The Student Room Group

What's the most interesting thing you have learned this year in maths?

I did some work in dimensional analysis in second semester, and I find it amazing that from some basic knowledge and a photo of the explosion, we can estimate the energy released from the first atomic bomb explosion. You can read this if you are interested: http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/people/codoban/PHY138/Mechanics/dimensional.pdf

So what's the most interesting thing you have learned this year? It can be anything at all from any level of mathematics. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

The Fibonacci sequence is quite interesting and its links to the financial markets
Calculating the Age of the Universe from Hubble's Constant.
Abel's impossibility theorem: There is no solution in radicals to polynomial equations of degree five or higher with arbitrary coefficients. Probably because it took a lot of machinery and was built up for ages and ages just to arrive at this result that I was aware of for a while but never had any idea why. (tbh I am still trying to fully understand it so maybe I can't say I have learned it rather learning it). I remember being told a story by someone at Warwick that GI Taylor shocked everyone by telling them how powerful the bomb just on the back of a piece of paper and they didn't know how to react because they thought they had kept it highly classified and didn't realise it was possible to estimate haaaa.
I would probably say the Baire Category Theorem. Not a massively high tech result but so useful, and with some very pretty consequences.
Reply 5
when you have e^-n, as n approaches infinity then e^-n approaches 0 but don't understand at all why....
Original post by fefssdf
when you have e^-n, as n approaches infinity then e^-n approaches 0 but don't understand at all why....

e^(-n) = 1/e^n.
Now, as n approaches infinity, the e^n approaches infinity - you can see this by considering the graph y=e^x, which continuously increases as x increases.
Thus 1/e^n approaches 1/infinity, i.e. zero.
Reply 7
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
e^(-n) = 1/e^n.
Now, as n approaches infinity, the e^n approaches infinity - you can see this by considering the graph y=e^x, which continuously increases as x increases.
Thus 1/e^n approaches 1/infinity, i.e. zero.

ohhhh interesting - thanks for clearing this up aha
Reply 8
Original post by fefssdf

e^-n = 1/(e^n)

so when n approaches infinity, e^n also approaches infinity

1 divided by a very big number (a.k.a infinity) is 0

so 1/(e^n) approaches 0
Reply 9
Original post by lyamlim97
e^-n = 1/(e^n)

so when n approaches infinity, e^n also approaches infinity

1 divided by a very big number (a.k.a infinity) is 0

so 1/(e^n) approaches 0

thanks yo ! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Most of it was just fairly interesting and not close to mindblowing. I guess the Riemann Series Theorem was the best. Most of analysis 2 (dealing with continuity, differentiation, power series) was very interesting to me but nothing sticks out.
Nothing I did this year was particularly interesting, although I am enjoying learning about group theory atm, especially cyclic groups

Posted from TSR Mobile
2 + 2 = fish!!
YAY!!
:3
Runge-Katta methods for numerically solving complex ordinary differential equations. :biggrin:
Pretty much all the A2 pure modules I did this year. (and M3 relative velocity)
I learned about binomial and Poisson distributions. I have really begun to enjoy statistics.

(I'm still at school not at uni)
Statistics rules :smile: I'm technically not at uni yet either, but I'm studying maths/stats
nothing -.-

I wish the syllabus was better
Original post by Student403
nothing -.-

I wish the syllabus was better

Are you doing GCSE, A Level, or Uni? :smile:
Original post by rayquaza17
Are you doing GCSE, A Level, or Uni? :smile:

Just finished A2 - I really liked the dimensional analysis you posted. Learnt a much more basic version of that this year.. Shame school didn't teach it

Quick Reply

Latest