The Student Room Group

Not passionate about things anymore...?

I will try to keep this as short as possible. During Sixth Form I got very stressed, and also lost my Dad and grandma, and I generally lost a lot of self confidence from moving schools, so I developed depression. This last year I have done my first year of uni, but it seems like I can't get out of this depression, even though a lot of time has lapsed and it seems like by now something should have changed.
At uni I had a lot of free time, unlike before, and I didn't know how to spend it. I didn't do any work for the first two terms, and I didn't go to many lectures, as I found it very unchallenging and unnecessary, as I recognised most of the theories and what we leant from A-level, and I ended up with a 2:1.
So I didn't feel all that passionate about my course or getting high grades anymore, since my outlook on their importance & relevance has changed. And I tried to go to societies but I just didn't enjoy them that much, and I didn't seem to click with many people, and I didn't feel like bothering to go. I've thought about changing courses but there isn't one that really appeals to me, and I've thought about what hobbies I want to focus on or what career I would feel passionate about, but I really don't seem to feel strongly about things anymore.
I think I have realised that I am pretty average at things in the grand scheme of things, and I won't be taking any hobby too seriously, so I don't see the point in them anymore.
It has resulted in me mostly chilling, and being quite inactive, although I do still go to the gym etc. It just seems like I don't know what to do with myself and even though the option is there I just can't bring myself to get stuck into anything and I would rather think about things more and go on the laptop or TV.
I feel so stuck like I can't get into a routine or keep busy, and I can't change. I also feel very stuck inside of my head, and not really "with it" or switched on to the real world...
I am wondering, should I just keep on trying out various things and keep doing what I'm doing - the gym and ice skating, and hope that I will fall in love with something again..? Perhaps if i had more self confidence and a better outlook I would see the good in things more? Or maybe I'm just worrying about it too much. I just end up thinking why am I alive.. I'm so untalented and there is nothing I really want to do or work towards, and I'm unhappy and just bored. I just need to find a way to love life again :frown:
like I will look at my boyfriend who studies maths and watch him talk about all of these complex theories and doing assignments, and it looks more difficult and challenging than what I do. Like I would just whip out an essay just to get it over with, or the multiple choice question assignments weren't hard either, and when we had projects it seemed like a matter of going through the motions, rather than a reflection of any skill... I feel so dumb studying psychology, like it's too easy and unscientific :/ but I don't know what else I would study...
Im not really getting anywhere with this....... I'm just living every day quite easily and feel a major lack of purpose or fulfillment/enjoyment and it's not going awayyyyyyyyy. :/ I'm too indecisive to know what to do about anything ugh.

Sorry this is so long, I'm amazed if anyone bothered to read it.
As short as possible...lol
Thankyou for your advice. I'm going to try CBT therapy for depression, and I'll hopefully find what is causing me to be unsatisfied and unhappy through that.
Yeah I think I will stick with psychology and work harder in second year seeing as it counts towards my grade. And doing challenging things sounds like a good idea.

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by salsasauce
I will try to keep this as short as possible. During Sixth Form I got very stressed, and also lost my Dad and grandma, and I generally lost a lot of self confidence from moving schools, so I developed depression. This last year I have done my first year of uni, but it seems like I can't get out of this depression, even though a lot of time has lapsed and it seems like by now something should have changed.
At uni I had a lot of free time, unlike before, and I didn't know how to spend it. I didn't do any work for the first two terms, and I didn't go to many lectures, as I found it very unchallenging and unnecessary, as I recognised most of the theories and what we leant from A-level, and I ended up with a 2:1.
So I didn't feel all that passionate about my course or getting high grades anymore, since my outlook on their importance & relevance has changed. And I tried to go to societies but I just didn't enjoy them that much, and I didn't seem to click with many people, and I didn't feel like bothering to go. I've thought about changing courses but there isn't one that really appeals to me, and I've thought about what hobbies I want to focus on or what career I would feel passionate about, but I really don't seem to feel strongly about things anymore.
I think I have realised that I am pretty average at things in the grand scheme of things, and I won't be taking any hobby too seriously, so I don't see the point in them anymore.
It has resulted in me mostly chilling, and being quite inactive, although I do still go to the gym etc. It just seems like I don't know what to do with myself and even though the option is there I just can't bring myself to get stuck into anything and I would rather think about things more and go on the laptop or TV.
I feel so stuck like I can't get into a routine or keep busy, and I can't change. I also feel very stuck inside of my head, and not really "with it" or switched on to the real world...
I am wondering, should I just keep on trying out various things and keep doing what I'm doing - the gym and ice skating, and hope that I will fall in love with something again..? Perhaps if i had more self confidence and a better outlook I would see the good in things more? Or maybe I'm just worrying about it too much. I just end up thinking why am I alive.. I'm so untalented and there is nothing I really want to do or work towards, and I'm unhappy and just bored. I just need to find a way to love life again :frown:
like I will look at my boyfriend who studies maths and watch him talk about all of these complex theories and doing assignments, and it looks more difficult and challenging than what I do. Like I would just whip out an essay just to get it over with, or the multiple choice question assignments weren't hard either, and when we had projects it seemed like a matter of going through the motions, rather than a reflection of any skill... I feel so dumb studying psychology, like it's too easy and unscientific :/ but I don't know what else I would study...
Im not really getting anywhere with this....... I'm just living every day quite easily and feel a major lack of purpose or fulfillment/enjoyment and it's not going awayyyyyyyyy. :/ I'm too indecisive to know what to do about anything ugh.

Sorry this is so long, I'm amazed if anyone bothered to read it.

You are probably a realist, just like me. Life is dull and boring and worthless, some people just don't realise it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending