The Student Room Group

Does tsr support the #blacklivesmattermovement

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Playmaker#10
The difference here is that she said that she hasn't seen anyone praise the killers of the dallas police officers, which was an ignorant statement.

I never said that there weren't vicious racists in America.

Pointless strawman argument there.

Saying that I personally have not seen it doesn't mean that no one did. I was trying to point out that you were generalising for this particular case.
The actions of BLM in the past might be questionable and I don't agree with all of it but it doesn't mean all BLM supporters are violent, hateful nuts.
"Black people who kill other black people don't do it because they're black."

No, they only do it because they are brought up in a ghetto drug filled gun totting fatherless culture that worships and praises gang-bangers and gangsta rap.

The culture of black people in the slum is what needs to be addressed, the disproportionate amount of crime black people commit needs to be addressed, I've already said that there might be a serious problem with violence in the police department, but why are black people only concerned about this when the killer is a white police officer?

White people get murdered in a far greater amount than black people the only difference is that they aren't funded by globalists who want to divide and conquer America

They do it because of redlining. They do it because of segregation in schools. And neighbourhoods. And jobs. They do it because of Little Rock Nine. They do it because of centuries of oppression, forcing black people into poor neighbourhoods creating "the ghetto". They do it because America is a nation built on white supremacy, based on the failure of black people and the success of white people. You do not throw a can of soda into the wall and then blame it when it bursts open.
Yes, the Black community has significant issues that need to be addressed like all communities, but that does not ****ing give police officers a free pass to kill them.
Black people aren't shot to death in the comforts of their own home and neighbourhoods and schools because they are thugs. These men are unarmed. Eric Garner was unarmed. Tamir Rice was unarmed. Amadou Diallo was unarmed. Trayvon Martin was unarmed. Sandra Bland was unarmed.
The police officer who shot Alton Sterling was Asian. The BLM movement still cares, it's nothing to do with being white, it's to do with excessive force in the police force.
"White people get murdered in a far greater amount than black people"
No, they don't. The police killed nearly half as many black people a white people in the US in 2015.
Stop justifying their deaths.
Btw its all tedious this thread.

1. Unlawful police killings should be condemned and not happen..
2. Retaliation and killing police is not the way to go for revenge. Levae it to the criminal justice system.
3. Plenty of you are attributing more responsibiliy to the BLM than it has. Its condemned the killings.
Original post by elizah
I'm talking about unarmed young black men. I'm talking about the cases where excessive force was not necessary, i.e. police brutality. Black men are overrepresented in these cases, and 25% of all police officers openly admit to having seen racial profiling while on duty.

Number one:
Black people who kill other black people don't do it because they're black.
Number two:
Everyone has the right to a fair trial.
Number three:
Black people who do kill other black people go to ****ing jail.
Justice is served. If a police officer murders someone unarmed in cold blood, regardless whether they are Black or White or Hispanic or Asian, justice should be served.
Police officers are not above the law. The guy who shot the police officers is dead. The police officers who murdered Eric Garner and Tamir Rice are not even behind bars. Get some perspective.

Although an unarmed black man is six times more likely to be shot by police than an unarmed white man, according to the Marshall Project, a nonprofit nonpartisan online journalism organization focusing on issues related to criminal justice in the United States, whilst the “unarmed” label is literally accurate, it frequently fails to convey highly-charged policing situations. In a number of cases, if the victim ended up being unarmed, it was certainly not for lack of trying. At least five black victims had reportedly tried to grab the officer’s gun, or had been beating the cop with his own equipment. Some were shot from an accidental discharge triggered by their own assault on the officer. And two individuals included in the Post’s “unarmed black victims” category were struck by stray bullets aimed at someone else in justified cop shootings.

If the victims were not the intended targets, then racism could have played no role in their deaths. In one of those unintended cases, an undercover cop from the New York Police Department was conducting a gun sting in Mount Vernon, just north of New York City. One of the gun traffickers jumped into the cop’s car, stuck a pistol to his head, grabbed $2,400 and fled. The officer gave chase and opened fire after the thief again pointed his gun at him. Two of the officer’s bullets accidentally hit a 61-year-old bystander, killing him. That older man happened to be black, but his race had nothing to do with his tragic death. In the other collateral damage case, Virginia Beach, Virginia, officers approached a car parked at a convenience store that had a homicide suspect in the passenger seat. The suspect opened fire, sending a bullet through an officer’s shirt. The cops returned fire, killing their assailant as well as a woman in the driver’s seat. That woman entered the Post’s database without qualification as an “unarmed black victim” of police fire.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Firstly, I don't see what the issue is with racial profiling. It is a fact that any given black person is more likely to be a criminal, than any given white person. Now whilst that is down to a whole range of cultural and socioeconomic reasons, and not an inherent trait of being black, it is nonetheless a fact. So racial profiling is both entirely natural, and indeed logical.

Racial profiling means more innocent black people will be unjustly killed/incarcerated though. Which is indeed what happens.
Original post by StrawbAri
Racial profiling means more innocent black people will be unjustly killed/incarcerated though. Which is indeed what happens.

You haven't explained in what way racial profiling is logically inconsistent. If it is a fact that black people are more likely to commit a crime, then it is entirely logical for the police to pay them more attention. Similarly, the police also pay more attention to young people than old, and more attention to men than women, as these demographics are more likely to commit crimes. Should we all get on our high horse about age and gender profiling?
I don't think black lives matter any more than lives of other skin colours.
Furthermore, I don't feel that 'BLM' is entirely justified.
Not really. I think that black lives matter but I don't agree with the organisation's aims. The fact that one of the Dallas cop killers shouted Black Lives matter makes me dislike them more.

#alllivesmatter
#bluelivesmatter
#whyamiusingahashtagontsr
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elizah
They do it because of redlining. They do it because of segregation in schools. And neighbourhoods. And jobs. They do it because of Little Rock Nine. They do it because of centuries of oppression, forcing black people into poor neighbourhoods creating "the ghetto". They do it because America is a nation built on white supremacy, based on the failure of black people and the success of white people. You do not throw a can of soda into the wall and then blame it when it bursts open.

So what about all the black people who have worked out to get themselves out of these ghettos and made successful people out of themselves. Do you think they got to where they were by blaming all their problems on white people and the past? No, they decided to work and make a life for themselves, rather than blame all their problems on people, America is a free country which allows any hard working person to succeed so this idea that white people are the reason for the demise of black people here and now where we have a Black president, Black attorney general, black supreme court justice, black senators, black billionaires and black sport and music icons is rubbish.

And most of the people in America on food stamps and welfare are white, so much for blacks failing and whites succeeding.

Original post by elizah

Yes, the Black community has significant issues that need to be addressed like all communities, but that does not ****ing give police officers a free pass to kill them.
Black people aren't shot to death in the comforts of their own home and neighbourhoods and schools because they are thugs. These men are unarmed. Eric Garner was unarmed. Tamir Rice was unarmed. Amadou Diallo was unarmed. Trayvon Martin was unarmed. Sandra Bland was unarmed.

The results for all those deaths were mainly because the Police officer feared for their own safety and gave out instructions to them and they failed to follow it, if they did, they wouldn't be dead right now, if you follow the law, nothing will happen to you, and again, i'm not saying that there isn't a problem with the police department but to say that the reason why all those names you mentioned were killed, just because of their skin colour is the most asinine thing anyone can say.
Original post by elizah

The police officer who shot Alton Sterling was Asian. The BLM movement still cares, it's nothing to do with being white, it's to do with excessive force in the police force.

No he wasn't, you're talking about the other man that died, so please get your facts right Alton sterling was a criminal who disobeyed the instructions given to him, not saying he deserved to die but he's not an angel himself.
Original post by elizah

"White people get murdered in a far greater amount than black people"
No, they don't. The police killed nearly half as many black people a white people in the US in 2015.
Stop justifying their deaths.

Nonsense, I can't have a debate with someone who doesn't even understand the basic federal statistics about crimes, clearly you're just another person who reads stuff on twitter and thinks they are an expert.

According to statistics maintained by the far-left extremist Guardian newspaper in Britain, more than half of all people killed by US police this year have been white, while only 25 percent have been black.
http://newobserveronline.com/far-more-whites-killed-by-us-police/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Not really. I think that black lives matter but I don't agree with the organisation's aims. The fact that one of the Dallas cop killers shouted Black Lives matter makes me dislike them more.

#alllivesmatter
#bluelivesmatter
#whyamiusingahashtagontsr

It's already been confirmed that the shooters were part of their own group. They were not associated with BLM and their peaceful protest. He just shouted black lives matter.
Firstly, I don't see what the issue is with racial profiling. It is a fact that any given black person is more likely to be a criminal, than any given white person. Now whilst that is down to a whole range of cultural and socioeconomic reasons, and not an inherent trait of being black, it is nonetheless a fact. So racial profiling is both entirely natural, and indeed logical.

Secondly, the scene you're setting does not apply to the death of Alton Sterling. We are talking about someone who had multiple criminal convictions, and more pertinently, the police were called out because someone was out on the streets waving a gun around. They restrained him, and then someone shouts 'he's got a gun!' as the guy is visibly trying to shake off the cop. In that scenario, I can understand why the cop acted the way he did. He was quite understandably concerned that he was about to get shot. Similarly, in the other one, the guy announces he has a gun and then sticks his hand into his glove compartment without further ado. Now, maybe these were cases of racism, maybe they weren't. I can't profess to know for sure either way. But in general, I have a lot of sympathy for cops in the US. I don't know why anyone would choose to do it.

And I'd suggest that's the reason behind so much 'police brutality' in the States. You're talking about a country where every man and his dog has a firearm. Every time someone sticks a hand in their pocket or under their glove compartment, it is entirely plausible that they could pull a gun out. The police have to be heavy handed, because if they aren't then they'll get shot.

"I don't see the issue with racial profiling"
The issue with racial profiling is the fact that being black is not a crime. Police officers are supposed to protect us using the law. Stopping black people on no other basis than being black is illegal and creates bias. For instance, 5 times as many Whites are using drugs as Black people, yet Black people are sent to prison for drug offenses at 10 times the rate of whites. This isn't due to an inherent "black people use more drugs", this is all about racial profiling and creates discrimination which perpetrates the myth about Black people as "thugs".

"We are talking about someone who had multiple criminal convictions"
Everybody has the right to a fair trial. He deserves to go to jail, if so. The police does not dictate his punishment. I repeat: THE POLICE DOES NOT DICTATE HIS PUNISHMENT.

If the victim had been white said victim would have been shot in the hip. Said victim would have been shot in the leg. Said victim would have been shot in arm. Said victim would not have been shot fatally.
There was no gun. There was not sufficient evidence.

"Every time someone sticks a hand in their pocket or under their glove compartment, it is entirely plausible that they could pull a gun out. The police have to be heavy handed, because if they aren't then they'll get shot."

Whites are twice as likely to own guns and carry out the second amendment than Blacks or Latinos. This thinking is absolutely insane.
#nolivesmatter
You haven't explained in what way racial profiling is logically inconsistent. If it is a fact that black people are more likely to commit a crime, then it is entirely logical for the police to pay them more attention. Similarly, the police also pay more attention to young people than old, and more attention to men than women, as these demographics are more likely to commit crimes. Should we all get on our high horse about age and gender profiling?

Didn't say it was illogical. It's just that it will lead to problems.
It means old white women are more likely to get away with a crime because no one would suspect the little old lady. People should be seen as individuals that way there is less chance for an innocent person to get in trouble.
Original post by jake4198
Although an unarmed black man is six times more likely to be shot by police than an unarmed white man, according to the Marshall Project, a nonprofit nonpartisan online journalism organization focusing on issues related to criminal justice in the United States, whilst the “unarmed” label is literally accurate, it frequently fails to convey highly-charged policing situations. In a number of cases, if the victim ended up being unarmed, it was certainly not for lack of trying. At least five black victims had reportedly tried to grab the officer’s gun, or had been beating the cop with his own equipment. Some were shot from an accidental discharge triggered by their own assault on the officer. And two individuals included in the Post’s “unarmed black victims” category were struck by stray bullets aimed at someone else in justified cop shootings.

If the victims were not the intended targets, then racism could have played no role in their deaths. In one of those unintended cases, an undercover cop from the New York Police Department was conducting a gun sting in Mount Vernon, just north of New York City. One of the gun traffickers jumped into the cop’s car, stuck a pistol to his head, grabbed $2,400 and fled. The officer gave chase and opened fire after the thief again pointed his gun at him. Two of the officer’s bullets accidentally hit a 61-year-old bystander, killing him. That older man happened to be black, but his race had nothing to do with his tragic death. In the other collateral damage case, Virginia Beach, Virginia, officers approached a car parked at a convenience store that had a homicide suspect in the passenger seat. The suspect opened fire, sending a bullet through an officer’s shirt. The cops returned fire, killing their assailant as well as a woman in the driver’s seat. That woman entered the Post’s database without qualification as an “unarmed black victim” of police fire.

2 plus 4 equals guacamole.
How in anyway does this respond to the racial disparity when it comes to young black men being shot and young white men being shot?
Officers make mistakes in cases of white unarmed deaths too.
Reply 94
on principle i dont especially care either way in practice they should be flogged, allowing such brazen terrorist elements into their ranks and making [lets me honest] quite an offensively poor apology.
Original post by elizah
"I don't see the issue with racial profiling"
The issue with racial profiling is the fact that being black is not a crime. Police officers are supposed to protect us using the law. Stopping black people on no other basis than being black is illegal and creates bias. For instance, 5 times as many Whites are using drugs as Black people, yet Black people are sent to prison for drug offenses at 10 times the rate of whites. This isn't due to an inherent "black people use more drugs", this is all about racial profiling and creates discrimination which perpetrates the myth about Black people as "thugs".

"We are talking about someone who had multiple criminal convictions"
Everybody has the right to a fair trial. He deserves to go to jail, if so. The police does not dictate his punishment. I repeat: THE POLICE DOES NOT DICTATE HIS PUNISHMENT.

If the victim had been white said victim would have been shot in the hip. Said victim would have been shot in the leg. Said victim would have been shot in arm. Said victim would not have been shot fatally.
There was no gun. There was not sufficient evidence.

"Every time someone sticks a hand in their pocket or under their glove compartment, it is entirely plausible that they could pull a gun out. The police have to be heavy handed, because if they aren't then they'll get shot."

Whites are twice as likely to own guns and carry out the second amendment than Blacks or Latinos. This thinking is absolutely insane.

Again, you haven't presented any logical rebuttal to racial profiling. The police are disproportionately stopping people who belong to a demographic which disproportionately commits crime. Similarly, they are more likely to stop a young person than an old person, and more likely to stop a man than a women. This doesn't mean that they're saying being young or a man is a crime, it means that they are more likely to have done something criminal so there is a higher chance that a stop-and-search will reveal something. I don't hear anyone getting on their high horse over the police being ageist or sexist though.

As you may have read, I followed that with 'and more pertinently, the police were called out because someone was out on the streets waving a gun around'. My point wasn't 'he's got a track record, so he should have been shot'. My point was 'he's a convicted criminal, who the police know has a firearm in his possession; he is visibly resisting arrest; you just heard someone shout "he's got a gun"' so it is understandable that the copper feared for his safety and that of those around him, and took action.

The police kill plenty of whites and latinos too. The fact that they're more likely to own a weapon is besides the point. Black people are massively, disproportionately involved in gun crime. It is therefore fairly understandable that more black people would be killed, given as they are more likely to be involved in the kind of serious crimes which necessitates such a response.
So what about all the black people who have worked out to get themselves out of these ghettos and made successful people out of themselves. Do you think they got to where they were by blaming all their problems on white people and the past? No, they decided to work and make a life for themselves, rather than blame all their problems on people, America is a free country which allows any hard working person to succeed so this idea that white people are the reason for the demise of black people here and now where we have a Black president, Black attorney general, black supreme court justice, black senators, black billionaires and black sport and music icons is rubbish.

And most of the people in America on food stamps and welfare are white, so much for blacks failing and whites succeeding.

The results for all those deaths were mainly because the Police officer feared for their own safety and gave out instructions to them and they failed to follow it, if they did, they wouldn't be dead right now, if you follow the law, nothing will happen to you, and again, i'm not saying that there isn't a problem with the police department but to say that the reason why all those names you mentioned were killed, just because of their skin colour is the most asinine thing anyone can say.

No he wasn't, you're talking about the other man that died, so please get your facts right Alton sterling was a criminal who disobeyed the instructions given to him, not saying he deserved to die but he's not an angel himself.

Nonsense, I can't have a debate with someone who doesn't even understand the basic federal statistics about crimes, clearly you're just another person who reads stuff on twitter and thinks they are an expert.

According to statistics maintained by the far-left extremist Guardian newspaper in Britain, more than half of all people killed by US police this year have been white, while only 25 percent have been black.
http://newobserveronline.com/far-more-whites-killed-by-us-police/

"America is a free country which allows any hard working person to succeed "
that's where i stopped reading.
Original post by Novascope
It's already been confirmed that the shooters were part of their own group. They were not associated with BLM and their peaceful protest. He just shouted black lives matter.

https://www.informationliberation.com/?id=54378

http://www.infowars.com/black-lives-matter-supporters-threaten-to-riot-over-alton-sterling-death/

http://www.infowars.com/more-statues-and-property-vandalized-by-blacklivesmatter-protesters/

These people are and the rioting that BLM members usally take part in is hardly what I would call a "peaceful protest"
Original post by StrawbAri
Didn't say it was illogical. It's just that it will lead to problems.
It means old white women are more likely to get away with a crime because no one would suspect the little old lady. People should be seen as individuals that way there is less chance for an innocent person to get in trouble.

But it means they're more likely to catch the young men committing most of the crime, which means that overall, more criminals are caught.
Well unlike liberals and BLM supporters.

We actually have brains

If Cops were so evil and corrupt how come you're still alive, why hasn't an officer knocked our door down and killed me or you?

you certainly do not have brains :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest