The Student Room Group

Does tsr support the #blacklivesmattermovement

Or are you against it?

Scroll to see replies

Completely 100% against anyone who thinks that killing innocent officers is somehow advocacy and a form of protest.
My friend supports it.
I base my opinion on black people through these killings, just as much as I judge Muslims based on ISIS.

People should stop judging the majority based on the vast minority.
I agree with the principle, racism in america needs to stop
Can someone inform me on what the movement does? All i know is the hashtag and the fact that they protest?
And how exactly has BLM addressed that?
Original post by Playmaker#10
And how exactly has BLM addressed that?

I don't think they are, I just think they are trying to draw attention to it considering how ubiquitous it is to deny there actually is a problem. You can't solve a problem without acknowledging a problem exists first
The BLM movement is a contradiction. Here's some facts:

"Black people are more likely to go to prison"
According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, black Americans were responsible for 27.8% of all reported crimes and a staggering 51.3% of all homicides in the United States. Given that black Americans only represent 13% of the US's population, doesn't it make sense that a disproportional amount of black men are being sent to prison given that crime among African Americans is disproportionally high?

"Black men are more likely to be shot by police"
According to data provided by the Washington Post (2015), over 50% of all fatal police shootings are white men, with only 25% of all police shootings being black.

"Black men are more likely to die from police shootings than whites or Hispanics"
According to MacDonald, 12% of white and Hispanic homicide deaths were due to police officers, while only four percent of black homicide deaths were the result of police officers.

"White police officers are more likely to shoot African Americans"
According to a Department of Justice report in 2015 about the Philadelphia Police Department, and is further confirmed that by a study conducted University of Pennsylvania criminologist Gary Ridgeway, in 2015 it was determined that black cops were 3.3 times more likely to fire a gun than other cops at a crime scene. We should also remember that yesterday's shooting in Minnesota was enacted by a police officer who was Asian.

"Blacks are more likely to be killed by police than police are to be killed by blacks"
According to FBI data compiled in 2015 found that 40% of cop killers are black. According to MacDonald, a police officer is 2.5 times more likely to be killed by an African American than a cop killing an unarmed black person.

"Cops kill black men at an unprecedented rate"
4,472 black men were killed by other black men annually between Jan. 1, 2009, and Dec. 31, 2012, according to the FBI’s Supplementary Homicide Reports. This equals 2.5% of these 4,472 yearly deaths. For every black man criminal or innocent killed by a cop, 40 black men were murdered by other black men. In percentage terms, only 2.5% of all deaths of black people were by law enforcement officers (intentional homicides).

"White people are more likely to target black people"
According to FBI data, 4,906 black people murdered other blacks in 2010 and 2011. That is 1,460 more black Americans killed by other blacks in two years than were lynched from 1882 to 1968, according to the Tuskegee Institute. According to data provided by the FBI in 2013, 90% of all black homicides were committed by fellow black men. Even though there is only 30 million blacks in the US, they killed 409 white people. In contrast, although there is 192 million white people, they killed just 189 black people.

"An unarmed black man is more likely to be shot than an unarmed white man"
Although an unarmed black man is six times more likely to be shot by police than an unarmed white man, according to the Marshall Project, a nonprofit nonpartisan online journalism organization focusing on issues related to criminal justice in the United States, whilst the “unarmed” label is literally accurate, it frequently fails to convey highly-charged policing situations. In a number of cases, if the victim ended up being unarmed, it was certainly not for lack of trying. At least five black victims had reportedly tried to grab the officer’s gun, or had been beating the cop with his own equipment. Some were shot from an accidental discharge triggered by their own assault on the officer. And two individuals included in the Post’s “unarmed black victims” category were struck by stray bullets aimed at someone else in justified cop shootings. If the victims were not the intended targets, then racism could have played no role in their deaths. In one of those unintended cases, an undercover cop from the New York Police Department was conducting a gun sting in Mount Vernon, just north of New York City. One of the gun traffickers jumped into the cop’s car, stuck a pistol to his head, grabbed $2,400 and fled. The officer gave chase and opened fire after the thief again pointed his gun at him. Two of the officer’s bullets accidentally hit a 61-year-old bystander, killing him. That older man happened to be black, but his race had nothing to do with his tragic death. In the other collateral damage case, Virginia Beach, Virginia, officers approached a car parked at a convenience store that had a homicide suspect in the passenger seat. The suspect opened fire, sending a bullet through an officer’s shirt. The cops returned fire, killing their assailant as well as a woman in the driver’s seat. That woman entered the Post’s database without qualification as an “unarmed black victim” of police fire.
(edited 7 years ago)
I support it, but why shoot innocent police officers? They should be targeting the officers who committed the racist crimes to begin with (i.e., the police officers behind the deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile)
Original post by jake4198

- More white people are killed by cops every year
- Blacks commit 50% of homicides even though they're 13% of the population.
- Only 2.5% of deaths of black Americans last year were committed by police officers.
- Hispanic, Asian and black police officers are 3x more likely to fire than a white cop.
- 90% of all killings last year by blacks was done by a fellow black citizen.
- 12% of white and Hispanic homicide deaths were due to police officers, while only 4% of black homicide deaths were the result of police officers.

Don't forget the most salient point.

According to the FBI, police officers are 18 times more likely to be killed by blacks than blacks are to be killed by police officers.

http://www.youngcons.com/5-facts-to-know-about-police-officers-killing-blacks-the-msm-wont-tell-you/
Original post by Adamski191
I support it, but why shoot innocent police officers? They should be targeting the officers who committed the racist crimes to begin with (i.e., the police officers behind the deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile)

What does that mean exactly?

You mean you want BLM to murder the police officers now?
The BLM group is a weird thing. Kind of like feminism movement in a way.
You have people who support it properly and want equality but a slowly growing majority of those who want to rise above the opposite party, which if anything pushes the 2 sides further apart.

For example, you get the BLM protests which fairly say that black lives should be protected just as anyone else and treated the same because they genuinely feel threatened by police and society.

On the otherside, you have those saying stuff such as "you kill us, we kill you", or spending more time complaining about a man who posted a suspect rightfully in a tweet and the 5th officer death or those trying to say the Micah Xavier Johnson was made up because there were no google results on him.

Personally, I don't really support them, if i was asked to join because it affects people of my skin colour, i would reject.
Original post by Playmaker#10
What does that mean exactly?

You mean you want BLM to murder the police officers now?

I support the BLM, and yes. The officers who killed Sterling and Castile should be lynched. People go absolutely crazy if a corrupt police officer is killed, but if a decent black man is killed, no-one cares. It's wrong in my opinion.
Original post by jake4198

- More white people are killed by cops every year
- Blacks commit 50% of homicides even though they're 13% of the population.
- Only 2.5% of deaths of black Americans last year were committed by police officers.
- Hispanic, Asian and black police officers are 3x more likely to fire than a white cop.
- 90% of all killings last year by blacks was done by a fellow black citizen.
- 12% of white and Hispanic homicide deaths were due to police officers, while only 4% of black homicide deaths were the result of police officers.

Haven't you heard? The only stats that count are the ones that are said by news outlets and celebrites.

Do you know the police officer who shot Philando Castile was Asian?
(edited 7 years ago)
I support the BLM, and yes. The officers who killed Sterling and Castile should be lynched. People go absolutely crazy if a corrupt police officer is killed, but if a decent black man is killed, no-one cares. It's wrong in my opinion.

That not true at all. If anything, its the other way round, black man killed by policemen, innocent or not, make news easily, supported by celebrities and activist and cause weeks of violent protests.

Okay so you're saying Alton sterling, the man with over 20 offences, who was a registered sex offender and went to prison for 5 years for illegally possessing a fire-arm and selling substances is a "decent black man" ?
Original post by Blue_Mason
Or are you against it?

Do you support it or are you against it?
ps i'm not hopeful about your answer.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Or are you against it?

Pssssssstttt....

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest