my 2nd year and repeat it (although I received full marks due to mit. circumstances). I graduated in 4 years.

I'm also a co-owner of a diner from which I financed my studies (I'd not have been able to study otherwise). I still make money from it but it's clearly not what I want to do in life (job is boring and offers no challenges).

Because of my health problems, I gained no work experience during my studies (I've only worked for my own business). I also don't have any UCAS points as I've non-UK high school credentials (some firms have equivalent tables but 95% don't). I didn't know this but a huge number of jobs require specific points for entry.

Does this mean I'm unemployable?? everyone seems to have had past work experience or be really young which I'm not anymore.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenIceCream
I graduated with a degree in Economics and Politics (high 2:1)

Does this mean I'm unemployable?? .

does your question really need an answer?
I graduated with a degree in Economics and Politics (high 2:1) from a red brick university this past September at the age of 26. I'm now 27.

I've had health problems since I was teenager which also affected me during my studies. As a result, I had to drop out at the beginning of my 2nd year and repeat it (although I received full marks due to mit. circumstances). I graduated in 4 years.

I'm also a co-owner of a diner from which I financed my studies (I'd not have been able to study otherwise). I still make money from it but it's clearly not what I want to do in life (job is boring and offers no challenges).

Because of my health problems, I gained no work experience during my studies (I've only worked for my own business). I also don't have any UCAS points as I've non-UK high school credentials (some firms have equivalent tables but 95% don't). I didn't know this but a huge number of jobs require specific points for entry.

Does this mean I'm unemployable?? everyone seems to have had past work experience or be really young which I'm not anymore.

You will be fine by the looks of it
Original post by theBranicAc
does your question really need an answer?

:/ I'm not in a good place so I'm sorry if I don't appreciate your response.
No you're not.

There are skills to be learnt from everyday life.

You probably gained more skills from the diner than half the other people who just sat in a solicitors for a week pretending to do the job and gain experience.
you could talk about the challenges you faced while running a business, what sort of things you did to keep it going etc.
I would rather employ a 27 year old with work experience (even if it's irrelevent in the field of job you're applying for) than a 22 year old, straight out of Uni with very little work experience.
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
You have significant work experience - you have run your own business!!! You just have to demonstrate the skills/knowledge you have gained that you can then transfer into the career you pursue. There will be plenty of them.If you want to roughly translate your qualifications into UCAS points, then Brighton uni has a very handy translation. It is not factual (its an interpretation), but will give you an indication of how your non-UK qualifications will be seen - https://www.brighton.ac.uk/international/study-with-us/your-country-info/index.aspx. You are a recent graduate too, so your age is not an issue. There are some organisations who will only recruit recent graduates (I never really understood why) but you'd meet that criteria anyway.If anything it sounds like your attitude is the only thing holding you back. You are too dismissive of your own ability/circumstances. You really need to think about how you can start to demonstrate your success/strengths and have more belief in them. This is half the battle when applying for jobs.

Your link is broken, i think this is the link you mean:

https://www.brighton.ac.uk/international/study-with-us/courses-and-qualifications/comparing-your-qualifications/index.aspx
Original post by Kieran1996
No you're not.

You probably gained more skills from the diner than half the other people who just sat in a solicitors for a week pretending to do the job and gain experience.

Here are the skills you have to have to own and run a diner:

1. Be mindbogglingly patient and polite to people you'd normally cause grievous bodily harm to.
2. Be there from 7am to 1am every single day and having no life whatsoever.

Oh yeah sometimes you've to take 100 food pics, discard 99 and and post one on social media with a snappy subtitle to attract the cool kids. Burgers and fries do not apparently sell themselves.

I worked in the diner from 18 to 21/22. Then studied for 5 years (1st year was foundation year + 4 years for the degree). And now I'm back since September 2015. FML.

1. Be mindbogglingly patient and polite to people you'd normally cause grievous bodily harm to.

Oh yeah sometimes you've to take 100 food pics, discard 99 and and post one on social media with a snappy subtitle to attract the cool kids. Burgers and fries do not apparently sell themselves.

I worked in the diner from 18 to 21/22. Then studied for 5 years (1st year was foundation year + 4 years for the degree). And now I'm back since September 2015. FML.

Try to put a positive spin on it

Interviews are all about how well you can lie :P

I'm assuming you never talked to suppliers? Y'know, the companies that deliver the raw food to that place?
Or the people who cook the food you serve? Or the cleaners who keep your place tidy for the day after?
To own a business you'd have to build strong relationships with many people and you've done that for 5 years didn't you?
(edited 7 years ago)

Sounds from what you've said that you are fine, you just need to change your mindset. Not sure how you can have 'run a diner' for presumably 4 years, that has funded your studies, and still think you have no work experience!

Read the actual skills the job you are after requires, not the context/environment they will be used in, and ask yourself if you have evidence of having those specific skills. If you have evidence, transferred from other contexts in life, you should be competitive in applications.
Original post by shawn_o1
I'm assuming you never talked to suppliers? Y'know, the companies that deliver the raw food to that place? Or the people who cook the food you serve? Or the cleaners who keep it tidy for the day after?

It was partly a joke btw.

But what do you think talking to the suppliers involve? this is a small business, I'm not ASDA.

Diner has 4 permanent staff. 2 more depending on the season/event/etc. I've done nearly everything except preparing food. Serving tables, cleaning, storage/logistics, promotion, etc.

The work required is mostly repetitive, boring and predictive. It's not some grand adventure.

threeportdrift

Sounds from what you've said that you are fine, you just need to change your mindset. Not sure how you can have 'run a diner' for presumably 4 years, that has funded your studies, and still think you have no work experience!

Read the actual skills the job you are after requires, not the context/environment they will be used in, and ask yourself if you have evidence of having those specific skills. If you have evidence, transferred from other contexts in life, you should be competitive in applications.

No relevant work experience.

But a) what job are you trying to get and b) what skills does that job require?
Reply 14
I'm also a co-owner of a diner from which I financed my studies (I'd not have been able to study otherwise).

So do you know HOW the business works? How to buy stock (quality, price), add value to it, sell it for a profit.

How to manage limited resources (e.g. table places vs customers at busy times - or what happens when you run out of burgers...).

Business relationships with external parties - rent negotiations, council trading licenses, environmental health inspectors, trade bodies, your bank and shareholders...

What about the finances? Do you understand a profit & loss, and balance sheet and cashflow. VAT. HMRC. Business forecasts. Audits. Wages, timesheet, staff disciplinary procedures. Hiring / firing...

All (or even if it's only some of it) is hugely relevant and attractive business experience to a future employer.
It was partly a joke btw.

But what do you think talking to the suppliers involve? this is a small business, I'm not ASDA.

Diner has 4 permanent staff. 2 more depending on the season/event/etc. I've done nearly everything except preparing food. Serving tables, cleaning, storage/logistics, promotion, etc.

The work required is mostly repetitive, boring and predictive. It's not some grand adventure.

OK so you didn't prepare the food, but do you keep track of where you or your staff get the food from? Also, do you look at accounts (i mean "balances" like he said) and calculate things? Pretty sure that's what any business owner does to keep a business going. And that's a transferable skill :wink:
Reply 16

What job is a grand adventure? Unless you are Bear Grylls.

LOL UCAS points. Most companies wouldn't even know what that is. Contrary to what TSR would make you believe, the country's economy doesn't only consist of graduate schemes. Nobody gives a **** about your UCAS points!

Since you have no relevant work experience, I suggest you go out and get some. Now this is easier said than done but everyone needs to start somewhere, you are definitely not screwed though. You do have a good deree + work experiene even if it's not relevant to your degree, it's not like you've been sitting around doing nothing. Do you have an idea of what sort of career you would like though?
Reply 18
Original post by Kieran1996
No you're not.

lol, thats literally what i'm doing right now.
If you want to find out whether you're screwed just answer this question.

1) Do you live in a Capitalist society?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending