The Student Room Group

Dallas protest shooting: 11 police officers shot, 4 killed by snipers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by remiremi
I think you will find most gun owners are for background checks and licenses.

Except you don't know anything about firearms, but still you're trying to correct people who do.

Bolt-action (In your words "sniper" ) rifles are a complete non-issue. They have been fully legal in all calibers in the UK for the last 100+ years.

Yeah totally?
Lets get a few things straight;
firstly I never said they were banned, rifles will fall under two licenses the FAC and section five depending and seeing as section 5 is essentially a ban i stand by the point.
Sniper rifles dont have to be bolt action be it single shot, semi-automatic or pump action hell you can have break barrel ones. By sniper rifles I mean guns designed for extreme long range and come in a large bore i.e. something the military would use not someone hunting Deer.
I'm interested here, what colour were the shooters? By the way, shooting officers in the back and hunting them down is not the correct way of justifying police violence...
Those gunmen are no better than the individual policemen that have shot innocent people.

They've just killed some honest policemen trying to do their job, it's just disgusting. And ironically, this is only going to divide people even further and not help the cause all those peaceful protesters were there for.

You do wonder if this could've been avoided if, I don't know, guns weren't so readily available to people in a country as insane as The USA.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
I'm interested here, what colour were the shooters? By the way, shooting officers in the back and hunting them down is not the correct way of justifying police violence...

At least one of those arrested was non black, not sure whether they were Hispanic or Caucasian from the footage given the light

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lord Samosa
Those gunmen are no better than the individual policemen that have shot innocent people.

They've just killed some honest policemen trying to do their job, it's just disgusting. And ironically, this is only going to divide people even further and not help the cause all those peaceful protesters were there for.

You do wonder if this could've been avoided if, I don't know, guns weren't so readily available to people in a country as insane as The USA.

What makes the US inherently more insane than say the UK or Canada?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NickLCFC
Okay, let's take police shootings in 2015 as a basic sample.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

White Males killed - 468
Black Males killed - 248

Black people make ~13% of the US population so black men make up ~6.5%. White people make ~62% of the US population so white men make up ~31%.

If you adjust both figures so they make up 100% of the population, you get the following:

White Males killed (if they were 100% of the population) - 1510
Black Males killed (if they were 100% of the population) - 3800

This would make black males about 2.5x more likely to be killed. When you factor in things like crime rates among races, this higher rate is generally justified.

While I can understand why the police are quicker to reach for their guns when dealing with African Americans some of the incidents show that there's a problem with individual officers. The problem I have is that people seem to be so quick to club all police officers together as though they're all racist murderers.

Original post by mitchell.gkm
You also need a permit in the US if you're buying legally - yes background checks are lenient but licensed dealers don't just go handing out guns to everyone.

You can buy guns at gun shows without the background check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
What on earth is wrong with that country,complete madness.

Will be much worse if Trumpy gets in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Remember guys, it's not black lives matter doing this, it's white people ofc.

Seriously, the US government needs to make Black Lives Matter a domestic terror organisation, it was set up by three black women who took ideas from a most wanted cop killer, it stirs up racial tensions, and now its supporters seem to be murdering police officers. They are terrorists.
Original post by Manchester_123
50% of crime and especially homicides in America is committed by black individuals while 13% of America is black African American, yet they don't bring it on themselves.

Cops kill fraction of percentage of population (over half were violent towards police, 80% armed), yet cops bring it on themselves.

Great ******* logic you idiot.

I can't believe you're trying to justify those killings with statistics.
Original post by Castro Saint
I can't believe you're trying to justify those killings with statistics.

No, you justify shooting armed people resisting arrest with, well, the fact they're armed resisting arrest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jeremy1988
The idea that police hate Black people and intentionally target them is an overly simplistic way of seeing things.

Blacks hate the police too, and the fact that blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops indicates that.

(http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler)

I do, however, agree that there are a lot more complex factors at work.

This isn't an exclusively black issue, it's an American issue and should be treated as such.
Reply 71
Original post by mitchell.gkm
You also need a permit in the US

Not in all states. And definitely not in Texas.
What. Wtf!? This is the first I heard of this. America is on the eve of a second civil war the way they carry on.
Reply 73
Original post by TercioOfParma
Remember guys, it's not black lives matter doing this, it's white people ofc.

Seriously, the US government needs to make Black Lives Matter a domestic terror organisation, it was set up by three black women who took ideas from a most wanted cop killer, it stirs up racial tensions, and now its supporters seem to be murdering police officers. They are terrorists.

BLM was protesting peacefully until the street got shot (by who we don't know yet). Apparently some of them were shot too. This was a coordinated effort by some lone wolfs.
Reply 74
Original post by Playmaker#10
Yes I know.

The sarcasm at the authenticity of the constitution because it's ancient is very asinine.

I find your argument shallow and pedantic.

Spoiler

Reply 75
Original post by Manchester_123
50% of crime and especially homicides in America is committed by black individuals while 13% of America is black African American, yet they don't bring it on themselves.

Cops kill fraction of percentage of population (over half were violent towards police, 80% armed), yet cops bring it on themselves.

Great ******* logic you idiot.

Awful comparisons. Nobody chooses to be black. Blacks have every right to be treated as individuals. Cops however choose to be cops. They choose to support and work for an establishment that oppresses Black Americans, so every member has some culpability to an extent. Especially when they have unions that encourage them to cover for eachother and act homogenously. Cops are ALWAYS silent whenever an innocent unarmed man is murdered.
Original post by Truths
BLM was protesting peacefully until the street got shot (by who we don't know yet). Apparently some of them were shot too. This was a coordinated effort by some lone wolfs.

Well, I have seen them protesting about killing policemen.
Original post by Truths
Awful comparisons. Nobody chooses to be black. Blacks have every right to be treated as individuals. Cops however choose to be cops. They choose to support and work for an establishment that oppresses Black Americans, so every member has some culpability to an extent. Especially when they have unions that encourage them to cover for eachother and act homogenously. Cops are ALWAYS silent whenever an innocent unarmed man is murdered.

Blacks collectively choose to be responsible for about half of all homicides, both overall and of police officers despite only being about an eighth of the population

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Truths

Muslims choose to be Muslims, so every member has some culpability for ISIS and the crimes they carry out against humanity.
Original post by Jammy Duel
No, you justify shooting armed people resisting arrest with, well, the fact they're armed resisting arrest.

Have you actually seen the videos of the recent killings? And many, many videos of the similar situations before this? If you fail to see the problem here you are blind and bathing in your own ignorance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending